How to smash your G37 Vert Rear Window

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 02:56 AM
cyberBeach

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to smash your G37 Vert Rear Window

My new G37S - delivered early September. You know eventually you're going to get a scratch or something but I've been driving it ultra-carefully when parking etc. I never dreamed my first accident would come this soon or in this bizarre way.

I put a very small package containing a new unboxed 2.5 oz (that's small) bottle of cologne in the safety storage area in the trunk, in front of the partition (or in back of it depending on how you think about it).

Took my car to the car wash (top up of course) - soap and water only, followed by hand wax.

Unknown to me, the guys vacuuming the trunk decided to pick up the little shopping bag holding the bottle, vacuum that area, and put the bottle back in the main section of the trunk. I was watching them but I missed that little move.

Tipped the guy and put the top down. Heard a very small noise but "remembered" there was nothing in the trunk.

Drove to the office and parked. Put the top up. Noticed in the rear-view mirror what looked like a lot of uneven coloration on the window.

Discovered that the entire rear window was broken out with only a jagged border remaining around the edge. Opened the trunk - there's the window, in pieces. Found the little packaged cologne bottle that caused the trouble.

Had to clean up some of the glass before I could convince the top to go back down so I could drive it without streaming glass. Called the dealer - admittedly it's now 5:15PM - who said they had no loaner but bring it in - so since Infiniti had no loaner and I just took it to a great body shop I know that's walking distance from home.

The factory glass costs 1381.08 before tax. There's 211.50 in labor, so it sub-totals 1592.58 and totals up to $1720.33.

I can't blame the car wash - the guys doing the vacuuming might not even realize it's a convertible. I just never considered the possibility of someone moving anything around the trunk.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:01 AM
xlack
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why didn't you claim comprehensive insurance for it? You know you paid for insurance Right?
Old 10-27-2011, 03:39 AM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
That sucks! I'm surprised something so small smashed it. Also surprised there is no sensor in the top that when it feels resistance it reverses back up.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:43 AM
MisterC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've considered this mod in the future but it sounds a bit pricey. Which brand of cologne did you use?

I'm pulling your leg. Sorry to hear that, I completely feel your situation as I've gone through similar. No matter how hard you try to protect the darned things, there's always something or someone unexpected that comes by and breaks some glass, takes out a sideview mirror, or totals your car.

I hope everything comes out just as new. My suggestion would be, as stated earlier, to go through your insurance and pay the deductible. I'm surprised you're taking it this well, not that you could do anything about it anyway, but you must feel crushed (pun intended).
Old 10-27-2011, 12:54 PM
demarcom

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Why Infiniti doesnt have some wiz bang sensors in that trunk area to protect such an expensive and complex piece of machinery!!!

I picked up my brand new G37S vert about 4 weeks ago. Top was down at the dealer and we only put it up to see how it works... put it back down, drove home put the top up and the next morning in daylight I saw 2 scratches/dents on the middle panel on both sides of the roof near the outer edges. I looked it up on the net and found that this is common when there is something in the trunk...

Well... I opened the trunk and found the optional first aid kit sitting smack in the middle of the trunk floor.. culpret found... Car is now at the dealer getting repaired. Luckily This happend all withing 24 hours of picking up the car, or I may be stuck with the repair bill..

I just dont know why there are not more safety sensors... and if there are any.. they dont work very well..
Old 10-27-2011, 01:16 PM
cyberBeach

Originally Posted by xlack
Why didn't you claim comprehensive insurance for it? You know you paid for insurance Right?
I'm going to call in the claim today. The body shop owner explained to me last night that since there was no collison, it was covered under the comprehensive part of the policy not the collison coverage, and that your rates don't get raised when you make a comp claim.

Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
That sucks! I'm surprised something so small smashed it. Also surprised there is no sensor in the top that when it feels resistance it reverses back up.
A small glass bottle is very stable (a wine bottle might have gotten pushed to the side rather than stay vertical, for example) and it contacted only the window.

There are no sensors except one that tells you if the partition is folded down. That means there is no contents sensor at all. Other brands have them even for their soft covers.

Originally Posted by MisterC
I've considered this mod in the future but it sounds a bit pricey. Which brand of cologne did you use?
Armani Code. I guess you could say it cost me 2 grand for 2.5 ounces.

I hope everything comes out just as new.
Me too! I'm hoping the mechanism is all okay.

I'm surprised you're taking it this well, not that you could do anything about it anyway, but you must feel crushed (pun intended).
I try to stay rational when posting online. <rant mode="ON"> Inside, emotionally of course I blame the car wash guys - who the hell asked them to move anything? They should know the Infiniti G37S Convertible intimately and never put anything in the trunk! Why the hell doesn't Infiniti have sensors, both for resistant force and for contents? Why didn't the dealer have a loaner? Why can't they make the rear windshield out of Gorilla Glass?

And most importantly <sob> why meeeeeeee? If only I had decided to go to the gym first and the carwash second, that stuff would be safely in my gym bag and none of this would have happened? <rant mode="OFF">

Seriously, last night the money was freaking me out - 1300 for a piece of glass? - but the thing I most bummed about today is just not being able to drive the car. I'm kind of addicted. </rant></sob></rant>
Old 10-27-2011, 01:25 PM
cyberBeach

Here's what how I would architect a sensor system:

Force-sensor feedback in the motors, with a "stop and check" message displayed when movement does not match power output for that position of the hard top component. Allow driver override so that if the mechanism is just sticky or cold, the driver can continue to raise or lower after checking the trunk, roof clearance, etc.

Stress sensor in the rear window, stop and check message if stress is detected. Not overrideable.

Transponder dots - like RFID tags - every inch on the floor of the trunk and a couple of receivers. If a signal is blocked from any of the dots, same deal with the stop and check message and driver override (so a damaged dot doesn't block use of the top).
Old 10-27-2011, 06:13 PM
MisterC

Keep the ideas coming, I think we can build this module and sell it to the mass market!
Old 10-27-2011, 06:53 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Armani code, love it use it all the time
Old 10-27-2011, 07:04 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Sensors are good but won't solve silly human errors.

Here's my input to all vert owners: Drop the trunk divider down if you ever give your vert keys to any one else who may not know about the retractable roof safety or function. By doing so you eliminate such stupid accidents. I have taken my car for service to dealer many times (since 2009) and I always drop the trunk divider down before handing the keys which helps avoid silly accidents. IMHO.

Last edited by cvipgo; 10-27-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:17 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
OP, sucks about the damage. Good luck in the repairs.

Good tip cvipgo.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:19 PM
G37Vert

Wow, every time I drop the top a little guy inside my head says "Is there something in the trunk?" I think from now on I may just drop the divider so that every time I want to lower the top I have to get out and put it up. Pain in the butt yes, but eliminates human error and that sick feeling of wondering if something's back there.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:26 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Originally Posted by G37Vert
Wow, every time I drop the top a little guy inside my head says "Is there something in the trunk?" I think from now on I may just drop the divider so that every time I want to lower the top I have to get out and put it up. Pain in the butt yes, but eliminates human error and that sick feeling of wondering if something's back there.
There's another way to resolve the issue: Install a remote camera in the trunk and visually verify that nothing is in the trunk, prior to hitting the roof switch to open and close
Old 10-28-2011, 07:00 AM
demarcom

Leaving the divider down is a great idea to make sure you double check before putting the roof down... Im going to take that advice!
Old 11-27-2011, 02:44 PM
bluecoupe
Registered Member

Glad I remembered reading this thread. Went to the dealer for an oil change with the top down, they put the top back up and washed it. I started to drop the top and took a quick look in the trunk, the detailers took my bottle of Mother's spray wax out of the divider and left it in the middle of the trunk.

Sorry it happened to you, but thanks for making me double check every time now.

Quick Reply: How to smash your G37 Vert Rear Window