Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Too Similar?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 03:02 PM
skaterbasist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skaterbasist
I'm sure (and hope) it wont make it into production. This would be like a cheap G35 coupe... therefore would kill G35 sales.

Nissan wouldnt (and shouldnt) be this stupid to make an altima that has almost identical lines as the G35, with the exception of the front and rear.

If it DOES make it to production, im selling my G35!

I dont want to get confused and compared to an Altima.

Originally Posted by peterbanks
I understand now why Skaterbasist was pissed, the funny thing is he and I are thinking alike.
No, that was before I even saw the Altima Coupe in detailed pictures.

The Spyshots showed the Altima Coupe only in its rear profile, which is the only angle it looks similiar to a G.

After seeing all the official pictures, the Altima Coupe wont even affect G Coupe sells AT ALL.

So no, We dont think alike at all.

These are my views:

Altima Coupe = FWD, An entry level Coupe vehicle, Mostly attracting young female and male teenagers, IMO Very Ugly without a sense of Style

G35 Coupe = RWD, An entry level Luxury Sport Coupe, Mostly attracting Males 20-40 years of age without a tight budget, Very good looking with a great Sense of Style.

Trust me, there is no way in hell that a person looking to buy an Altima is gonna consider buying a G35, realistically, unless he's a bit out of his mind and has the money to buy either, yet considers the Altima. The G35 just isnt anywhere near that market. That would be like a person looking for a G35, who's seriously considering a Porsche Cayman S.

Overall, I really love the direction our G35 is taking. Competition from the IS350 and 335i are a great factor, which pushes our G's to a next level.

Last edited by skaterbasist; 01-22-2007 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:02 PM
Sukairain

When the G Coupe first came out, I kept thinking there would be a market for a G25. (or G30) Basicly a lower powered G, tuned for cruising and comfort, smaller displacement, better gas milage and the same good looks. I still think an Infiniti G30 or G25 would have been a better candidate to fill this void, but I guess Altima Coupe would work as well. I agree the cars do look very similar (and for good reasons, too) and it will hurt the sales number of Infiniti while boosting Nissan. From business perspectives though that makes sense - While they might lose up to 1000 G Coupes per month, they can easily sell 3000 Altima Coupes in the same month. So overall Nissan would still make more money.

Besides, the beauty of the G is not only skin deep, the FWD vs RWD platform and chasis make it instantaneously clear which one is the real deal. (and if someone doesn't appreciate the balanced chasis and RWD of the G, they should save some money and buy the Altima anyhow)
Old 01-22-2007, 03:36 PM
peterbanks

Originally Posted by Sukairain
When the G Coupe first came out, I kept thinking there would be a market for a G25. (or G30) Basicly a lower powered G, tuned for cruising and comfort, smaller displacement, better gas milage and the same good looks. I still think an Infiniti G30 or G25 would have been a better candidate to fill this void, but I guess Altima Coupe would work as well. I agree the cars do look very similar (and for good reasons, too) and it will hurt the sales number of Infiniti while boosting Nissan. From business perspectives though that makes sense - While they might lose up to 1000 G Coupes per month, they can easily sell 3000 Altima Coupes in the same month. So overall Nissan would still make more money.

Besides, the beauty of the G is not only skin deep, the FWD vs RWD platform and chasis make it instantaneously clear which one is the real deal. (and if someone doesn't appreciate the balanced chasis and RWD of the G, they should save some money and buy the Altima anyhow)
Completely agree with everything you said! Well put.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:48 PM
DirtySouth

They do look dangerously similar. Check out the monster wheel gap on that Altima though!!
Old 01-22-2007, 03:51 PM
skaterbasist

Originally Posted by Blackjack
Way to similar to the fckin Altima. I was going to buy the 08 G, but have changed my mind for sure.

Wow, Im guessing your the only one that knows the specs and how the 2008 G35 Coupe looks like .

Funny, I thought the 08 G35 Coupe was set to debut this April, a couple of months from now.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:37 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sukairain

+1, I agree. Although I will reserve judgement regarding the Altima Coupe and G looking alike until I actually see what an 08 Coupe looks like. I think once the 08 Coupe is released and is parked next to an 08 Altima Coupe, they will look quite different from each other. I've always said that the new G Coupe will look as different from the Altima Coupe as the G Sedan does from the Altima Sedan.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:27 PM
OCGsedan

Wow, Im guessing your the only one that knows the specs and how the 2008 G35 Coupe looks like .

Funny, I thought the 08 G35 Coupe was set to debut this April, a couple of months from now.

Either that or you're assuming that his main reason for buying an '08 is based on the specs.. and not the simple assumption that there will be no major adjustment to the body style - and hence look similar to the Altima.

Are you hitting the caffine a little hard lately? You seem a little bit quick to jump on comments in this thread. Just an observation.
deeeeeeeeep breeeeaaaaatthh ... (j/k)

That said- I think you're right about your views on the stratification of markets between the G and the Altima.. it's not (shouldn't be) the same buyer.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:14 PM
skaterbasist

Originally Posted by OCGsedan
Either that or you're assuming that his main reason for buying an '08 is based on the specs.. and not the simple assumption that there will be no major adjustment to the body style - and hence look similar to the Altima.

Are you hitting the caffine a little hard lately? You seem a little bit quick to jump on comments in this thread. Just an observation.
deeeeeeeeep breeeeaaaaatthh ... (j/k)

That said- I think you're right about your views on the stratification of markets between the G and the Altima.. it's not (shouldn't be) the same buyer.
I dont drink Coffee that often

You have to admit though, I have a point.

Assuming how the 08 Coupe will look like and perform is being a little impatient.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:47 PM
GeeWillikers

Originally Posted by X-Vert
This topic is more worn out than a hookers ****.
That depends on the hooker, and your place in line now doesn't it?
Old 01-22-2007, 07:45 PM
peterbanks

Ok, Skaterbasist I really am not trying to get you worked up again... Story Begins>>> So I just picked up my new 08 Altima coupe, went to the AutoZone and got me some Philips Blue Vision lights, hooked it up with a set of Infiniti 19's (Damn those things where spensive) painted my calipers and got a sweet trunk lip spoiler. <<<End of Story.

In all honesty, after I finished the photoshop I really think the Altima looks less like the concept coupe than before. I think Garnet Canuck will be right in that the Altima coupe will look about as close to the new G coupe as the G sedan does to the Altima sedan, and they look nothing alike.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:02 PM
skaterbasist

Peterbanks,

I would agree with you, but your doing one big mistake.

Your comparing an Official Altima Coupe with a Concept G35.

Have you seen the 2008 Infiniti G35 Sketch? The one released a couple of weeks ago?

If you ask me, the sketch looks much different from the Concept, which furthermore distance itself from the Altima Coupe.

We will see how similiar they are when both are running on the streets; I personally don't like comparing photo for photo, as images can easily distort the way they really look in person.

Good to see we're keeping the argument clean, even though it's such old news which I really shouldnt be responding to, since there have been wayyy too many Altima Coupe threads.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:11 PM
zackt69

eh... who cares?
Old 01-22-2007, 08:48 PM
peterbanks

Skaterbasist, I'm totally just playing around. Yeah I saw the sketch, I like the new lower girll, especially if the change was to accommodate an intercooler, but I think it was more to keep in line with the new sedan.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:17 PM
Pearlcoupeg35

The new coupe WILL be sick....dont worry.

Although im sure it will share some bits from some (rolls eyes) NISSANs, it will be THE car to have under 40k when it hits the streets.

I just hope they offer White on Black like they did back in 03 and 04....none of this "dove" and "shale" shiit! LMAO!!!
Old 01-23-2007, 10:15 PM
OCGsedan

I dont drink Coffee that often

You have to admit though, I have a point.

Assuming how the 08 Coupe will look like and perform is being a little impatient.

Yes - you have a point. Well taken.

Quick Reply: Too Similar?