To drop the top or not

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 09:32 PM
BHB 91

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To drop the top or not

I currently have a 2009 Journey coupe with sport and nav and I am considering trading for a new 2011 convertible with a 6 speed. If I could just get past the wheels. Ha!

I know most everyone loves their convertibles but I wanted to ask you guys if there are any negative things I might not be thinking about while I am caught up in new car fever.

I know trunk space is limited and almost non-existent with the top down but that is not a problem as we have a small SUV, too. I have heard about leaks but I figured those problems were easily fixed. Most everything else I have heard is great so now I suppose I need to stop and think about it.

Thanks for your input!
Old 02-11-2011, 09:35 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Convertible is as good or better as coupe in terms of driving/handling with top up or down... just more $$$$ than the coupe. It's a best convertible for the money.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:56 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Pros: Nicer looking (especially with the top up), due to wider hips. More headroom if you find the coupe kind of short, AWESOME in the summer and not as common.

Cons: It is heavier, which translates to less power and worse gas mileage. Also, more expensive to buy. Water leak was an easy fix in my car and seat belt does not recoil.

Shane D
Old 02-11-2011, 11:23 PM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
I think shane D hit the spot. If I heard correctly the 2011 verts in sport dont have the sports brakes or suspension. You may want to look into that. I COULD be wrong. I do know the sports package in the 2011 does come with heated and cooled seats. Just check the options out carefully.

But the water leak was my only issue.
I have heard of some people getting the roofs stuck halfway open or stuck open completely and cant close. That's only been one or two people. It will happend to any convertible. For example. WE test drove the bmw vert and it got stuck when the salesman was trying to show me. I know this stuff happens though.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:08 AM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
6mt verts still have heated seats only, no heated/cooled... the automatic convertibles w/ sport package do not have the sport style seats like the 6mt verts..hence still keep the cooled/heated seat functions

all sport packaged's verts get the big brakes still
Old 02-12-2011, 01:31 AM
cvipgo
Banned

Originally Posted by da mayor
6mt verts still have heated seats only, no heated/cooled... the automatic convertibles w/ sport package do not have the sport style seats like the 6mt verts..hence still keep the cooled/heated seat functions

all sport packaged's verts get the big brakes still
automatic convertibles w/ sport package do have the sport style seats like the 6mt verts no cooled seats but heated seats , yes.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:49 AM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
SOrry I looked at the options. Looks like they got rid of the sports suspension in the 2011 sports edition of the vert. Its the same as teh base. That's what was different
Old 02-12-2011, 09:34 AM
BHB 91

Thanks for your comments everyone. I am still debating this but I think I am going to do it if I can get a good deal. Infiniti is offering 2.9% financing which is making the decision a little easier as well.

If I do this, I have decided on white or graphite shadow with graphite interior. We'll see what happens now.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:27 AM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
verts are VERY heavy. This, and the corrections of seals would be the only things to concern about.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:06 PM
akochman

The only con I have seen to this car vs. the G coupes I have had is that they do not handle as well as the coupes did. Granted, there is an extra 500 lbs being thrown around going into a turn but i think that stiffer suspension for the sport package would have been appropriate. On the other hand, cruising on the highway with the top down is a MUCH smoother ride in the convertible than it was in the coupe.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:19 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Will you want to mod the vert? Suspension wise there are no coil overs available as yet, but you can still mix and match coupe springs or after market coupe lowering springs. Seatbelt retraction is an issue unless it's really fixed in the 2011 models. Handling is OK, but you can feel the extra wait on twisty inclined corners if you do mountain runs. So not a car for the track If you can fit luggage in the back seat you are good to go for top down enjoyment.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:57 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The Bottom line is - how many 4 seat, hard top convertibles with a manual transmission are available? Not many.

Never a leak here so I really don't have much to complain about other than voice commands not available with the top down...
Old 02-13-2011, 08:24 PM
jlac13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
top down...
Old 02-14-2011, 08:36 PM
BHB 91

If all goes well, I'll be picking up a graphite shadow with graphite interior 6MT this Friday or Saturday. Looks like the bug got me.

I'll have some stuff for sale that won't work on the 2011 if the deal goes through so I may need to post some stuff for sale later in the classifieds section. I will have an Infiniti front end mask for a 2008-2010 sport, Brandmotion charging cord and an Infiniti M sport shifter for an automatic.

I will be in the process of removing all of my V-Led's and ambient light kit. Not a bad chore to have if you ask me!

Oh, and I probably will not be modding the vert outside of hard-wiring my radar detector, V-Led's, maybe a rear spoiler and maybe tint. I feel I will be more than content on just driving her they way she is with the top down. I am pretty lucky to live where you can enjoy a convertible almost year-round. We have our snow and ice like a couple of weeks ago but it will top out at 80 later this week too. I can't wait!

Last edited by BHB 91; 02-14-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:32 PM
NYCMaxima

Good stuff BHB!! I bet that Vert will look real good on ya!!

Quick Reply: To drop the top or not