New vert owner, with some buyers remorse

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 11:43 AM
Doc750

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New vert owner, with some buyers remorse

Hello,
I've been lurking here for a few weeks now, and I finally registered. I picked up a 2009 vert with 15k miles on the clock last month for a sweet deal.

I took it in for the seat belt retractor tsb repair this morning and received the 4 door as a loaner, and I gotta say the ride is so much smoother, the seats are way more comfortable. This is how the vert should have been. Even the wife made a comment, that we should just trade it in, the difference was so drastic. Don't get me wrong, I love the look and the styling, but the ride quality leaves a lot to be desired.

I realize I'm a bit older then most of you (35) and I'm coming from a Toyota which was butter smooth, I knew I wouldn't get the same ride in a little roadster, but the difference is huge!! Any ideas on how to smooth out the ride a bit? This car will never be slammed, tracked, or cornered like a go cart on rails. I'm just looking for an open top cruiser, that has beutiful sporty styling and a smooth ride.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:38 PM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
Did you get the g37 S or the non S?
Old 02-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Doc750

Non-s, from my understanding the S had narrower seats, stiffer suspension and 19" wheels which would have made the ride harsher.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:00 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The Vert is a totally differnt ride than the sedan. Since you already have the non-sport, there is not much you can do to soften up the ride - you can replace the suspension with "softer" components but it will never be a Camry. Once the weather is nicer and you can drop the top your remorse will rapidly change to admiration and harmony will be restored.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:03 PM
Fezzik

Bschurr has nailed it. You could get softer suspension but its not going to do much.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:40 PM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

You came from toyota. even their trucks have soft suspension. This is a nissan. its a totally different beast/line of cars.

you shouldn't expect either car to perform similarly just because they both are "G37" 's
there is a 455lb difference between the convertible and the sedan.(vert is heavier)
you bought a 2-door, you should have expect a sportier, stiffer ride.

if you would like to improve your ride quality, check out tires, springs, decreasing the tire pressure, etc. or add some weight to the back with one of my OEM spoilers! jk/lol

just wait till the summer kicks in and you and wifey will cruise around with the top down, and everyone else will be inside their grammy-camry hating on you.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:26 PM
Doc750

That's what I needed to hear, that switching out suspension parts will make little to no difference.

Otherwise I guess I can live with it.

Thanks
Old 02-28-2012, 06:26 PM
psdenno
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doc750
That's what I needed to hear, that switching out suspension parts will make little to no difference.

Otherwise I guess I can live with it.

Thanks
Not the worst thing to have to live with......
I had a sedan loaner when my convertible was getting roof dings fixed and really liked it, too. Two totally different cars, however. Top down and exhaust blaring, the Vert is hard to beat.
Dennis
Old 02-28-2012, 09:15 PM
BHB 91

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I pretty much concur with what everyone else has said already. Probably the most noticeable thing you could do would be to get different tires. Your options are far greater since you have a non-sport so that could make a decent difference depending on what you are riding on now.

I once had a G35 non-sport sedan several years ago and I didn't think it was that much softer than the convertible and I have a sport. Plus, I am pushing 45 and don't like the real harsh rides, either! I wonder if the tires you already have are shot or have worn badly? Might be worth checking into.

In the meantime, enjoy the ride. It is a fine car.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:55 PM
G37Vert

Get some taller profile passenger car tires for a smoother ride.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:58 PM
jesse550

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have an 08G37s and I was in my friends g35x sedan today. Seats were way comfier and the ride was way smoother but like you decided on the vert, I decided on a sport so we should have known what we were getting into and there's no reason to be upset over what you got. Like someone said, in the summer is when you'll shine. I'm sure you'd get the same feeling if you had a sedan because you might say in the summer ... "damn I wish I had a vert."

Usually when you get into something else, it may just seem better even if it isn't.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:26 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
In the future, test drive the vehicle longer. See if you can get it for an all day test drive. Those will really let you know if you like the car or not. 15 minute test drive won't really reveal characteristics of the vehicle.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:01 PM
Doc750

Thanks for the replies, I will have the tires looked at for excess wear and tear, but this vehicle was babied and hardly used by the previous owner.

don't get me wrong, I was expecting some difference coming from the Toyota. I just wasn't expecting such a large difference within the G37 family itself.

And like It was said earlier, having this car isn't the worst thing that could happen. I guess I was just a little bummed.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:32 PM
DjFromVA

Keep the vert!!!
Old 03-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Fezzik

Doc. Is the G in Chicago or DC? I sent you a PM

Quick Reply: New vert owner, with some buyers remorse