G37 Vert - do we not have an interior alarm?!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 12:02 AM
davidsigep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37 Vert - do we not have an interior alarm?!!!

Last night, after having had my car washed, I left my top down in our locked garage to let the windows dry. I came to my car to find someone had stolen the iPod from my center console (fortunately it's super old, but that doesn't matter).

It's bad enough our car is like the only convertible I've ever heard of that doesn't lock the glovebox and center console, but do we honestly not even have an effing interior sensor alarm??

The first thing my friend with his Mustang said was, "Your alarm doesn't go off if someone sticks his arm inside with the top down. Even my FORD does that."

Did mine just fail to go off or did Infiniti actually screw the pooch here? Yes, I should have dropped the top overnight, but jfc... if you're not going to provide a 25 cent lock on the center console, you at least put an effing alarm in the inside.

I'm really hoping you guys are going to tell me there was an alarm that should have gone off....
Old 04-03-2012, 06:34 AM
Doc750

Where can I order the 25 cent lock?

Thanks

Old 04-03-2012, 07:15 AM
JohnsVert

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry to hear about your iPod being stolen

And No I'm pretty sure the car doesn't have a interior alarm
Old 04-03-2012, 10:30 AM
Shane D
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What I always do in that situation is just raise all the windows and lock the doors. Then the person would have to jump the windows or yank on the door. Of course if it was any more than a few minutes, I would just raise the top.

People will steal ANYTHING that's not nailed down.

Shane D
Old 04-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
My glove box locks.....................yours dosen't?
Old 04-03-2012, 02:12 PM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
You can get an impact alarm, but you do have to lock your car. WHen parked in my garage i dont lock the car.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:50 PM
jsweaz

It really sucks about your ipod... Not to play devils advocate here but you parked your $50,000 car in a 'locked' garage with the car windows and top down and complain that the car's alarm didn't go off when someone reached into your car to steal an ipod? Aren't you more concerned with how they got into the garage in the first place? Be at least thankful they weren't being malicious. A box cutter can do some horrifying damage to the interior of a car. :-(

When you say 'locked garage' are you talking about a non-single family garage shared with other tenants? In this case, even a car alarm wouldn't have prevented someone from reaching in to steal anything. People ignore car alarms all the time. In this case maybe your complex has security cameras?
Old 04-03-2012, 03:55 PM
lier200a

I had inquired about a DEI motion sensor alarm for our cars (aftermarket alarm). I'm gonna go and get it checked out and see if they'll work for our cars.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:04 PM
davidsigep

I'm not even all that worried about the ipod, tbh. it was like 7 years old. I used it intentionally in case some valet decided to run off with it.

I think what ruffles my feathers more than anything is that other cars leave their cars parked with the top open, but they're all BMWs, so their glove and center console lock with the alarm, and they have interior sensor alarms. My friend's Mustang even has the alarm (dunno about the auto-lock). He said if you so much as stick your arm inside the cabin, it goes off.

I mean, I love my G, but I'm really glad I leased it. It just feels unfinished. :-/
Old 04-04-2012, 11:53 PM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
Get the internal alarm. its not that much. It is an accessory that you can add to the car.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Calgarywinger

Originally Posted by davidsigep
It's bad enough our car is like the only convertible I've ever heard of that doesn't lock the glovebox and center console, but do we honestly not even have an effing interior sensor alarm??

I leave my car parked with roof down and the windows up and follow the manual's instruction for locking the glove box in my Vert (see owner's manual page 3-3).
The only thing I worry about is a***holes flicking cigarette butts into convertibles
Old 04-06-2012, 07:33 PM
davidsigep

i know i can lock it manually, but not really something any of us should have to do in a luxury convertible. They usually auto lock with the alarm. This wouldn't have done anything for me anyway because I keep nothing in the glove box except Bed Bath & Beyond coupons. The center console is where I keep (kept) my cheap iPod since that's where it plugged in.

It's just annoying. But, at least I can I've not had the problem of someone flicking a cigarette butt into the car! Of course, this is California, so fortunately smoking old school cigs is just about illegal everywhere anyway.