g37 vert: cigarette lighter for cell phone charging

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 10:06 PM
Roan de Rossi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
g37 vert: cigarette lighter for cell phone charging

Hello friends,
I have 2010 g37 vert. I am trying to find a way how I can charge my phone in the car and haven't had much luck.

Firstly, I've tried to use cigarette lighter for cell phone charging and none of the two (one in front and one in center console) seem to be working. Any suggestion?

Secondly, I tried to use the usb port to charge my phone. It does start charging but then it also tries to read the usb port and then that messes up with all the music, be it the satellite radio, fm or even music playing through Bluetooth. So I ended up not using the usb port for charging as i'd rather have music playing.

Any one has any ideas as to how I can charge my phone using the cigarette lighter or any other way?
As always, thanks everyone in this forum has been very helpful in the past.
Rohan
Old 04-28-2013, 10:26 PM
ilovemyg37

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
are you trying to charge them when the car is on? once you turn off the car the power cuts off for the cigarette lighter outlets.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:47 PM
Roan de Rossi

To ilovemyg37:
Yes, I am trying to charger while the car is running. The car charger works from the cigarette lighter in my Camry but it does not work when I try to plug it in vert.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:18 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
First place I'd look is the fuse box.
The following users liked this post:
Basikk_ (04-28-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 02:38 AM
Roan de Rossi

Rad_Slinger, I try not to do anything to the car myself, I would take it in to a dealer to figure out the issue but the nearest dealer for me is about 100 miles. I have no clue/expertise of dealing with the fuse box. If you think I can locate that, where is it and what exactly I should be looking at to check for why the cigarette lighter is not working for the cell phone charger?
Thanks.
R
Old 04-29-2013, 05:51 PM
NewGMan

Might be you do not have the charger pushed in properly. I know in my car I need to turn the charger a certain way so that it fits into the ash tray and is properly inserted to charge.

You should be able to just switch back sources after the radio switches to the USB input and play whatever you want no problem, I do this all the time.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:58 AM
Roan de Rossi

Originally Posted by NewGMan
Might be you do not have the charger pushed in properly. I know in my car I need to turn the charger a certain way so that it fits into the ash tray and is properly inserted to charge.

You should be able to just switch back sources after the radio switches to the USB input and play whatever you want no problem, I do this all the time.
@ NewGMan,
I even tried pushing the charger in properly but it still didnt work in either of the cigarette lighter places Is there any switch somewhere that I need to turn on to make them work?
R
Old 05-01-2013, 07:10 AM
NewGMan

Originally Posted by Roan de Rossi
@ NewGMan,
I even tried pushing the charger in properly but it still didnt work in either of the cigarette lighter places Is there any switch somewhere that I need to turn on to make them work?
R
Just the ignition as far as I am aware. Did you check your fuses as was suggested by Rad? Fuse box is right by your left knee when you are in the car. Right above the emergency brake pedal. It has a plastic cover on it you remove.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:37 PM
psdenno
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Push charger in and give it a half turn. Works for me.
Dennis
Old 05-06-2013, 03:40 PM
Roan de Rossi

That didnt seem to work either. Any other suggestions? I have no idea about the fuse box.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:13 PM
Mike888

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello friends,
I have 2010 g37 vert. I am trying to find a way how I can charge my phone in the car and haven't had much luck.

Firstly, I've tried to use cigarette lighter for cell phone charging and none of the two (one in front and one in center console) seem to be working. Any suggestion?

Secondly, I tried to use the usb port to charge my phone. It does start charging but then it also tries to read the usb port and then that messes up with all the music, be it the satellite radio, fm or even music playing through Bluetooth. So I ended up not using the usb port for charging as i'd rather have music playing.

Any one has any ideas as to how I can charge my phone using the cigarette lighter or any other way?
As always, thanks everyone in this forum has been very helpful in the past.
Rohan
Wait, why not use the USB port? I know once you plug it into your phone it starts reading your phone, but once you change the mode back to AM/FM or XM, it should remain on those stations. As for the cigarette lighter, I've personally never used it so I can't comment on it.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:09 PM
NewGMan

So, not to be a d**k, but you are on a car forum asking how to plug in a charger for your phone, and when people suggest you check the fuses, you just throw your hands up a say I don't know about fuses, what else can I do?

My suggestion; take the G back and get an 87 Honda. Just saying.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:58 PM
colnajoe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd say you might have a bad charger! I findni have to replace mine every year or so. Maybe I missed it, but did you tey it in a different car?
Old 05-07-2013, 11:52 PM
Roan de Rossi

Originally Posted by NewGMan
So, not to be a d**k, but you are on a car forum asking how to plug in a charger for your phone, and when people suggest you check the fuses, you just throw your hands up a say I don't know about fuses, what else can I do?

My suggestion; take the G back and get an 87 Honda. Just saying.
Lol, well you are being one
I'm just a pretty boy driving a pretty car. I would just take my car in and have the dealer figure it out but the closest dealer for me is approx. 90 miles which I do not wish to travel unless absolutely necessary.

Id prefer my G over 87 Honda. Just saying.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:26 AM
NewGMan

Lol, well you are being one
Yeah probably

Still stick with my suggestion, if you cannot work out how to plug a phone charger in your car I would grab a mirror to look for the problem. Just saying.

Probably being a d**k again

Quick Reply: g37 vert: cigarette lighter for cell phone charging