G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Motor Trend Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 10:26 PM
Jaded

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suspect that it won't. There's no difference with the sedan so I think it'll be the same with the coupe.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:30 AM
bubbletea 4 me

i think the weight of the new G37 will be an issue. if you guys read all the reviews..it's mostly positive, but it also mentioned that it does not pull as hard in straight line as a 335i.. even with 330hp. what gives? WEIGHT!!
i'm nto totally surprised that the new one is heavier than our 03-06.. however, 36xxlb? GOD.. its bad.
i already think our current car is wayyy too over weight..with bigger engine, more "toys" and gimics in the car (thats weight), the added stregth to the ridgity of the car, etc.. no doubt adds more weight. it's very sad though.
if they could shave a couple hundred lbs off the current car, they wont even have to increase the hp to be competitive with bmw and lexus. rightnow, it looks like the straight line performance of the G37 wont even equal 335i.. sigh..

maybe when the "370Z" get's the 3.7L, it will be a little bit better. afterall, they do weight less than we are and is more of a sports car!
Old 03-23-2007, 09:03 AM
G-WannaBe

I think some of that weight comes from being a lux coupe. You can not compete in this segment with out heated leather, nav, moonroofs, big 19 inch wheels, big 6 cl engines, massive rotors, now we hear about AWS, rumors of AWD, ... it all adds up like a fat man at a buffet, the more you have to keep up with the jones'...

You can choose to not have some of these, but then you get a base model w/o toys, less fun, less resale...

The 335 is just as heavy, almost, and they use the hair dryers to get off the line for instant power. For this to be non turbo and have the same torque rating as the new M V8 from Bimmer, its quite impressive. I would also love for the weight to have come in lower, but I am not sure that is possible these days anymore...

Look back 15 years, and you will see a lot of coupes with less weight, but today you also have to add saftey cages, airbags, improved crumple zones,
re-inforced B pillars, more emission crap then a factory, none of the cars from the 1980's had these, let alone early 1990's.

Skinny is the Lotus Elise, now thats running lean, a wheel to stear by and a nearly all metal cabin, but light weight Lux coupes in this day and age are not going to be common products.

07 328/335 = ranges 3351, 3417, 3627, 3582, 3571, 3582
07 911 Turbo = 3,572
07 Mustang = ranges 3,352 up to 3,540
Old 03-23-2007, 09:39 AM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Seriously, this isnt a sports car, its a sports luxury coupe. You want light weight? Fine, take out your stereo, your navi screen, your seats, all your interior panels, your carpetting, and your spare tire while youre at it. Oh wait, its no longer a sports luxury coupe, its now a drag time sh*t box. You want a sports car? Go buy a lotus or a vette, see how comfy it is then... Some people are downright amazing...

Last edited by picus112; 03-23-2007 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:01 AM
RBull

Originally Posted by chilibowl
Seriously, this isnt a sports car, its a sports luxury coupe. You want light weight? Fine, take out your stereo, your navi screen, your seats, all your interior panels, your carpetting, and your spare tire while youre at it. Oh wait, its no longer a sports luxury coupe, its now a drag time sh*t box. Idiots, get over the weight issue and mod your car for more power. You want a sports car? Go buy a lotus or a vette, see how comfy it is then... Some people are downright amazing...
Whatever you want to call it won't change the car. Virtually no sports and/or luxury car made today doesn't include all the features you mention. Only race cars don't have seats, interior panels, carpeting removed etc. Therefore thats not really an excuse for having a heavy car relative to others in the class.

I think all most people here want is a car that is the same or slightly less weight than the last gen. Like most cars each succesive gen gets heavier and bigger and then the manufacturer brings out a new smaller model to replace/fill that model void. That's unfortunate in the sportier class of cars where performance and handling are a bigger consideration for buyers than other classes of cars.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:16 AM
GT-Ron

It's kind of hard to justify a big focus on light weight, over luxury, when most of you bought the heaviest, most optioned G you could at the time. Infiniti is only giving us what the majority of you want.

I'd love if sales of the hardtop (base) 6MT justified offering a relative light-weight, special-edition model. But I think it's just me and a handfull of others here that went for the more rigid, lighter version of the 6MT.

Last edited by GT-Ron; 03-23-2007 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:07 AM
InfinitiFreak

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaded
I suspect that it won't. There's no difference with the sedan so I think it'll be the same with the coupe.
Yes, both AT and MT will have 330 hp.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:49 AM
Jaded

Originally Posted by G-WannaBe
The 335 is just as heavy, almost, and they use the hair dryers to get off the line for instant power.
Haha hair dryers, that's awesome!

Originally Posted by chilibowl
Idiots, get over the weight issue and mod your car for more power.
I, and probably the rest of us, would appreciate it if you could do without the name calling. This is a legitmate debate that affects performance of a vehicle.

You guys are absolutely right, this is a sport lux car, not a pure sports so all the lux amenities add to the weight. And again, this platform is shared out so widely it has to be robust and strong. What puzzles me a little is the 07 G sedan Sport 6MT weighs in at 3500lb...can a slightly larger engine displacement and rotors really push the weight 200lb more? What the hell else are they adding to this coupe? 3700lb is really pushing the limit even for a sport lux coupe, though, and if they wanted to, they could've reduced it albeit, probably raising the cost a little. Nevertheless, I think it'll still be a great car and Infiniti has done a fantastic job of competing directly with BMW.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:42 PM
dec55

The G37c should be at least 4.9 in the 0-60, if it is to really turn to serious
competition...and silence the skeptics. And that should be just the auto.....
Love the car....hope it really can hit the low 4's with cheap mods.

Last edited by dec55; 03-23-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:59 PM
medgar

I love the G37c, and think it is a lot of car for the money. Someone mentioned cheap mods for the new coupe to bring the 0-60 time in the low 4's. From what I hear that is hard to do on a N/A engine. Although I just read an article in autoweek that says you can add 60hp and 70 torque to a 335i with an ECU flash, for only $1300.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../70315001/1004
Old 03-23-2007, 02:29 PM
muscarel

Originally Posted by dec55
The G37c should be at least 4.9 in the 0-60, if it is to really turn to serious
competition...and silence the skeptics. And that should be just the auto.....
Love the car....hope it really can hit the low 4's with cheap mods.
Low 4's will never happen with cheap mods. Corvettes are doing mid-4's and that's with 400 hp, a whole lot more torque, 600 lbs less weight, and most importantly it was engineered for this power. What does a Lamborhini Murcielago do? 3.9? Even the Procede mod that keeps getting brought up for the 335 - It bumps power up by something like 100 horsepower, and the 1/4 mile time only dropped a few tenths. I bet the 0-60 time is actually worse. Traction is what drives this. The bmw's that are running those low times are using drag radials, not ordinary summer tires that these cars come with.

Improving a car that runs 16 second 1/4 mile times is a lot easier than improving the straight line performance of a higher performance car.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:00 PM
RV1

Originally Posted by medgar
Although I just read an article in autoweek that says you can add 60hp and 70 torque to a 335i with an ECU flash, for only $1300.
This is one benefit of turbo cars. You can simply turn up the boost with a chip and get a lot of power for a small expenditure compared to NA vehicles.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:53 PM
dothemath
Charter Member Florida G35 Club

As an owner of a "Light Weight" edition of the G35 coupe...hehe...that doesn't have the sunroof, extra Bose Speakers or a couple of electrical gadgets I say CUT THE WEIGHT. As an owner takes his car to HPDE days at Sebring, I say CUT THE WEIGHT. As someone who is not selling his paid off 2004 coupe for a new 2008, everyone else will say WHO CARES. But weight is important and the least possible the better.

Also, the front looks my sleek G35 coupe and my wifes chubby SC430 had a baby and named it G37. I am not impressed by the exterior photos as of yet.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:02 AM
Rampant

Originally Posted by G-WannaBe
The 335 is just as heavy, almost, and they use the hair dryers to get off the line for instant power. For this to be non turbo and have the same torque rating as the new M V8 from Bimmer, its quite impressive.
Just to clear some things up, turbos don't help "get off the line" as they don't have "instant power". It takes time for the exhaust to spin the compressor. Even small turbos take some time.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:25 AM
JZ39

Originally Posted by Rampant
Just to clear some things up, turbos don't help "get off the line" as they don't have "instant power". It takes time for the exhaust to spin the compressor. Even small turbos take some time.

???

They do if you rev the motor to 3500 and then drop the clutch!!!! Those turbos are spooling by then for sure.

I love the comment about the last lightweight G from the guy with the 03---

that's exactly how I feel about my 04--

In 03/04 the G was a sports/luxury coupe--with sport first and luxury second.

In 05-07 it became a luxury/sports coupe--with luxury first and sport second.

It remains to be seen what the new G is, but I think with the continual weight increase it is becoming more and more luxury and less and less sport. This thing weighs as much as my 2001 Acura CLS which was a total PIG!!

Last edited by JZ39; 03-24-2007 at 12:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Review