Belt doesn't retract

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 03:55 PM
Calgarywinger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belt doesn't retract

This may affect all 2009 Vert owners:
I noticed a couple of dents in the lower door panels (driver and passenger). The dents are perfectly circular and are caused by the button just below the seat-belt buckle getting trapped between the door and the seat. I know this issue has been talked about on this forum; this is the official Infiniti response:
From a conversation with Infiniti-Help Canada: Infiniti's stance is that there is nothing wrong with the seat-belt and therefore there will not be any warranty repairs. Warranty only covers defective parts and the seat-belts are not defective.
From a conversation with the Dealer's Service Manager: His opinion after checking a couple of Verts is that this is the worst design he's ever seen. Unclipping the leather loop makes it even worse. He admits he's stumped because if Infiniti refuses to admit fault he can't claim warranty.
My take on this: If Infiniti knew that the belts don't retract and can't fix the problem due to design constraints then they should at least warn owners either in the owner's manual or with a "Caution" sticker.
The douche at Infiniti-Help said to me: If you knew the belt didn't retract why did you continue to close the doors? I replied that after the first time we notice the problem we made sure to retract the belt manually but by then the f***g door panel was damaged.
Any advice out there? Am I hooped or is there other recourse?
Thanks
Dan
Old 08-20-2010, 10:46 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

So they admit it won't retract but they won't cover fixing the damage? Sleazy! I have hit the door on it a few times but no damage. I started months ago retracting it manually before I get out. Occasionally, it does it on its' own.

Your dealer won't do anything for you? You'd think they would cover it or at least give you a large price break on getting it fixed. Do you have a good relationship with your dealer?
Man, I hear some horror stories on here about dealers and Corporate. I guess I am just lucky not have any major problems that require a lot of help or money.

Good luck!

Shane D

PS: Did you lease? If so, I wonder what the reaction would be if you handed it back with a damaged door from this?
Old 08-20-2010, 11:08 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have heard that Infiniti did come up with temp fix that some one got it done with 2 button on the seat shoulder strap but did not resolve the issue. My dealer told me Infiniti is working to come up with a better solution. I don't have any issue as I have used two belt covers ($10)
between strap and seat belts - work fine - no damage in my car so far - had it for a year now. Still you have to be extra careful and try keeping seat belt buckle inside the seat side support.. a little extra care is need.

Last edited by cvipgo; 08-20-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:19 PM
Topper

The dealer just replaced the seat belt retractors in my 09 vert. but it didnt resolve the problem. plenty of dents in my seat and pilar. Just another glitch in their design. I still love the car even with several issues.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:12 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Originally Posted by Topper
The dealer just replaced the seat belt retractors in my 09 vert. but it didnt resolve the problem. plenty of dents in my seat and pilar. Just another glitch in their design. I still love the car even with several issues.
Ten bucks of seat belt covers would have saved you the sweet dimples :>)!.. like I said in my earlier post the new fix is no good that's why I didn't dealer do it who wanted to with my yearly service.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:34 PM
akitofan

Originally Posted by cvipgo
Ten bucks of seat belt covers would have saved you the sweet dimples :>)!.. like I said in my earlier post the new fix is no good that's why I didn't dealer do it who wanted to with my yearly service.
Where did you find them for 10 bucks? Amazon is showing 16.99 + 4.99 shipping for a pair from a third party seller...
Old 08-26-2010, 02:38 AM
cvipgo
Banned

I'll ship you a pair for $15 incl. shipping priority mail, I have an extra new set, I bought 3 sets. PM me if you want.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:46 PM
katfish711

Do you guys have the leather loops with snaps on your seats like I do on my 2010 Sport?

I'm noticing that they seem to unsnap a lot but as long as I keep them in place they seem to keep the belt and buckle out of harms way...

Just wondering if this is a quirk that the newer models still share?
Old 08-26-2010, 09:08 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
^ yes, the 09s and 10s have the buttoned seatbelt holder. The 10s have two buttons vs 1 on the 09s
Old 08-26-2010, 09:30 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Originally Posted by cereal2k
^ yes, the 09s and 10s have the buttoned seat belt holder. The 10s have two buttons vs 1 on the 09s
Yes, Infiniti tried to fix the 09s issue with 10s seat belt solution but it seems & sounds it is worst.... than 09s.