Frozen door lines???

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 12:32 AM
stevelam

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Frozen door lines???

anyone have any problems with the doors in winter? last year i washed my car and the cables froze and i could'nt get in my car and had it towed to the dealer and they said they had to order new cables and replaced them with new ones cuz water was getting in them. now this winter my driver side door was kinda doing the same thing but i was able to get in. when i pull on the handle it feels really stiff and when i close the door i gotta close it like 5 times before it catches and stays shut. gonna call in the morning and talk to the dealership.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:05 PM
akitofan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We had snow here one day, and the door froze shut and wouldn't open. i was afraid to try and force it, since the window attaches directly to the body of the car on the vert, so I ended up having to boil some water and melt it a bit so I could finally open the door...
Old 01-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
Just a head of advice. Dont put boiling water onto frozen door. you will expand the glass and other parts too much, which can cause it to break. Goes agaisnt conventional thinking but put cold / warm water onto the door to help open.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:00 PM
akitofan

Thanks for the headup. My gf had actually warned me as I was boiling the water, so I ended up waiting for it to cool down first. So while not cold/warm, it wasn't boiling either, just kinda hot. I'll be sure to use even warmer/cooler water next time.

Originally Posted by Fezzik
Just a head of advice. Dont put boiling water onto frozen door. you will expand the glass and other parts too much, which can cause it to break. Goes agaisnt conventional thinking but put cold / warm water onto the door to help open.
Just curious though, has no one else come across this problem and thought it ridiculous that our car doors won't open in really cold weather? I mean, I know verts are summer cars, but there are people who drive them all year round.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:16 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Originally Posted by akitofan
Thanks for the headup. My gf had actually warned me as I was boiling the water, so I ended up waiting for it to cool down first. So while not cold/warm, it wasn't boiling either, just kinda hot. I'll be sure to use even warmer/cooler water next time.

Just curious though, has no one else come across this problem and thought it ridiculous that our car doors won't open in really cold weather? I mean, I know verts are summer cars, but there are people who drive them all year round.
I drive all year round but it never gets below freezing in so. cal.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:07 AM
stevelam

ive never owned a car in my life where the doors wont open from the cold. my doors freeze in -5. thats obsurd. my girls 1989 toyota has never had this issue let alone a car thats worth about 70k.. there has not even been a tsb for this issue yet. like come on infiniti canada!!lets figure it out, doors need to open no matter what season it is... i crawled into my windows of my vert at least 10 times like dukes of hazzard and at times and once in front of guests over for christmas.. how embarrasing is that? i love my car but it needs to work and function properly when i need it to bottom line..btw my car goes in next week hopefully this will solve the issues.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:16 PM
2009G37

Never had my doors freeze, not even in -30 Celsius temps in Canada.

However, if you wash your car, and water gets in between the door and jamb or something, then yeah I can understand it. I don't understand how one can complain about this. Water freezes below zero - our cars cannot be expected to defy physics..... If you pour water into a Porsche's doors and let it sit in -20 C temperatures, I'm sure it will freeze too.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:42 AM
stevelam

i wash my 03 accord coupe (winter vehicle) in edmonton, alberta just as much as my black vert cuz i like my vehicles to always be clean to also remove the salt the city puts on the roads. but not once have i had a problem with the doors levers or actuators even right after a car wash and it can get to -35 at night here with our weather.my doors always opened the next morning in my honda. all im saying is that its a problem for me when my doors dont open. my buddys G37 x coupe has never had this problem. maybe just got some bad luck i believe its CalgaryWinger that drives his vert in winter and he has never mentioned a problem but i mean he has to wash that thing sometimes. my car was in a heated garage for 3 days to let it dry out but once it was outside it instantly froze and it was like -6. both sides.

Last edited by stevelam; 01-11-2011 at 01:51 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Calgarywinger

Originally Posted by stevelam
i wash my 03 accord coupe (winter vehicle) in edmonton, alberta just as much as my black vert cuz i like my vehicles to always be clean to also remove the salt the city puts on the roads. but not once have i had a problem with the doors levers or actuators even right after a car wash and it can get to -35 at night here with our weather.my doors always opened the next morning in my honda. all im saying is that its a problem for me when my doors dont open. my buddys G37 x coupe has never had this problem. maybe just got some bad luck i believe its CalgaryWinger that drives his vert in winter and he has never mentioned a problem but i mean he has to wash that thing sometimes. my car was in a heated garage for 3 days to let it dry out but once it was outside it instantly froze and it was like -6. both sides.
Hi Stevelam,
I (or my wife) drive the vert all winter and you're right about washing it, at least once a week at the touchless. My car, however, is garaged every night so the doors dry up. Reading the comments above about the difference between the verts and the coupes, since the verts don't have "B" pillars or a rigid roof, the seals are different than the coupes. I'm thinking that the vert may be more prone to freezing due to the heavier rubber seals.
The only concern I have with water freezing is the retarded feature which opens the window a titch when you open the door. I'm always concerned about wrecking the upper seals.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:09 PM
stevelam

yah i hear ya calgarywinger, best thing is to lower them a cm when u get it in the garage so it can dry out nicely and not freeze up the windows. holy crap have we had it bad the last couple of days this winter!! everone keeps getting stuck here in E town. almost broke records the news was saying. last time it snowed like this was 1989 they said