Seperator thingy fell off on me, eep!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 01:55 PM
digitalwanderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seperator thingy fell off on me, eep!

Last night I went to put my top up and it jammed, after quite a bit of playing with it (turning the ignition off/on, trying to put the top up/down again...I know better than to try and force it. ) I finally managed to get it closed...but I'd heard a "thud" on closing. I opened my trunk and the bit that goes behind the backseat, with the chrome strip on it, had fallen off and into the trunk.

It doesn't look like anything is damaged, nor does it look like that bit is actually attached anywhere...it just fits in?

Anyone else have this happen? I'm debating between trying to put it back in myself or taking it in.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:06 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalwanderer
last night i went to put my top up and it jammed, after quite a bit of playing with it (turning the ignition off/on, trying to put the top up/down again...i know better than to try and force it. ) i finally managed to get it closed...but i'd heard a "thud" on closing. I opened my trunk and the bit that goes behind the backseat, with the chrome strip on it, had fallen off and into the trunk.

It doesn't look like anything is damaged, nor does it look like that bit is actually attached anywhere...it just fits in?

Anyone else have this happen? I'm debating between trying to put it back in myself or taking it in.
wtf???
Bring it in!!!!
Old 07-29-2010, 02:16 PM
digitalwanderer

I'm waaaay to lazy for that, I just opened the roof halfway and then popped the bit of plastic onto the 4 studs that it fell off of.

I should have it looked at though, I don't think it's supposed to do that....I just didn't feel like a 2 hour drive today with the kids to hit the dealers.

Besides, it's my wife's car...I got an old beemer.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:30 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm waaaay to lazy for that, I just opened the roof halfway and then popped the bit of plastic onto the 4 studs that it fell off of.

I should have it looked at though, I don't think it's supposed to do that....I just didn't feel like a 2 hour drive today with the kids to hit the dealers.

Besides, it's my wife's car...I got an old beemer.
uh - OK but, what make syou think it wont fall off again & possibly leave you (or your wife) stranded with an open roof?
Old 07-29-2010, 03:30 PM
digitalwanderer

Oh, I think it will if not properly attended to. It's just I didn't really have the motivation/time to take it in today, I'm making an appointment for next week since I have a few other things that need doing. (Brakes, oil, the little plastic guards on the backseat belts that keeps coming loose from the seat.)

I just don't think it's going to happen any time soon, it worked itself loose over 4k miles, it felt solid enough after reinstalling it that I'm not that worried about 20-30 miles more before having it attended to.

Besides, if it breaks down on my wife she'll just call me and have me swap cars with her and she'll leave me to deal with it...as usual.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:23 PM
digitalwanderer

I made an appointment for next Tuesday, I'll let ya know what they say.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:14 PM
NewGMan

Wow, deck lid falls off, little plastic guards on rear seat belts fall off and you don't sound too concerned. Ahhh, wait you have a BMW, this probably seems normal then huh?

I have 2 rattles that have not been rectified yet and it is driving me nuts, I would hate to be my dealer if parts start falling off this car
Old 07-29-2010, 10:04 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Allrighty. Something to look out for. Have you been off-roading the vert?
Old 07-30-2010, 12:45 AM
Foxwiz

Last night I went to put my top up and it jammed, after quite a bit of playing with it (turning the ignition off/on, trying to put the top up/down again...I know better than to try and force it. ) I finally managed to get it closed...but I'd heard a "thud" on closing. I opened my trunk and the bit that goes behind the backseat, with the chrome strip on it, had fallen off and into the trunk.

When I had my car just one week, I opened the top and when the top was just about to close in the trunk, I heard a thud. I then tried to open the top again and it started to open part way then got stuck. Luckily I live near the Infiniti dealer and drove right over.

They found that a clip on one of the bars that moves the top up and down, lost a clip. There would be no way I could have figured that out myself.

They had it fixed within 20 minutes. Take it in and have it done right. It's under warranty!