Received 1 Like on 1 Post
which hardtop convertible to buy?

G?

Audi?

BMW?

Lexus?

VW?

Volvo?

from all you folks on this board, which would be the #1 pick and why?

I'm trying to sort out all of this...

thanks!
Old 02-19-2012, 04:11 PM
BHB 91

If it was me, I would probably look at them all but the VW and the Lexus. I don't feel the VW is in the same class though it is nice and the Lexus is over priced and does not look right. You can tell that it started life as a 4 door and was converted into a 2 door.

In my biased opinion for what you pay for, the G is the best overall in terms of performance, features and style.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:56 AM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
I've driven them all but the volvo and VW. I was not impressed with any others, and is why i got the G. The volvo just didnt feel good inside. I got to sit inside it but didnt bother to drive it. VW, well i'm just not a fan.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:16 AM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I am guessing that most if not all of the replies on this board are going to point to the G. Try posing this on one of the other car forums that you want to compare and you will get different opinions.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:54 PM
akochman

Lexus doesn't look right.

If you are willing to pay more to option a BMW 335i convertible the same way as you would the G, that is a great car. However, if you are going to strip down the 335 to get to the same price point as a fully loaded G, then it would be personal preference. You will also most likely be disappointed with the 328i convertible because of the difference in power between that and the G. --> The 135i is a soft top convertible and has a powerful engine but is really really tiny.

I happen to really like the Audi but the numbers on leases didn't make sense at all. Also, it doesn't meet your criteria of a Hardtop.

People say that the G is a slightly feminine car. I see more men driving it than women by far. However, I think 95% of the VW convertibles I have seen on the road were being driven by women (I am assuming by your username that you are a male).

I have had a Volvo in the past (it was an S80 though not the convertible). You could drive the hell out of those cars and they don't crap out. I think that the Volvo is significantly overpriced for what it is. You are paying for a name (as with most of the cars on this list) and their reputation for safety. I would think that at this point in the game, most of the cars you named in your list were in the same league for safety in the car.

Not sure of the numbers for it, but the new SLK isn't bad but again is a feminine car. (SL/E350 convertible aren't really worth mentioning because their base prices are significantly higher than anything you had mentioned).

I am sure you have done some research already on some of these cars already. Just to be completely candid, the G is an amazing car/value in this category. It is great with the top down. I am sure all of the G convertible owners on these boards would agree that the car is not as nice with the top up because of the noises/rattles no matter how many times you try to get the dealer to fix them. You will get some rattles and noises with all hardtops but I think that the G has more than normal for hardtops.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-20-2012, 02:59 PM
sdmac99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I have gone through this process in the last year, and here are my thoughts.

I immediately excluded the VW and Lexus - they are of no interest to me. Audi does not make a hard top vert, and that is what I wanted. That left the BMW, Volvo, and G.

The BMW was just too pricey for me. I had a hard time accepting the price point of the 335 which had similar performace to the G. The 328 for me was still a bit pricey, compared to the deals that were running on the G at the time. I like the BMW look and confident in the quality, but just couldn't get past the price.

Before leasing my G, I had just completed a 3 year lease on a Volvo C70, a beautiful black hard top convertible. I did like the car, but it is very different than the G. The C70 is front wheel drive, turbocharged 5, and is a nice car. But, it cannot come close to the performace of the G. They are in two completely different classes. The C70 can be had for less $$$. The quality of the C70 was fantastic. I literally had no roof rattles or sounds in the 36 months I drove it, even here on the harsh roads and cold of Michigan. It was quiet and very smooth. The quality of workmanship was incredible.

I love the look of my red G, love the performance and driving experience, but absolutely hate that after 8,000 miles I have more rattles and minor issues than I had in 3 years driving the Volvo. I had a horrible dealer experience (I am 70 miles away from any of 3 dealers) when I attempted to have these problems fixed. That was a complete joke. From deafening high pitched squeels in the brakes when I apply pressure when backing up, to the damn seat belt tensioners the dealer REFUSED to fix, to the non stop rattles in the headliner area and downright loud sounds inside the cabin when driving on surface streets, I am very frustrated but know those can all be fixed with a competent service department at a different dealer. With the top down, there is nothing like it. The best experience I have had in 10 years owning convertibles.

I may look again at the BMW when my lease is up. Now if I can just get the weather to warm a bit...
Old 02-20-2012, 11:36 PM
rrao88

I had the same question a month ago, but only between the A5 convertible, my current g37s and the 335i

I test drove the 335i convertible, the A5, and the g37s convertible..and I'd have to admit the drive on the 335i was the best...handling, pickup, etc.

The interior on my recently purchased 09 g37 S is much nicer than that of the 09 335i at that same price, considering I found mine with the Nav, Premium, and sports package. I also enjoy more headroom in my g37 over the 335i.

Regarding the Audi, it is the most BEAUTIFUL car in this class (minus the soft top which IMO is just an unfinished convertible) but is definitely overpriced considering the power that it offers (only 260 in the 3.2t and I believe around 220 in the 2.0t). Also, if you go with just the A5 coupe, know that the sunroof does not open. With all the features I have in my g37s, the A5 convertible would have ran me about 10k more and for significantly less power.

Cons of my g37s....heavy and relatively slower pickup off the line, and not a fluid gear change in 1st -3rd gears. aside from that it is BUTTER on the highway, explodes wen u floor it, and I love all of my many features...clearly the best bang for your buck out of the 3.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:01 PM
blitzebill

thanks for the input guys. it's been a difficult decision, and am still pondering.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:11 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
I guess take into account the minor inconveniences sdmac99 pointed out. Visit other manufacturer forums also (I responded on the Z forum). Price, looks, and that it's a hardtop are the main sells. Plus the backseat storage with the top down.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:03 PM
blitzebill

@sdmac99:

what year is your G vert? I assume most of the issues have been cleared up by the 2012 model. or not?

I'm working up a lease offer right now on a 2012 red 6 MT G vert...we'll see how it adds up.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:40 PM
peegu

I have had my G vert for 1 1/2 years. One thing I have learned that you can't avoid hardtop rattling, I had mine fixed/adjusted/lubricated 2 or 3 times already. I am sure it will come back again, and I cannot imagine the rattle it will make 5 or 10 years down the road.

Honestly speaking, go lease a bimmer hardtop for few years, and you have nothing to worry about.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:02 PM
blitzebill

BMW? with all the complaints?
Old 02-23-2012, 08:06 PM
peegu

Originally Posted by blitzebill
BMW? with all the complaints?
Lease a bimmer for couple of years. Don't buy a hardtop.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:19 PM
cruzenbye

Just went thru this process with the same list of cars myself. I went with the G37. Picked it up today!

ok, here's my breakdown in decision buying. (I'm a 40yr old female, for the record). I was looking for a luxury sports convertible - preferably hardtop. 300+ hp

BMW 335i. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the car. If I were going to lease a car - I'd buy it in a heart beat. But BMW is not cost effective for long term ownership and I keep cars for a long time - so I ruled this car out solely on that decision. Hands down - my favorite car. (truth be told, I'd prefer the 650i or the M6 for hard top)

Lexus - 350 - Nice ride, but styling was lacking. Looks like a Solara. It rolls a bit in the corners. But lexus is one of the best built cars. It ended up being a 2nd choice for me.

Audi - A5 - lost bid due to lack of HP. A4 and the CVT transmittion still has way to many problems to be a long term consideration too.

Benz - Eh.. I'm just not a benz girl. I didn't even take one for a drive. For what I could afford it didn't have the HP. For the HP - was out of my price range.

Infiniti G37 - loved the car the first time I saw it at the Auto Show last year. It quickly became 2nd choice and 1st choice after I ruled out the BMW. It has a little more roll in the corners than the BMW. But it drives like a cross between my Maxima and husband's old Mitsubshi 3000 GT. Very nice ride - lots of HP

Bottom line - my choice - if you can lease - get the BMW 335i and lease it for 2-3 yrs then dump it. If you buy and want to keep it longer - go with the G37. Styling, drive and power - those are my 2 favorite cars.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:13 PM
blitzebill

thanks cruzen...thinking of leasing the G for 39 mths then buying it.

not into BMW at all.

Quick Reply: which hardtop convertible to buy?