Rear Deck Alignment - Sound Deadening Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 02:07 AM
Tucsontripleb
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Rear Deck Alignment - Sound Deadening Project

So, my exhaust has some low (95htz) drone between 1500 and 2100 RPM on acceleration. Wife and I are about to take a 2500 mile road trip for vacation, so I thought I would install some sound deadening material to help keep Momma happy on the long trip.

I have installed the material under and behind the rear seats. BUT, while doing this I got a much closer look at the rear deck (parcel shelf I believe Infiniti calls it).

When the top is up, the rear deck does not seal against the back of the rear seats or up against the bottom of the top/rear window area....There are MAJOR gaps!! Honestly it's no wonder it's loud, the trunk would act like a resonance chamber (think sub box) and the gaps would act like the port of the sub box, channeling the noise into the cabin!

Does anyone know if this is normal for all Verts, or is this an alignment / adjustment issue that can be fixed?

Check out the photos below. Blew me away!

Old 03-27-2021, 08:30 AM
n559br
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
I have noticed this gap as well. According to some TSBs Ive read there is some adjustment available. I am currently working on this same issue and have made a couple of aluminum shims to place under the adjustment screw to pull this up some. The real problem is this force is placed near the fulcrum but there is no support on the lip. This creates a mechanical lever that will be hard to overcome, especially with aging material.
Old 03-27-2021, 01:02 PM
Tucsontripleb
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by n559br
I have noticed this gap as well. According to some TSBs Ive read there is some adjustment available. I am currently working on this same issue and have made a couple of aluminum shims to place under the adjustment screw to pull this up some. The real problem is this force is placed near the fulcrum but there is no support on the lip. This creates a mechanical lever that will be hard to overcome, especially with aging material.
SPOT ON!! What it needed in org design was a small electric actuated latch/catch built into the bottom lip of roof to catch and support the outer edge when roof is closed. This would take the mechanical lever out of the equation when in its static closed position. Oh well, Infiniti didn't ask me for a consult. LOL!

I will look at shimming and possibly adding some thicker insulation around the outer lip. Concerned about adding additional pressure at the far edge of the lever if the insulation is too thick, and significantly increasing the force at the fulcrum. Will see where I am today with my other top issues.