Contemplating Buying g37 Vert

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 03:55 PM
Bradigal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Contemplating Buying g37 Vert

New to forum contemplating buying g37 vert

Questions -

Aside from the look of the wheels/rims - reviews say the vehicle drive is better w/out the sport package ? Thoughts on base vs sport drive ? Reviews say sport package ride too harsh ? (not talking 6MT just sport package)

Also - live in northeast - Other than driving in snow which I know is an issue with either tire - Can one drive in non-snow, wet conditions well with the sport tire ? What about cold weather - below freezing (without ice or snow) any issues there ?

Anybody compare this car to the BMW 3 series vert ? Why the G37 over that ?
Old 03-01-2012, 04:15 PM
lier200a

Hey! Welcome to the forum! I'll try to answer your questions.

1) Can't say much about the S and non-S. In Canada, they only offer the Sport package but as far as I know, the suspension is stiffer and the bigger rims makes for a lower profile tire losing some driving comfort. However, for a heavy vehicle, it does drive and corner quite nicely

2) I know that the Sport package comes with max performance tires so cold weather below freezing does affect the tires grip but so far, no complaints when it comes to handling and grip in non-snow and wet conditions. However, when there is snow or ice (or wet snow), the tires have absolutely no traction (I skated when there was snow and just at freezing levels). The other downside to the sport tires is they wear out pretty fast due to the super soft compound so you'll eventually have to get new tires.

3)I didn't look at the BMW cuz I prefer to keep a car longer than 3 years (reliability) but based on what others have said, people prefer the 3 series over the G37 but the BMW is much pricier (335is) and if you opt for the 328is then you lose the performance you could get with the G37 for the around the same price range.

I hope that helps!!
Old 03-01-2012, 06:41 PM
cruzenbye

I've only had my G for a week. I am in southeast - so snow is a non-issue, rain will be in a few months, so here's hoping it handles well. But the chance of me ever driving this car in below freezing temps is extremely rare. It might see one or two mornings a year that are in the mid to upper 30's.

I have the sport package and I found that it does have a little more of a sporty feel to the ride as opposed to the luxury feel. But this wasn't enough to deter me from not getting the sport package - it was the look that sold me - I much prefer the 20" rims and lower profile the sport offers.

As for the Bmw - that was a serious contender and hands down, it drove much nicer (more luxury feel and ride - cornered nicer, I find the G has more roll in the corners than the 3 series). Hands down the BMW is the winner on ride. But what swayed me to the G was the fact that I plan to keep my car more than 3 years. Bimmers are so notorious for problems, most of which can only be worked on at the dealer and the cost of parts/repair are exponentially more expensive than a standard repair, this is why you see so many CPO and off lease BMW's. It is definately a car to lease and dump after 3 years. If you can afford to lease a new one, and like to cycle thru cars every 3 years - go for the BMW. For long term ownership - go with the G.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:00 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
at least you get the non-sport seats in the sport package now for 2012 (unless you get a 6mt vert)..... summer compound tires wear after 20k miles.... but if you're the northeast you'll wind up getting a snow rim/tire combo anyways
Old 03-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
I looked at the BMW convertibles before getting the G. It was not stylish at all and rattled a lot. I was kinda of supprised. I've driven both the non S and the S and The S handles better slightly but not much. The non S is supposed to be s moother ride and you have more tire on the 18 inch wheels, but the S has the bigger brakes as well.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:09 PM
lier200a

I agree with Da Mayor. You'll probably have to get a set of winter tires set if you plan on driving during winter seasons. OR you can swap for a set of Z-rated all seasons and sell the bridgestones.

ps- the Sport package have staggered tires by the way. Not sure about the non-S