convertible top rattles and squeaks

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2023, 09:23 PM
Jlee1
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Squeaking trunk lid

I did the realignment part of the TSB. I spun the flat spots around on the bushings. The aftermarket replacements mentioned in this thread should be here tomorrow along with the Honda silicone. My squeak is the result of the trunk weatherstrip directly below the rear window rubbing on the trunk lid on even the slightest bump or uneven road surface. I eliminated it temporarily by tucking two shop towels in the well under the rear window over the weather strip. I will apply the Honda silicone tomorrow. If or when that stops working I will buy a roll of residential adhesive backed, window and door weatherstrip and apply it to the trunk lid above the factory weather strip that surrounds the trunk. I'm driving a 2010 Vert with 57000 miles on it. Everything appears to be tight and reflects the mileage more that the age. I would be willing to bet that a one inch wide strip of Gorilla tape applied to the trunk lid above the weather strip would also cure my problem. None of this will be visible without opening the trunk and looking for it. I'll try and do a follow up with my final fix
Old 04-30-2023, 02:12 PM
kiseliok
G37 Community Team

Received 169 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Jlee1
I did the realignment part of the TSB. I spun the flat spots around on the bushings. The aftermarket replacements mentioned in this thread should be here tomorrow along with the Honda silicone. My squeak is the result of the trunk weatherstrip directly below the rear window rubbing on the trunk lid on even the slightest bump or uneven road surface. I eliminated it temporarily by tucking two shop towels in the well under the rear window over the weather strip. I will apply the Honda silicone tomorrow. If or when that stops working I will buy a roll of residential adhesive backed, window and door weatherstrip and apply it to the trunk lid above the factory weather strip that surrounds the trunk. I'm driving a 2010 Vert with 57000 miles on it. Everything appears to be tight and reflects the mileage more that the age. I would be willing to bet that a one inch wide strip of Gorilla tape applied to the trunk lid above the weather strip would also cure my problem. None of this will be visible without opening the trunk and looking for it. I'll try and do a follow up with my final fix
Let us know how it went!
I'm always extremely cautious about adding anything to the stock components as I'm worried the clearances for the top operation will be smaller than needed.
But if this works, it might be a good long term solution for those with the noise from the area.
Old 04-30-2023, 11:11 PM
Jlee1
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what worked for me. I applied it to the underside of my trunk lid where it meets, comes in contact with the factory weather strip below. No more squeak. At least for now. It looks factory. If they would of made the seals on our cars out of this material, we wouldn't have these issues. I've put a few miles on the car since applying this. All is well.
The following users liked this post:
kiseliok (05-06-2023)