Vert Spoiler Disaasembled

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 01:32 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vert Spoiler Disaasembled

The OEM spoiler is made of double ABS shells. External shell and internal shell is bonded and held with 7 screws.

Internal shell holds rear view camera, rear light module and the integrated antenna module.

Here are photos to digest thru:

Rear view Camera in the spoiler:

Rear Light module in spoiler

Integrated Antenna Module & location

Disassembled Light & Antenna module

Camera Removed:

Additional photos:

I can see why these were obsoleted and may have issues:
Pros: Adds nicer look, integrates antenna and gets' rid of whip antenna pod replaced with sat antenna pod.
Cons: Repair rework expensive, as every time the spoiler has to removed from the car to replace rear light, camera or antenna module, the double sided tape is not reusable and has to be refurbished- not the case with chrome spoiler - which can be removed any time and reused without the issues of double sided tape. Too many holes in the trunk that can leak. IF the spoiler comes loose at internal shell or external shell - you just can't replace it with chrome spoiler, you have to get the spoiler - expensive and risk of stuck with holes in the trunk.

Hope above helps the vert owners to make their decision on to get the spoiler or not. Ask me if you have question, i'll be glad to answer.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

Sounds like they're pretty crappy. So have you torn yours' off your car?

Shane D
Old 04-01-2011, 08:06 PM
katfish711

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really appreciate your teardown and analysis.

I like the way the discontinued spoiler looks but the downsides regarding replacement of internal parts sure sounds like a bummer.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:38 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Originally Posted by Shane D
Sounds like they're pretty crappy. So have you torn yours' off your car?

Shane D
I bought/installed mine in August 2010 (I was the first vert owner to do self install ) so I'll wait till it craps out and then decide what to do till then I'll keep and enjoy So. Calif weather with top down.

good luck with yours.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:42 PM
RaulGCustom
SoCal Driven

Received 406 Likes on 400 Posts
nice write up
Old 04-01-2011, 10:37 PM
ESSRTEE8

I don't see how replacing double sided tape is a huge downside to doing a repair. And the grommets look to be substantial, more so than spoilers I've had on other cars I've owned.

I'm not sold on the down side of buying one of these and putting on my car.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:38 PM
ESSRTEE8

Originally Posted by katfish711
Really appreciate your teardown and analysis.

I like the way the discontinued spoiler looks but the downsides regarding replacement of internal parts sure sounds like a bummer.
Buy 2 and you will have all the replacement parts you need.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:44 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Buy 2 and you will have all the replacement parts you need.
great idea.... why not
Old 04-02-2011, 08:54 AM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes - nice write up.

These spoilers are OEM from Nissan. The probability of an internal part failing is very, very small (about as likely as your OEM clock failing). All the connections are in harnesses and the spoiler itself, when properly installed should last for the life of the car.

I suspect that the issue with these spoilers is that a few dealership mechanic hacks installed these on some early verts and did so without reading the instructions because they installed several on coupes and sedans previously. Subsequently, there were issues and the dealers blamed it on the spoiler and not the tech.

No proof, Just my $0.02 and my personal conspiracy theory!
Old 04-02-2011, 09:36 AM
cvipgo
Banned

Originally Posted by bschurr
Yes - nice write up.

These spoilers are OEM from Nissan. The probability of an internal part failing is very, very small (about as likely as your OEM clock failing). All the connections are in harnesses and the spoiler itself, when properly installed should last for the life of the car.

I suspect that the issue with these spoilers is that a few dealership mechanic hacks installed these on some early verts and did so without reading the instructions because they installed several on coupes and sedans previously. Subsequently, there were issues and the dealers blamed it on the spoiler and not the tech.

No proof, Just my $0.02 and my personal conspiracy theory!
Thanks B, good input!

I thought let me photo document the construction details of the obsoleted spoiler and let the vert owners/lease holder make their own decision....

The only difference between coupe and convertible spoiler is the integrated antenna module in the vert spoiler.... so why would Nissan make convertible spoilers obsolete and not coupe's? A reasonable question!

No OEM will not discontinue/obsolete a product based on installer's incompetency. there has to be more than just screw-up by installers.

Time will tell.