Horrible experience at dealer about rattling due to lowered suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 05:24 PM
JohnsVert

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Horrible experience at dealer about rattling due to lowered suspension

So guys are you ready for this b.s?

My vert has been making a horrible rattling noise in the front now , the car has been to the dealer numerous times due to rattling and squeaking from the convertible. So the tech at the dealer heard the new rattling noise after we both went for a test drive and told me to leave my car, they were going to fix the noise.

A few hours later I got a call from the service advisor who in the past made wise comments about me coming so many times to the dealer about the rattling problems. I had no choice to go to him again when i got there because he was the only advisor available at that time. When I walked in his office he goes to me you know the car has been modified ( the car is lowered on h&r springs ),he proceeded to say if Infiniti wanted to they don't have to fix the noise issues. My response was excuse me ? The suspension has nothing to do with my roof rattling issues, I have been coming to you with complaints about my roof since the car was brand new. Basically what they tried doing was blame my lowering springs on the roof rattling. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

He also told me they made a note in their computer about the suspension and my rear tail lights being tinted, also it says it on my copy on the invoice about the modifications .I believe this is completely unfair to even blame the suspension on the rattling issues , I have bought several cars at KINGS INFINITI , but their service advisor at the service dept who I will not name completely ruined my experience with them. They have lost a customer for good. I will never purchase a vehicle from them or recommend there service dept again.

BTW 5 mins after picking up the car , the noise came back. As soon as I got home I immediately contacted the manager , but of course no answer so I left him a message and still waiting for his call back.

Last edited by JohnsVert; 02-22-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:52 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Put the stock springs back on and take it in to them. Ask them if the OEM suspension components are the source of the noise.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:12 PM
JohnsVert

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Put the stock springs back on and take it in to them. Ask them if the OEM suspension components are the source of the noise.
I was thinking this but why should I have to go threw the trouble putting the stock suspension back ? This is completely ridiculous. Suspension and my roof rattling are two different things . Nothing in common. Like I said in my first post I had brung the car to them when it was a week old about the rattling. The service advisor had some nerve to even try to say it was the lowering springs .

Also , I'm not the only one with a convertible with rattling problems. It's a known problem with these verts. But just to try and blame the suspension blows my mind , He must have thought I was stupid or something, Good try tho, I will have a discussion with their manager about this when he returns my call. I am not letting this go easy

Ill never return to Kings Infiniti service in Brooklyn, New York again for that
Old 02-22-2013, 06:42 PM
Dgglr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
totally unfair but it's reality and for that reason I'm not modifying my car at all until the 70k mark,,,, but then I'm gonna drop that b**ch i can't hardly wait
Old 02-22-2013, 07:40 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
I understand the OPs frustration, however you have to see it firm their point of view as well. A modified suspension is not directly linked to the roof, but it does usually net a firmer ride. This firmer ride could cause more impact harshness to be transmitted to the roof assembly. The additional impact vibration could be seen to cause undue stress on the system.

While the tech is probably a smarmy little pr!ck, having mods on the car does open one up to increased scrutiny. If you have mods, you need to arm yourself with knowledge of warranty law, including the Mag Moss act. Ask them to show how the mod has caused the defect. Or, do as BB says and simple go back to stock to have the repairs done. This will avoid the questioning.

Most guys on here have mods to some extent, but in general dealers are OK to deal with and view mods reasonably. Dealers get paid for all warranty work by Infiniti, but they do have to justify the repairs for auditing purposes.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:33 PM
JohnsVert

Originally Posted by canucklehead
I understand the OPs frustration, however you have to see it firm their point of view as well. A modified suspension is not directly linked to the roof, but it does usually net a firmer ride. This firmer ride could cause more impact harshness to be transmitted to the roof assembly. The additional impact vibration could be seen to cause undue stress on the system.

While the tech is probably a smarmy little pr!ck, having mods on the car does open one up to increased scrutiny. If you have mods, you need to arm yourself with knowledge of warranty law, including the Mag Moss act. Ask them to show how the mod has caused the defect. Or, do as BB says and simple go back to stock to have the repairs done. This will avoid the questioning.

Most guys on here have mods to some extent, but in general dealers are OK to deal with and view mods reasonably. Dealers get paid for all warranty work by Infiniti, but they do have to justify the repairs for auditing purposes.
I understand what your saying but my point is I had rattling problems way before I lowered the car , first week I bought the car the car was in the dealer because of the roof/squeaking rattling. I've had a Infiniti engineer come down to the dealer to look at the car , never a problem. It feels like they fixed one rattling problem and another arised .

I think they just don't want to deal with the problem anymore and tried to pick on something . And they found the modified suspension to pick on

It was more the service advisor who was a ***** about the situation, plus your absolutely right once they saw the mods it opened up increased scrutiny .
Old 02-25-2013, 08:52 AM
JohnnyCham
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
a lowered car is just gonna give them a reason to not take a look at the car, trust me. i have rattles in the roof area and i don't really care. i rather them not open it up, and since it is a hardtop convertable, there WILL be rattles.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:52 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Whether they are scapegoating your suspension because they can't find/fix the problem or not, they are within their rights because the noise issues COULD be related to the lower, stiffer, non standard suspension. In your mind (and mine) you're probably pretty sure or even certain that it's completely unrelated, but it could be. That's why I suggested taking that bullet right out of their gun - put the suspension back to stock configuration and then they can't use that at all.

Just like with a set of grounding wires that some dealerships tried to point to as the cause of battery drain issues on our 08s. I had the problem form day 1, months before I ever made my first grounding wires and put them on my car, so I knew that wasn't and could not be the cause of the issue. However before taking it in for the TSB I had the good sense to take that off the table as a reason for the problem by simply removing it. got the TSB performed which fixed the real issue, put my grounding wires back on and all is well.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:02 PM
DONTTASEMEBRO

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
After coming over from Lexus to Infiniti. The service attitude between them is Day and Night. Lexus service reps are freaking amazing. Brought my IS in for a steering wheel rattle but was unable to reproduce the same noise so they kept the car until they were able to reproduce the noise. Anyway most recently I brought my 12 G in for experiencing a violent shake when coasting through a turn they pretty much said the car is new and that's how 7AT drives... they didn't even bother having a tech go out for a drive with me...
Old 02-25-2013, 01:17 PM
daonlyillwiz

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
I think it depends on the dealer you go to. I go to legacy infiniti in lynbrook NY, i have absolutely no issues with these guys, they are cool and very patient with me as im a very meticulous and **** person when it comes to small problems. I took my G there a couple times since i purchased it ONLY to have parts replaced under warranty but their attitude is definitely exceptional, very friendly and professional. If i would recommend a dealer it would be legacy.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:33 PM
akochman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I had bad rattles coming from the back of the convertible, after all of the TSBs being done/a couple trips to different dealerships, they realized that the back window was rattling more violently than "normal" because i somehow had bent 2 of the wheels throwing everything out of whack. Got the wheels fixed and the rattling of course didn't stop but the window got slightly better... just thought that if the rattling is that bad, you might want to have the wheels thrown on a balancing machine and see if they are completely thrown off
Old 02-25-2013, 02:38 PM
JohnsVert

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Whether they are scapegoating your suspension because they can't find/fix the problem or not, they are within their rights because the noise issues COULD be related to the lower, stiffer, non standard suspension. In your mind (and mine) you're probably pretty sure or even certain that it's completely unrelated, but it could be. That's why I suggested taking that bullet right out of their gun - put the suspension back to stock configuration and then they can't use that at all.

l.
To avoid any scrutiny that's what I'm going to have to do no matter what dealership I go to for the roof issues. If the roof issue gets worse then ill swap out the springs for the oem ones , so they won't be able to use that at all.

Originally Posted by daonlyillwiz
I think it depends on the dealer you go to. I go to legacy infiniti in lynbrook NY, i have absolutely no issues with these guys, they are cool and very patient with me as im a very meticulous and **** person when it comes to small problems. I took my G there a couple times since i purchased it ONLY to have parts replaced under warranty but their attitude is definitely exceptional, very friendly and professional. If i would recommend a dealer it would be legacy.
I won't even go back to my dealer for an oil change for what they tried to pull. I might look into going to legacy from now on. It's about a 45 min ride from me and since I have the oil change package on my vert I need to go a Infiniti dealer.

Btw I still have not received a phone back from the manager yet . Kinda of strange he won't return my phone calls. Even he knew about the issues I was having with my convertible way before the springs.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:49 PM
ZOSTER33
Premier Member

Received 228 Likes on 166 Posts
Arm yourself with this, this is our best friend.

Auto Warranties & Routine Maintenance | Consumer Information