Possibly thinking of switching to the dark side

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 01:02 PM
1BAD2012IPL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Possibly thinking of switching to the dark side

So I am on Infiniti # 2 and debating to switching to the dark side and possibly trading my 2012 IPL for the convertible model. My question is are there any quirky problems with wind noise - maybe top issues that I should be concerned with pertaining to the model in question before I make the switch? Thanks in advance!
Old 12-28-2012, 09:36 PM
Cyril Lim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is the convertible considered the "dark side"? It should be the bright side since you'll have the roof down all the time. In my short ownership of 1 month, i have no top issues and minimum rattling both top up and down. With the top up, you will hear the top creak especially when its cold but it should not rattle. With the top down, sometimes there will be a bit of rattling when driving over the pockmarked roads of Houston. Wind noise is minimum even at highway speeds of 80mph on the freeway. They have a wind deflector which you can purchase and supposedly it makes a lot of difference ( I haven't got it yet so no comments there).

I bought mine used and decided to get the extended warranty to cover the roof as that is really my only concern with the car (since it's Jap, everything else should work fine).
I dunno much about the IPL but I certainly love my vert.

Last edited by Cyril Lim; 12-28-2012 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 12-28-2012, 11:16 PM
JohnsVert

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The ipl is a great car why getting rid of it so fast ? First of lemme start , many of us experience the rattling noises with the g37 convertibles including myself, even after numerous visits to the dealer , the noises are still there and always going to be there . This is something you probably will experience with the convertible , so be prepared . If you do a quick search you will see many complaints about it

Second, wind noise isn't really a problem at all the car is very good at keeping the wind noise to a minimum .

Third, the convertible model is about 400 lbs heavier , so you will feel a decrease in power especially coming from your ipl.

Dont get me wrong the convertible is a beautiful vehicle don't want to scare you away from buying one but the rattling bothers me like crazy and you should be aware of it before purchasing a 50k plus vehicle . Anyway hope this helps , good luck with your decision
Old 12-29-2012, 11:50 AM
1BAD2012IPL

Originally Posted by JohnsVert
The ipl is a great car why getting rid of it so fast ? First of lemme start , many of us experience the rattling noises with the g37 convertibles including myself, even after numerous visits to the dealer , the noises are still there and always going to be there . This is something you probably will experience with the convertible , so be prepared . If you do a quick search you will see many complaints about it

Second, wind noise isn't really a problem at all the car is very good at keeping the wind noise to a minimum .

Third, the convertible model is about 400 lbs heavier , so you will feel a decrease in power especially coming from your ipl.

Dont get me wrong the convertible is a beautiful vehicle don't want to scare you away from buying one but the rattling bothers me like crazy and you should be aware of it before purchasing a 50k plus vehicle . Anyway hope this helps , good luck with your decision
Dont get me wrong I love my IPL but I fell in love with convertibles a long time ago and the additional 400lbs isnt anything a turbo setup cant cure. Just Had a vert IPL pull up next to mine with the top down and the proverbial hating ensued. So I'm ready for the switch, The wifey is gonna kill me but oh well. And it was just a joke about it being the dark side I'm just ready to drop the top and ride.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:41 PM
Doc750

I think I'm unique in that I haven't had any rattling issues (21k miles on clock). The car is beautiful, and nothing puts a smile on my face like dropping the top and just cruising.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:35 AM
_tjp_

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnsVert

I have a 2012 6MT vert with 7K miles. I have had no rattling issues. I, like you was very concerned about this before I purchased the car. It seems that starting with 2012 Infiniti has made some improvements, or at least have pre-installed the service bulletins for the rattling issues.

I also have to agree 100% with Cyril's earlier post. I also purchased the ext warranty - just in case of future issues and for piece of mind. Remember, the price of the ext warranty is negotiable with the dealer and you don't have to buy it when you purchase the car (but it's cheaper).

Having a retractable hard top is the best of both worlds and is like having 2 cars in one. Never get tired f listening to that beautiful exhaust note with the top down
Old 01-05-2013, 10:54 PM
BHB 91

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 2011 sport convertible than just turned 20,000 miles and I have had it 23 months. I have had no major issues or noises. In fact, the only issue I have had is part of the headliner in the very back left get stuck in the track. I had to take it back 2 times in 9 months to ultimately fix it but it was no big deal. I have some creaking over big bumps, mainly when it is cold but I feel it is acceptable and I am very picky about my cars.

If I had to do it all over again, I would not hesitate. Great car, tons of fun and very reliable. Get one now while you can before they eliminate the manual transmission and Mercedes starts supplying the engines. These may be the last of their kind, especially when the 40 MPG mandate hits real soon.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:57 PM
pvc_

Vert

Adding a turbo will give you more power, but it won't affect the handling. The extra weight and the lack of roof will affect performance. And I bet you care about performance and that's why you went with IPL. At the end of the day though, you know what you'd enjoy the most, lack of roof or better performance.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:42 PM
JRW370
Registered Member

IPL,

I started driving a new G37 vert last June and I like it even better now than when I first bought it. As far as wind noise goes, with the top up it is just as quite as the BMW 545i I owned before switching to the vert. It does have substantially more road noise on rough pavement, which I understand is due to the OEM sport tires and goes away when those are changed out. The exhaust note with the top down is a real treat, particularly when doing some spirited driving up a narrow mountain road and hearing the AT perform those rev-matched downshifts.

In colder weather, I have noticed a small popping sound in the top as the body flexes, when making a switchback turn (> 90 degrees) coupled with a quick drop off or climb up an incline, but its not enough to be a problem or even mention to the dealer at this point.

I enjoy driving high performance cars, but there is hardly ever an opportunity to stretch their legs or take full advantage of their handling characteristics on public roads. The vert has stiffer springs than the standard coupe to handle the extra weight, and mine has a nice flat ride with very little body roll. Although it wouldn't stay with your IPL, it has a nice sporty feel that is a good compromise for a daily driver - and nothing says "quitin' time" like putting the top down when I leave work for the day!

I don't think you would be disappointed - to me its like having both worlds - just take enough test drives to get comfortable with the performance aspects.