Help needed from vert owners about roof space

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 10:04 PM
bembowe
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help needed from vert owners about roof space

Hey fellas,
I got my ride back about a week ago, from my accident. Initially I noticed a cricket sounding noise coming from the drivers A-pillar. That has since subsided and can barely hear it now. But now, when I hit bumps, my roof makes so much noise, like its not securedly properly. I dont hear any whistling or wind noises while driving on a smooth road. I will be taking the car to the body shop tomorrow to have it looked at.

Now here is where I need you guys help. I looked up the connection between the roof and the A-pillar today to notice how wide of a margin is between the connection. I can put my fingers between it. But now I cannot remember when I got the car whether it was this wide. So am looking to you guys to see if this is normal, the gap between the roof and the pillar. I have pics here that perhaps you can compare to. I just wouldn't have time to go to the dealer to take a look at another vert before taking the ride to the body shop.

Is this normal?
Old 10-31-2011, 11:37 PM
Jubbliepuff

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
no way... that gap is huge! you shouldn't be able to stick any fingers anywhere
Old 10-31-2011, 11:55 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Not normal. Have the dealer reset this for you ASAP.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:14 AM
cvipgo
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jubbliepuff
no way... that gap is huge! you shouldn't be able to stick any fingers anywhere
Originally Posted by cereal2k
Not normal. Have the dealer reset this for you ASAP.
I agree with above statements
Old 11-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Poe408

definitely not normal. let us know how it goes!
Old 11-01-2011, 12:42 PM
bembowe
Registered Member

thanks for the info guys. that what it seemed like to me as well. I'll be taking care of it today for sure.

I will let you know how it goes.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:57 PM
cereal2k

I'd make sure the smart top is working properly too (After they reset the roof) and probably not mention that you have it when you drop it off.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:37 PM
akochman

I was hearing a loud squeak every time i went over a big bump (like train tracks). took it to the dealer and they replaced the whole latch assembly. Now no more squeaking/noise from there. (however, still many other annoying little issues).

That roof gap definitely does not seem normal.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Mike888

Originally Posted by bembowe
thanks for the info guys. that what it seemed like to me as well. I'll be taking care of it today for sure.

I will let you know how it goes.
Hey did you ever get that gap looked at? I saw this thread and got curious so I took a look at my car and I have the same gap lol. I looked at the outside of that panel and everything seems to sit perfectly even. So are you sure this isn't normal? Let me know. Thanks
Old 11-11-2011, 01:14 PM
bembowe
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mike888
Hey did you ever get that gap looked at? I saw this thread and got curious so I took a look at my car and I have the same gap lol. I looked at the outside of that panel and everything seems to sit perfectly even. So are you sure this isn't normal? Let me know. Thanks
The body shop I took it too incidicate that it was fitted fine. So I made an appointment with the dealer to have it looked at tomorrow. My roof is definitely not aligned properly and every bump on the road remains me of it.

Hopefully the dealer can also tell me if that gap is normal or not.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:23 PM
cereal2k

Ok, so the first pic shows the gap by the sun visors. I'll need to double check the same view on mine. Can't hurt to have the dealer verify anyway.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Mike888

The body shop I took it too incidicate that it was fitted fine. So I made an appointment with the dealer to have it looked at tomorrow. My roof is definitely not aligned properly and every bump on the road remains me of it.

Hopefully the dealer can also tell me if that gap is normal or not.
Hm yeah I guess going to the dealer would be a good idea, if they say it's normal, you can request to see another convertible and check it out. How wide is the gap? Mine is large enough to fit the tips of my fingers but not my entire finger.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:58 PM
bembowe
Registered Member

Originally Posted by cereal2k
I'd make sure the smart top is working properly too (After they reset the roof) and probably not mention that you have it when you drop it off.
Yeah, I actually removed the smart top before I sent it to the dealer but the gap is still the same. I just didnt want them saying that its because of this is the reason for the gap.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:00 PM
bembowe
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mike888
Hm yeah I guess going to the dealer would be a good idea, if they say it's normal, you can request to see another convertible and check it out. How wide is the gap? Mine is large enough to fit the tips of my fingers but not my entire finger.
Near the edges say close to the visor my fingers can go an inch in but then again its hard to use that as a proper guide since I got skinny fingers . so I'll definitely request to see another convertible when i go in tomorrow.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:05 PM
Mike888

Near the edges say close to the visor my fingers can go an inch in but then again its hard to use that as a proper guide since I got skinny fingers . so I'll definitely request to see another convertible when i go in tomorrow.
Sounds good, keep us posted--now I'm getting kind of worried lol

Quick Reply: Help needed from vert owners about roof space