Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Motor Trend Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 01:57 AM
ElixXxeR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rampant
Well, the 335i is 3571, and the G37 is expected to be 3682 according to Edmunds. That is a 110 pound difference.

And, in my opinion, both are too heavy. The TT is 3218# with the 3.2 V6 and AWD (according to Edmunds.com) -- I am not sure why either the 3 or the G needs to be 300-400 pounds heavier.
Edmunds test weight was WITH DRIVER.

And you must be joking, comparing the G37 to a TT. Go check out the TT powe ratings and dimensions (the new TT is also made with an aluminum front end) and think about it again. Furthermore, the G37 will be less expensive than the TT, annihilate it in every performance category, have usable rear seats, and a larger trunk. The weight isn't difficult to understand and the cars are not at all competitors.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:29 AM
Rampant

Originally Posted by ElixXxeR
Edmunds test weight was WITH DRIVER.

And you must be joking, comparing the G37 to a TT. Go check out the TT powe ratings and dimensions (the new TT is also made with an aluminum front end) and think about it again. Furthermore, the G37 will be less expensive than the TT, annihilate it in every performance category, have usable rear seats, and a larger trunk. The weight isn't difficult to understand and the cars are not at all competitors.
Um, how are you so confident it weighed was with driver? They compared it to being ~100 pounds over the current gen, so it seems to be curb weight (which is without driver if I am correct).

Also, I wasn't comparing the cars toe-to-toe, as one could argue the G is comparatively lacking in much of the fit/finish/quality areas, just merely using it as a comparison on weight. Their 3.2 V6 shouldn't be much lighter than the 3.7, plus it has AWD, which means it should be heavier. So, why the 300-400 pound difference to the G? A bigger trunk and rear seat?

Also, let's hold off on the price comparisons until we actually get pricing. I hope I am wrong, but I think we might be in store for a bigger price jump than many expect. So, if there is only $3-$4k separating the TT and G, that doesn't explain why the G couldn't use aluminum components as well.

After all, the TT's price didn't jump much with the switch to aluminum components ($1k IIRC).

And, if you really want to get into the price-to-performance comparisons, you can't help but bring up the Evo and Sti. The point is, there is always trade-offs in performance, luxury, and price. The G is the middle-ground on just about everything, and that's the way it is supposed to be.

I just wish it was lighter, that's all. The TT is just one example of how a competitor in the near-luxury sporty coupe market has put an emphasis on reducing weight and it has paid off tremendously in the way the car drives.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:42 AM
skaterbasist

Rampant,

What's with you and the weight issue?

I think we better wait for the official numbers before we speculate whether these numbers are accurate or not, or if they forgot to include other factors such as a full tank of gas and driver.

We should know soon.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:43 AM
lil_leftyy

On Sale In U.S. August 2

is this true? theyre gonna be at dealers by the beg of august? can anyone confirm this?
Old 03-22-2007, 06:06 AM
muscarel

Not to belabor the weight issue, but I think the 3680 lb weight is without driver. The bmw weight they compared it to was without driver, so it wouldn't make sense to compare it to a G with driver. It would not stop me from buying the car (it's a GT car, not a sports car) but I agree that if they made it one of their priorities (even just to not gain weight), they could have done it. Then they wouldn't need 330 hp to move the car as well. The issue is that the platform is overbuilt to handle everything from cars to trucks. It is not a dedicated platform for the G alone.

Anyway, looks are starting to grow on me. I think the badging alone on the car helps the back angle and the front now seems muscular to me. Waiting to see it in person.

By the way, someone mentioned that motor trend did not drive the car. The article I remember had driving impessions. I think on the 2nd page. Too lazy to check.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:58 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by ElixXxeR
My point is that I never hear anyone complain about weight for the 335i. And if 3,600lbs. is correct for the new coupe, it only weighs ~70lbs. more than your car. Considering the massive performance increase, it's more than worth it.

The 03 curb weight was around 3400. I agree though that if the '08 actually performs better it is a moot point, but I just think about how better it would perform at closer to 3400 lbs. Keep in mind too that the handling feel often changes with more weight even if it actually performs better.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:19 PM
Ahujadaddy

Originally Posted by jackygor

................On Sale In U.S. August 2

5.2...hope it hits 5.0
??? You mean Aug21 i think. That's wut some of the sites (like Nissan Sports Magazine) are saying and i have yet to hear anything different.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:58 PM
Jaded

If you've got the muscle to pull all that weight in a straight line then who cares, but this isn't an American POS muscle car. It's Japanese, it's GT, handling and cornering are just as important and weight DOES play a huge factor no matter what. I've been in S2000s that have caught up with M3s through a series of turns because there is so little side to side weight distribution (of course when the straightline hit the M3 smoked us, hehe). Whoever said that if Infiniti wanted to place emphasis on weight reduction they could've is right. Hell look at the new Corvette. It's got a 6L engine and it only weighs 3100lb! Yes it's a 2 seater but my point is it can be done.

The problem is, as mentioned, the platform is so widely used and shared with other vehicles that it has to be robust, scalable, and withstand the other vehicles' requirements. Kinda sucks. I'm a big fan of the new G, but I also am skeptical of the weight, too.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:32 PM
dklau33

Originally Posted by Jaded
If you've got the muscle to pull all that weight in a straight line then who cares, but this isn't an American POS muscle car. It's Japanese, it's GT, handling and cornering are just as important and weight DOES play a huge factor no matter what. I've been in S2000s that have caught up with M3s through a series of turns because there is so little side to side weight distribution (of course when the straightline hit the M3 smoked us, hehe). Whoever said that if Infiniti wanted to place emphasis on weight reduction they could've is right. Hell look at the new Corvette. It's got a 6L engine and it only weighs 3100lb! Yes it's a 2 seater but my point is it can be done.

The problem is, as mentioned, the platform is so widely used and shared with other vehicles that it has to be robust, scalable, and withstand the other vehicles' requirements. Kinda sucks. I'm a big fan of the new G, but I also am skeptical of the weight, too.
I think the Corvette is a bit of a bad example. That car uses a lot of fiberglass body panels, hence the lighter weight.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:53 PM
Jaded

Ya I guess you're right, plus I think it's aluminum chassis? But my point is you can make a car weigh less without compromising engine power/size or luxury amenities, etc. and that weight does matter for performance. Hmm, a Corvette invoices at $39K, maybe I should get that instead....
Old 03-22-2007, 03:55 PM
Rampant

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
Rampant, What's with you and the weight issue?
Besides the obvious performance advantages, weight plays an even bigger role in how the car feels. And that is more important to me than stats or times (I know that is blasphemy for bench racers to hear).

The TT serves as a great example of the this. The new car is heralded as being far superior to the old car, yet the only major difference is the slightly stiffer body, 200# weight reduction and better weight balance. Also, many of the reviewers say the 3.2 quattro barely feels noticeably faster, despite the 50hp/30tq power difference and a 0.6 second 0-60 difference. It is faster, for sure, but doesn't feel much faster. It is the exact same platform, yet the 2.0 is 200# lighter and doesn't have the AWD traction. Also, many reviewers I have seen say the 2.0 feels more nimble and tossable. And that, to me, equals a more fun drive.

Also, Audi was able to do all of this and keep the car within $1k of the outgoing car. For me, that is huge. It is MUCH easier to add power in the aftermarket, than it is to lighten a car by 200 pounds.

I am probably in the minority, but I don't want a "cheap 3 series" -- I want a different driving experience. More sports car (nimble and quick), less touring car (fast, but numb). I have owned a wide range of cars, and for me, the most fun have always been the lightest, not the most powerful. But, that is just me.

There is no doubt the G is a great car, but just imagine what it would be like 200 pounds lighter. And you can't use the "other manufacturers are heavy" argument, because there are just as many manufacturers who are lighter (maybe even more).
Old 03-22-2007, 04:12 PM
Msedanman
O.F. Administrator

Somewhere in those writeups I read Aug. 2 (I remember 'cuz that my b'day)
but look in the first drive section for better and more accurate details.
(wheelbase is unchanged at 112.2").

08 Coupe First Drive

C.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:14 PM
Jaded

Originally Posted by Rampant
It is MUCH easier to add power in the aftermarket, than it is to lighten a car by 200 pounds.
++1
Old 03-22-2007, 04:19 PM
Ahujadaddy

Originally Posted by Msedanman
Somewhere in those writeups I read Aug. 2 (I remember 'cuz that my b'day)
but look in the first drive section for better and more accurate details.
(wheelbase is unchanged at 112.2").

08 Coupe First Drive

C.
Aug 2 would be sw333t! The link in your post just says Aug 2007
nissansportmag is sayin Aug21 in a very matter of fact way on the very first line of their article:

"The appearance of the all-new Infiniti G37 Coupe, which arrives in dealer showrooms August 21, is a striking sight. "

LINK TO ARTICLE
Old 03-22-2007, 08:37 PM
FlameOn
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Does anyone know if the hp is going to be different between MT and AT.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Review