New Car 335is or G37 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 07:43 PM
NewGMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Car 335is or G37 Convertible

Been shopping for a new car and narrowed it down to the 335is convertible or the G37 convertible (non-sport, but with wheels and tires as I want the A/C seats). My deal on the G is incredible with VPP and MSD Lease. The 335is would cost me about $13,500 more over 3 years (pretty good deal on the 335 as well), but stickers almost $18k more.

Drove them both a few times and the BMW pulls much harder and is more of a drivers car. G seems nicer inside and I would put them about equal, but different in looks outside. Tech. in the G is much better, no comparison.

Tough decision, anybody else compare the 2?
Old 07-12-2010, 08:00 PM
mtlg37

$13,500 more for 3 years is about 20-25% of the value of the g37, that's alot of cash in my pov.

The 335i convertible wasn't in my list because of the high price and the so so interior.

The only thing that bothers me with my G37s is the missing cooled seats, but i rather have the advantages of the S trim.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:28 PM
VossenG37S

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
335is has the power though , I love the 7 sec boost thrust it has it's like 40 ft toque in just a couple sec I read.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:31 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
well personally I would get the G b/c I love the G and hate BMW. But in your situation the G seems like the better idea if for no other reason than the absurd amount of money you will save.

there is absolutely no reason to pay that much more for a BMW. Even if you can stand the company, BMW isn't $13K more of a car than the G. Plus the G is SOOOO much nicer in and out, and it really isn't that much behind the 335 in terms of speed
Old 07-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Clutchr6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the 335i is a better base if you where to mod the car but if you are leasing and your not going to mod it for performance its a no brainer the G is a much better ride
Old 07-13-2010, 12:19 AM
tigercrazy718

id agree with the g idea i feel like with the bmw's you pay WAAAYYY too much for the name
Old 07-13-2010, 01:48 AM
Creepers

ill be honest and everyone may hate me but if it was my choice i'd choose the bimmer. theyve just been at it longer and there are less compromises with the convertible. and you could put a chip in it and really go fast.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:55 AM
Eastern-G

I'm guessing BMW has more experience making convertibles, but I think the G vert would stand out more. Where I live, there are soooooo many 328/335, A4/5, and VW verts that I would definitely go with the G. I have only seen a few around and they definitely turn heads - great exhaust note and unique appearance (breaks up the vert monotony!).
Old 07-13-2010, 03:49 AM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
I drove both as well testing them out. I was going to do a little write up but this is as good a place as any.

1.) Noise--- The BMW was louder on the interior than the G. The G was remarkable quite while the BMW had some wind noise.
2.) Comfort. I actually found the BMW to be a little bit more comfortable in the seating. I am a little bit of a bigger guy and at 6'4"
3.) Room. The rear is pointless for adults on both cars. I know on the G i was able to put 2 car seats in (one rear and foward) and it was a little tight, but doable. Trunk space the G has very little when you need to use the convertible as opposed to the bimmer. But with the whole space with keepign the top up the G seemed to have a little more. but seemed almost the same
4.) Engine. Well they both felt great to me. I know the BMW can be tweeked but for the price i'd rather get a G and buy a supercharger. Bimmers turbo is very nice but i would want to tweak it and would void the warranty anyway.
5.) BMW really nickel and dimes you on a lot of stuff that is standard on the G
6.) The BMW does have a very nice look. But the G does too. Both win in my book with bimmer in a slight edge
7.) I know how to work on nissans and infinitis but not so much on BMW
8.) Handeling did feel a little bit better in the bimmer
9.) Wind deflector in the bimmer is a little better
10.) speed of the top going down and up. Both are only seconds apart but the G was slower
11.) auto tranny on the G felt better than the bimmer. The manual, i know a lot of people probably like the bimmers better but I liked the Gs
12.) Bmw's interior felt older. Its nice dont get me wrong, but just felt... dated
13.) Gadgets are better in the G. Nav was tons better.

I'll add more as I think of them
Old 07-13-2010, 07:55 AM
NewGMan

Originally Posted by Fezzik
I drove both as well testing them out. I was going to do a little write up but this is as good a place as any.

1.) Noise--- The BMW was louder on the interior than the G. The G was remarkable quite while the BMW had some wind noise.
2.) Comfort. I actually found the BMW to be a little bit more comfortable in the seating. I am a little bit of a bigger guy and at 6'4"
3.) Room. The rear is pointless for adults on both cars. I know on the G i was able to put 2 car seats in (one rear and foward) and it was a little tight, but doable. Trunk space the G has very little when you need to use the convertible as opposed to the bimmer. But with the whole space with keepign the top up the G seemed to have a little more. but seemed almost the same
4.) Engine. Well they both felt great to me. I know the BMW can be tweeked but for the price i'd rather get a G and buy a supercharger. Bimmers turbo is very nice but i would want to tweak it and would void the warranty anyway.
5.) BMW really nickel and dimes you on a lot of stuff that is standard on the G
6.) The BMW does have a very nice look. But the G does too. Both win in my book with bimmer in a slight edge
7.) I know how to work on nissans and infinitis but not so much on BMW
8.) Handeling did feel a little bit better in the bimmer
9.) Wind deflector in the bimmer is a little better
10.) speed of the top going down and up. Both are only seconds apart but the G was slower
11.) auto tranny on the G felt better than the bimmer. The manual, i know a lot of people probably like the bimmers better but I liked the Gs
12.) Bmw's interior felt older. Its nice dont get me wrong, but just felt... dated
13.) Gadgets are better in the G. Nav was tons better.

I'll add more as I think of them

Agree with a lot of your points and would add:

1. Wind - Top down in G at < 60MPH with no deflector almost no wind, or noise, while BMW had a lot more wind and noise.
2. Space - Trunk on BMW has some useable space below top when it is down, while G has nada.
3. Transmission - The DCT felt strange to me, but I can see getting used to it. G felt a little sluggish on throttle tip in, could not tell if it was tranny feel, or throttle mapping in short road test. BMW felt "sharper" on acceleration.
4. Uniqueness - While I agree there are 3 series everywhere I look, there are not many 335is cars in my area. There are also not many G convertibles. In my neighborhood the 335is would stand out more I think, but that is more impression than fact.
5. Tech - No brainer here, G blows the BMW out of the water with both functionality and ease of use. This one may be the deciding factor for me, as bad Tech. in a car ends up bugging me on a daily basis.

In addition I re-ran the numbers for me and it is about $10k difference under closer scrutiny. Still a big difference over 3 years, but the cars sticker over $18k apart.

Thanks for everyone's input so far.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:48 AM
tigercrazy718

on the interior: im not entirely sure if its the same interior but we test drove the 325 with no sat nav and the stock radio was EXACTLY the same as our 2002 bmw 5 series. the thing looked ancient and really out of place in a luxury car. the radio in my mustang, which is less than half the price, is nicer than the base one in the 325. that fact really bugged me that they hadn't updated the radio in almost 10 years
Old 07-13-2010, 11:29 AM
droogie
Registered Member

If you're buying the cars based on performance, then IMO you shouldn't be getting a vert. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the top on the G weighs several hundred pounds, and that weight gets distributed into your trunk when its down, which is a bad thing.

If I was getting a car as a pure driver's car, then I would give the edge to a BMW assuming cost was no object. However, SOO many more things go into a car that you have to live with everyday other than just the steering/transmission/suspension/handling relationship that so many people love about Bimmers. Comfort? Looks? Tech? Reliability? Cost? It's these thing's I'd have to give to the G.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Eastern-G

Consider scaling back your food/clothing/medical budget and go with the M3 convertible instead. End of discussion - just have to decide which color looks best!
Old 07-13-2010, 01:42 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Eastern-G
Consider scaling back your food/clothing/medical budget and go with the M3 convertible instead. End of discussion - just have to decide which color looks best!
but then you still have the problem of owning a bimmer...
Old 07-14-2010, 12:43 AM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
but then you still have the problem of owning a bimmer...
LOL!

I'm not a bimmer fan cause of all the nickle and dimeing, just on looks and cost alone I'd still go with a G vert. If I had to drive and bimmer and money was no object, it would have to be an M3 or nothing. Anything else is just plain.

Quick Reply: New Car 335is or G37 Convertible