Suggestions to black out chrome door trim?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 11:05 PM
thedollardoctor
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions to black out chrome door trim?

Hey guys, anyone have any suggestions on how to best black out the chrome that runs along the top of the doors? It also runs the entire way around the back of the car when the top is down. I saw somewhere that one of you used plasti-dip for this, however, I'm not sure how well that would work on the back area where the material is more rough and may not peel off correctly.

I was thinking of using a gloss black vinyl tape strip. Any thoughts and/or suggestions on this? Thanks!!!
Old 05-04-2011, 08:07 AM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by thedollardoctor
Hey guys, anyone have any suggestions on how to best black out the chrome that runs along the top of the doors? It also runs the entire way around the back of the car when the top is down. I saw somewhere that one of you used plasti-dip for this, however, I'm not sure how well that would work on the back area where the material is more rough and may not peel off correctly.

I was thinking of using a gloss black vinyl tape strip. Any thoughts and/or suggestions on this? Thanks!!!
Tape is certainly an option but...

Most effective solution would be to pull all the trim and have it sent out to be painted, powder coated or black chromed.

Less expensive solutions would be to use spray paint or spray on black chrome but unless you are a talented rattle can grafiti artist with OCD, spraying parts while still on the car is a recipe for disaster...
Old 05-04-2011, 03:54 PM
thedollardoctor

Originally Posted by bschurr
Tape is certainly an option but...

Most effective solution would be to pull all the trim and have it sent out to be painted, powder coated or black chromed.

Less expensive solutions would be to use spray paint or spray on black chrome but unless you are a talented rattle can grafiti artist with OCD, spraying parts while still on the car is a recipe for disaster...
Appreciate the advice man. I actually talked to a paint shop in town and they basically said that all the trim would be a major pain to take off and due to that alone the labor costs would make it expensive to the point that some other option would be better.

I saw on here somewhere where a vert owner used plasti-dip and I looked pretty good. I was thinking of using vinyl tape that is too wide and sort of tucking it under the trim to make it look real clean.

Any other thoughts?
Old 05-04-2011, 09:22 PM
lier200a

plastidip might be your best and cheapest option since you can pretty much do it yourself.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:25 PM
thedollardoctor

Originally Posted by lier200a
plastidip might be your best and cheapest option since you can pretty much do it yourself.
Is plasti-dip available in glossy black finish or just flat black? Everything else on my car is glossy black, not sure flat black would look right.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:29 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thedollardoctor
Is plasti-dip available in glossy black finish or just flat black? Everything else on my car is glossy black, not sure flat black would look right.
Check Industrial Protective Coatings & Adhesives, Plastic Coatings, Protective Foam Coatings and buy it from Home Depot.