Buying G37 Vert - Need Advise

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 11:19 PM
newtofiniti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying G37 Vert - Need Advise

Hi All,
I am looking to buy G37 Convertible and it will most likely be 2009, maybe 2010. I have some questions
1. There are some G37S verts that I looked online and they don't seem to have sport seats (I believe those are the ones with thigh support) or paddle shifters and some don't seem to have 19" wheels - Why does a car has an "S" in the logo (has sports package?)? What comes with it?
2. It appears G37S has stiffer suspension than G37 - when driving, how noticeable is the difference? Also, how do I know if the car has stiffer suspension - by the "S" in the logo? or is it safe to assume that a car with paddle shifters will have a stiffer suspension.
3. Is there anything special with 2010 Anniversary models that I can't get in 2009? I may be able to get a 2011/2012 too if that gives any solid advantage over 2009.
4. The cars I am looking range from 50K to 110K miles so I will be getting extended warranty. Are there any good 3rd parties that give good warranties - I am specially concerned about the convertible top coverage. Wanted Auto Protect and Delta Auto seem to have great reviews in consumer affairs but they only cover the motor for the
convertible top and not the linkages etc (I read there exclusions).
5. Should I expect the convertable top to produce some creak/rattle noise - is that normal?
6. Finally, would you recommend G37 or G37S? I like the bigger wheels, the thigh support seat, and blue tooth connectivity - plus the "S" in the logo. I won't mind the stiffness if it doesn't make the ride much less confortable compared to a G37.
Thanks.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:52 PM
_tjp_

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can answer some of your questions.
I have a 2012 G37S. As far as the suspension, I drove a non-S version on a short test drive. It was a subtle difference, at least on the roads I was on. So, you don't have to worry that the S suspension is going to give you a bone jarring experience. It's softer than a friend of mines 2010 BMW 3 series sport suspension.

The S seats are excellent and I highly recommend them. Very supportive and comfortable. In fact they're the best seats I've ever had in a car. Better than the BMW sport seats.

Yes, you can expect some rattles/squeaks in this car. With my car they are not bad at all. Typically I only hear them when on rough roads or train tracks. They're a little worse on cold days when the rubber seals are a little stiffer. There was a technical service bulletin issued by Infiniti to address this issue. Try to find out if the car you're looking at has had this done. If not, it is definitely worth getting done. If you search this forum you can even find the bulletin number. The rattle issue was my biggest concern when I was shopping for this car. However, after 3 years of ownership this has not been an issue for me.

Also, I know you're looking at earlier models, but I think the 2012 was the 1st year that Infiniti included a spare tire (albeit a temporary tire). Speaking for myself, I thought that was important.

Last edited by _tjp_; 11-20-2015 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:38 PM
newtofiniti

Thanks _tjp_. That information was very helpful.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:52 PM
s24deberry

Originally Posted by newtofiniti
Hi All,
I am looking to buy G37 Convertible and it will most likely be 2009, maybe 2010. I have some questions
1. There are some G37S verts that I looked online and they don't seem to have sport seats (I believe those are the ones with thigh support) or paddle shifters and some don't seem to have 19" wheels - Why does a car has an "S" in the logo (has sports package?)? What comes with it?
2. It appears G37S has stiffer suspension than G37 - when driving, how noticeable is the difference? Also, how do I know if the car has stiffer suspension - by the "S" in the logo? or is it safe to assume that a car with paddle shifters will have a stiffer suspension.
3. Is there anything special with 2010 Anniversary models that I can't get in 2009? I may be able to get a 2011/2012 too if that gives any solid advantage over 2009.
4. The cars I am looking range from 50K to 110K miles so I will be getting extended warranty. Are there any good 3rd parties that give good warranties - I am specially concerned about the convertible top coverage. Wanted Auto Protect and Delta Auto seem to have great reviews in consumer affairs but they only cover the motor for the
convertible top and not the linkages etc (I read there exclusions).
5. Should I expect the convertable top to produce some creak/rattle noise - is that normal?
6. Finally, would you recommend G37 or G37S? I like the bigger wheels, the thigh support seat, and blue tooth connectivity - plus the "S" in the logo. I won't mind the stiffness if it doesn't make the ride much less confortable compared to a G37.
Thanks.
Did you buy one yet? I just joined this site 3 weeks ago. I found it by Googling to find answers to some questions I had. I had already purchased a 09 vert when I found this site. I bought mine November 20, 2015. So far, no major issues. I learned since I had it the top and all the mechanics of the top weigh 453 lbs. That kind of weight will make the car creek and squeak if you turn into or out of a driveway quickly. If you take your time its not noticeable. No issues while driving on the road. I did buy a 36,000 mile extended warranty from EasyCare. I bought the GOLD package because it covers the convertible top.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:05 PM
jimv

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please get a 2011 like I did, the instrument panel and dashboard electronics are new in this year... you can put in a USB stick and play MP3 tunes from the touchscreen. Last month I picked up a 2011 G37 with 24K miles for $25K, I know good deal but in the cold weather states the buys are better in the winter, but not spring. The phone syncs up flawleesly LG G4 too.