IPL G Convertible (what's going on?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 08:25 PM
DeltaOmega553

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by need2speed
The plan is to build 400 units for 2013. IPL is a limited production model. As for the convertible being available in AT only, the convertible is more of a touring car, which is better suited for AT. Also, 634 6MT G convertibles have been built since launching in 2009 (50% of this was in the first year); that's 4% of total G Convertible sales over 4 years. If you were going to build 400 cars, it makes sense to pick the popular selling configuration.

As for pictures, go to IPL Convertible - Photos - Infiniti Online Newsroom (this is the production car in Malbec Black with Monaco Red Interior). By the way, the car shown at the LA Auto Show last November and again in New York this year was the production model, so the photos online are correct.
So clearly the spoiler of the IPL G Convertible does not look like photos seen here. And since there are no options with the IPL G Convertible it's clear that it is how those photos at infinitinews show it. Same old tiny spoiler.

Well now I'm not so much disappointed at the lack of a manual trans on this car seeing how the spoiler is not of my preference either.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:50 PM
BHB 91

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't count out a 6MT, either. There are options for an upgraded exhaust, wheels, and even a spoiler out there. Plus many under-the-hood options, too. There is a guy here that can hook you up with a decent spoiler that looks good for a good price. There are also lots of other ways to make these cars stand out from stock cars. You can almost make your own IPL minus the red seats.

I personally did nothing to mine except inside LED's, a smart cord for the radar detector and the upgraded floor mats that I took from my old G coupe. After driving it home 200 miles with the top down the day I got it, I decided that I did not need anything else.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:22 AM
need2speed

Originally Posted by DeltaOmega553
So clearly the spoiler of the IPL G Convertible does not look like photos seen here. And since there are no options with the IPL G Convertible it's clear that it is how those photos at infinitinews show it. Same old tiny spoiler.

Well now I'm not so much disappointed at the lack of a manual trans on this car seeing how the spoiler is not of my preference either.
No, the Pebble Beach car was a concept mocked up in Europe. It was real close to the production model (excluding the shodo interior trim), but the IPL spoiler was dropped for quality concerns.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:15 PM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I personally think the 7AT gearing works better with the extra weight of the roof in the convertible.

It's still smooth and the tuned IPL exhaust sounds well with the top down.

everyone mocking it, dont' worry there will be more than enough clients that just want a sharp looking convertible and purchase it.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:07 PM
DeltaOmega553

And now with the pricing information out, it's settled: I am heavily leaning more towards a 2013 Audi S5 coupe. If there was a hardtop convertible option, I'd go for that.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:31 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Looking at the production model, I just don't get why Infiniti sits these cars up so high in the front. I guess they are concerned with keeping good ground clearance (?)
Old 06-11-2012, 09:22 PM
XCoop

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
If you're going to go for a coupe in the Audi, why not consider an Infiniti coupe? It will cost way less when you factor in original price, maintenance, and depreciation. I've heard the Audi's S series in particular is extremely expensive to repair and maintain. You can always change out the spoiler for several options, and if it's the red seats you want, you can find anniversary editions around.

Coupes will always be better performance cars than their convertible alternatives. They weigh less, lower center of gravity, and are stiffer. Infiniti tunes the coupes to 330 hp, while the convertible only gets 325. I'd be more shocked to see them make a 6MT convertible, than offer it as it does, solely as a 7AT. Remembering too that this is a luxury sports car, I wouldn't be surprised to see the entire segment drop the MT altogether, especially once double-clutched automatics are more commonplace. I love manuals too, but the end is near.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:28 AM
DeltaOmega553

Originally Posted by XCoop
If you're going to go for a coupe in the Audi, why not consider an Infiniti coupe? It will cost way less when you factor in original price, maintenance, and depreciation. I've heard the Audi's S series in particular is extremely expensive to repair and maintain. You can always change out the spoiler for several options, and if it's the red seats you want, you can find anniversary editions around.

Coupes will always be better performance cars than their convertible alternatives. They weigh less, lower center of gravity, and are stiffer. Infiniti tunes the coupes to 330 hp, while the convertible only gets 325. I'd be more shocked to see them make a 6MT convertible, than offer it as it does, solely as a 7AT. Remembering too that this is a luxury sports car, I wouldn't be surprised to see the entire segment drop the MT altogether, especially once double-clutched automatics are more commonplace. I love manuals too, but the end is near.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
I appreciate your sincere response. I'm not a big fan of how the Infiniti coupe looks (it's those subtle things). The convertible was really my only choice from the beginning. Initially the 6MT vert caught my eye (before they changed the spoiler) then the IPL vert got my attention after its announcement.

At this point, I've fully convinced myself a 2013 S5 is the kind of look I'm after. Grant it, it's more costly than the G, but at this point, I'm having a hard time convincing myself not to spend a bit more to get something I am starting to appreciate more and more.

I'm still not about to make a purchase anytime soon (within the next 6 months) so we'll see what happens. But again, thanks
Old 06-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Doc750

Do yourself a favor and rent a convertible before u buy the audi coupe. I just drove from chicago to DC this past weekend with the top down the whole way and had an awesome time. Almost as much fun as being on a bike.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:52 AM
DeltaOmega553

Originally Posted by Doc750
Do yourself a favor and rent a convertible before u buy the audi coupe. I just drove from chicago to DC this past weekend with the top down the whole way and had an awesome time. Almost as much fun as being on a bike.
I'll be sure to at least test drive the 6MT vert before I make any purchasing decision. Who knows, maybe I'll love it so much I'll stick w/ it.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:01 PM
DeltaOmega553

One thing I'm curious on is the performance of the vert in rain/snow/ice conditions. Living in the greater DC/VA/MD area we get a lot of crazy weather from time to time and the RWD of the vert will probably get me nowhere fast if all hell breaks loose from mother nature.

Another reason I have been learning towards an S5. AWD.