Baby Got Rear Ended

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 12:13 PM
mrgsmith2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baby Got Rear Ended

I had my Midnight Garnet G37 in park when I got rear ended at a stop light by a 2001 Camry traveling at about 20 mph . I spent 3 hours getting checked out at the ER (received lots of drugs for the pain they expected to show up in 2 or 3 days), however, surprisingly little damage to the car. The bumper has some scrapes and the chrome exhaust tips are bent down. Apparently the Camry traveled under my car since the G did not move except up at the back. A body shop guy as able to sink his hand about 4 inches into the plastic bumper. He said that the brackets behind he bumper were broken. His insurance would never answer the numerous phone messages so I'm going through my insurance. They sent me to a Sterling Autobody for the repair. They said that the first thing they would do is try to repair the bumper by heating it and reshaping it before replacing. Also said the exhaust brackets appeared straight, although the appear shorter from the rear. Anybody have any suggestions on what I should watch out for. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Jubbliepuff

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
From the first day I got my car... I feared getting rear ended simply because of the trunk and retractable roof. There are so many moving parts involved with putting the top up and down, that I feel like if even the slightest damage occurs, it will mess up the mechanisms of the roof. I would get it checked out by a certified infiniti mechanic because normal shops will not know the ins and outs of the retractable roof. Just my thoughts..
Old 09-25-2011, 10:49 PM
BHB 91

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, take it to a reputable shop and make sure it is fixed right. You do not want that bumper fixed, it needs to be tossed and replaced.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:43 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Originally Posted by Jubbliepuff
get it checked out by a certified infiniti mechanic because normal shops will not know the ins and outs of the retractable roof.
good advise
Old 09-26-2011, 12:38 AM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the body shop wants to "repair" your bumper instead of replace it, you need to take it to a different shop.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:06 PM
ESSRTEE8

Who is your insurer???
Old 09-28-2011, 11:28 PM
Philip8969

I would make sure they do not try to "repair" any damaged parts. They will never be as good as new again. The other party is responsible for returning the car to the condition it was in before it was hit. In my mind "repaired" parts could never do that. I would insist that everything is brand new (not off a junk car) and an OEM part. The insurance company will bitch and moan, but if you insist they will pay to have it fixed right. In my experience they would rather just get the car fixed the way you want than get into a big legal battle with you over it. good luck!
Old 09-29-2011, 11:42 PM
cy7878

It seems like a common theme now days that "insurance preferred body shops" will try to repair and not replace, because afterall, it's thnsance company that pays the bills.

Having said that, you do under most cases have the right to go anywhere you want. I would definitely get other quotes and estimates before commiting to any one shop.

I was rear-ended in BMW once. What looks to be something minor ended up costing over $4k and 1 month to fix. Once you take the bumper off, there are a bunch of other stuff that need to be replaced. The fact that your exhaust is moved and the Camry dove under your car, you're looking at more than just the bumper that need fixed.

Good luck....
Old 10-01-2011, 05:25 PM
mrgsmith2000

I dropped the car off late Tuesday and got a loaner at the body shop recommended by Allstate, signed the forms that said the could repair or replace with non original parts. I felt like I was stuck even though I know I could have taken it elsewhere. Thursday got the estimate, the plastic bumper was all that was damaged, an aftermarket part was unavailable so they used OEM, painted it and pulled up the chrome exhaust pipes. Said I should be able to pick it up early the following week. Late Friday I got a call, it was ready for pickup. Got it this morning and it looks better than new. Very pleased with the whole experience, other than having to drive a Camry and paying my deductible. Total cost of the repair, $400 for the bumper and $440 for the labor and paint and clear coat. Considering the impact I am very impressed with the rugged construction. Thanks for the above input.