HELP !!!! Weird banging sound in the trunk

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 09:50 AM
JohnsVert

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
HELP !!!! Weird banging sound in the trunk

Hey guys, I am a new g37 convertible owner, and found this great website and happy to be apart of this forum. I had the car for about a month now very happy with it, but i am very upset about the rattles and banging sound from the hardtop. I brought the car back to the dealer , it seems they fixed the rattling sound with the service bulletin they had, but my concern here is that i still have a banging sound when the top is down coming from the trunk area. It only happens when going over bumps and its really annoying, it seems like its coming from underneath the rear deck, again its like a banging sound like something could be loose NOT a sqeaking sound. Do you guys have any idea what this could be , Any comments would help
Old 03-21-2012, 09:59 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Trunk monkey?
Old 03-21-2012, 03:10 PM
maxfinity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^^lol.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:10 PM
lier200a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmmm... No loud banging for me when the top is down. Do you have anything in the trunk that could be moving around such as the tire repair kit?
Old 03-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
This actually happened to me once but turns out it was because the hooker was not actually dead like I thought.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:08 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
you should probably put dead bodies elsewhere.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:24 PM
MyocyteX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Kidcane
This actually happened to me once but turns out it was because the hooker was not actually dead like I thought.
Damn, beat me to it, but I was gonna go with midget, not hooker. Shoot.

I would try and reproduce the issue while the car is not moving. i.e. Poke around in the trunk and see what you can find. Good luck
Old 03-21-2012, 04:59 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnsVert
Hey guys, I am a new g37 convertible owner, and found this great website and happy to be apart of this forum. I had the car for about a month now very happy with it, but i am very upset about the rattles and banging sound from the hardtop. I brought the car back to the dealer , it seems they fixed the rattling sound with the service bulletin they had, but my concern here is that i still have a banging sound when the top is down coming from the trunk area. It only happens when going over bumps and its really annoying, it seems like its coming from underneath the rear deck, again its like a banging sound like something could be loose NOT a sqeaking sound. Do you guys have any idea what this could be , Any comments would help
Trunk Monkey, semi-dead hookers and midgets are all great guesses but I suspect that the true culprit is the black tonneau cover that raises and lowers and ultimately rests between the rear headrests and the trunk lid when the top is down. Over slow speed bumps this cover can flex a bit and may be making the noise you are hearing. Try pressing down on the trailing edge (closest to the trunk) of the cover and confirm there is some play as the cover depresses about 2-3mm - hold it down in this position and then remove your hand quickly to reproduce the "thud" that you are experiencing.

If that isn't it - then either release the monkey, shoot the hooker again, or tie up the midget so they dont make so much noise back there...

Good luck.

PS - Welcome to the forum!
Old 03-21-2012, 05:02 PM
JohnsVert

Originally Posted by lier200a
Hmmmm... No loud banging for me when the top is down. Do you have anything in the trunk that could be moving around such as the tire repair kit?
Originally Posted by MyocyteX
Damn, beat me to it, but I was gonna go with midget, not hooker. Shoot.

I would try and reproduce the issue while the car is not moving. i.e. Poke around in the trunk and see what you can find. Good luck
Nothing in the trunk that's loose , I even checked to see if the spare tire was loose and nothing , I tried looking around to see if anything was loose I couldn't really find anything , I have an appointment with inifiniti this Friday hopefully they can fix the problem cause it's very annoying especially to the passengers that sit in the back
Old 03-21-2012, 05:06 PM
JohnsVert

Originally Posted by bschurr
Trunk Monkey, semi-dead hookers and midgets are all great guesses but I suspect that the true culprit is the black tonneau cover that raises and lowers and ultimately rests between the rear headrests and the trunk lid when the top is down. Over slow speed bumps this cover can flex a bit and may be making the noise you are hearing. Try pressing down on the trailing edge (closest to the trunk) of the cover and confirm there is some play as the cover depresses about 2-3mm - hold it down in this position and then remove your hand quickly to reproduce the "thud" that you are experiencing.

If that isn't it - then either release the monkey, shoot the hooker again, or tie up the midget so they dont make so much noise back there...

Good luck.

That's exactly what I thought it was , tonight when I get home from work I wanna maybe try and put like a towel in between the two rubber pieces and the top where I think it's hitting to see if it's still making that noise, do you experience the same sound as I am?
Old 03-21-2012, 06:20 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
^ I'd be wary of putting anything where it should not be. Have the dealer repro the sound on a test drive.

LOL at the other theories though.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:28 PM
MyocyteX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Good luck.

Points for a good answer! Again, good luck.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:14 PM
maxfinity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lol... Thats a good one
Old 03-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Panamajon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you solve the issue? Mine has the same sound coming from the trunk and my midget hooker is most definitely not back there.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:21 PM
JohnsVert

Originally Posted by Panamajon
Did you solve the issue? Mine has the same sound coming from the trunk and my midget hooker is most definitely not back there.
I took it to the dealer , had the master technician come with me for a test drive and he most definitely heard the sound. After 10 mins on the test drive even he said the noise was becoming very annoying and he had no idea what the problem could be , my cars been sitting at the dealer since Friday , I called them to see how the progress was going and they told me they have yet to find what could be wrong with it , hopefully by Monday I will get an answer, I will keep you guys posted

Quick Reply: HELP !!!! Weird banging sound in the trunk