IPL G Convertible (what's going on?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 10:28 AM
need2speed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The IPL G Convertible will begin arriving at dealers within the next week. It will be available in a fully loaded, 7AT configuration only. Exterior colors are Malbec Black and Moonlight White. Interior colors are Monaco Red and Stone. IPL initial offerings were not intendend to be an M-Power or AMG equivalent.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:42 PM
BHB 91

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by need2speed
The IPL G Convertible will begin arriving at dealers within the next week. It will be available in a fully loaded, 7AT configuration only. Exterior colors are Malbec Black and Moonlight White. Interior colors are Monaco Red and Stone. IPL initial offerings were not intendend to be an M-Power or AMG equivalent.

That is what I heard, too. Unless something major has happened, it will not have a manual transmission. There has also been a buzz around here for several months that Infiniti is phasing out their MT's altogether in a couple of years. If you want one, go grab a 2012 Sport now. As much as I like the IPL vert, if it were me, I would get the Sport 6MT. No MT is a deal breaker for me. You can always go buy the IPL wheels and exhaust and still come out ahead financially.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:57 PM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
september
Old 06-02-2012, 10:51 PM
DeltaOmega553

I had another Infiniti sales rep email me today telling me (again) that the IPL G Convertible WILL be available as a manual transmission and will roll out in August (at least in Virginia).

I'd like to take the word of an Infiniti dealer over some news article from 2011 or wherever you got your source. All information about the vehicle dates back to around Nov 2011. It seems NOTHING has happened since then.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:40 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by da mayor
september
Releasing a convertible after the summer months have gone is just sacrilege.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:45 AM
_tjp_

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For what it's worth:
I bought a 2012 6MT in April. At that time I was considering waiting for the IPL version to come out. I was told by my salesman that it would be available with a manual transmission.

Personally, I didn't see much worth waiting for, so I got the 6MT.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:19 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
I am a sales manager and I can say there will NOT be a 6mt version of the IPL convertible
Old 06-03-2012, 04:50 PM
da mayor

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
Releasing a convertible after the summer months have gone is just sacrilege.
you cant justify we're having some odd weather this year.

IPL will be two interior colors and two exterior colors, one tranny choice and it's the 7AT only.

IPL isn't gonna be a huge volume seller just like the Bloomingdale's G37 vert edition, the Limited edition vert, and the regular IPL. Those who will buy it will do it because of the exclusivity and most of them aren't planning to mod it
Old 06-04-2012, 12:13 PM
need2speed

I have an internal source at Nissan. Infiniti has built 246 IPL convertibles to date. There are 190 Infiniti dealers nationwide, so each dealer should have 1 vehicle by early July if they ordered one when orders started in February. Dealer shipping starts this week.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:53 PM
DeltaOmega553

I have an internal source at Nissan. Infiniti has built 246 IPL convertibles to date. There are 190 Infiniti dealers nationwide, so each dealer should have 1 vehicle by early July if they ordered one when orders started in February. Dealer shipping starts this week.
Uh, that's not a lot of cars. Soooo, what... when they all sell out it's no more? When do they make more? I'm not going to put money down and reserve a car I haven't ever seen before. Especially not with those pictures online which are woefully inconsistent.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:19 PM
DeltaOmega553

A few other dealers I've been communicating with are saying it's only available in automatic transmission. Wtf. Why would you sell a SPORTS car.... much less... a "performance" sports car in an automatic transmission ONLY? Who does that?!?!!?
Old 06-04-2012, 08:45 PM
da mayor

have you read how many exotics are going automatic only?
Old 06-04-2012, 09:08 PM
DeltaOmega553

I am so bummed out. The G37 IPL was perfect for me. All it needed was a manual trans and that's where it failed.

I could get a 6MT vert but it doesn't have the red leather seats or that nice spoiler or any of the other features that distinguishes the IPL from the normal.

As for any other car, well, no car's exhaust note sounds as sexy as a G37s. I mean sure, a 3 series or an M3 vert looks nice but... ew... I don't see myself pushing a BMW. Nor does it sound sexy at all.

And don't get me started on the ****ty cloth-top Audi S5.

A sad day indeed.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:22 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
If the production model sits in the same stance as the concept, it will be a hit with the enthusiast community as well as the general public. If they go jacking it up like an SUV (like they have done with the others, they might lose some sales. Eliminating the wheel gap makes so much of a difference in the look of these cars but especially with the more pronounced IPL front bumper.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:01 AM
need2speed

Originally Posted by DeltaOmega553
Uh, that's not a lot of cars. Soooo, what... when they all sell out it's no more? When do they make more? I'm not going to put money down and reserve a car I haven't ever seen before. Especially not with those pictures online which are woefully inconsistent.
The plan is to build 400 units for 2013. IPL is a limited production model. As for the convertible being available in AT only, the convertible is more of a touring car, which is better suited for AT. Also, 634 6MT G convertibles have been built since launching in 2009 (50% of this was in the first year); that's 4% of total G Convertible sales over 4 years. If you were going to build 400 cars, it makes sense to pick the popular selling configuration.

As for pictures, go to IPL Convertible - Photos - Infiniti Online Newsroom (this is the production car in Malbec Black with Monaco Red Interior). By the way, the car shown at the LA Auto Show last November and again in New York this year was the production model, so the photos online are correct.

Quick Reply: IPL G Convertible (what's going on?)