New Car 335is or G37 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 02:51 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
this being a g37 forum everyone is going to favor the g37. try making this same post on an bmw forum
Old 07-14-2010, 11:17 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I thought about the 335i sedan before I opted for the G37 sedan, but I finally came to my senses and went with the Infiniti.
Years ago I had a 540i that was a joy to drive, whenever it was working properly. The problem was as much as I wanted to like and keep the BMW, the constant problems finally forced me to get rid of it.
I bought the BMW as a CPO with a 4 year and 83,000 miles left on the 4 year warranty.
I drove it daily to work but never had the nerve to take it on a trip because of it's unreliability.
Every time it broke it was fixed under warranty, but it was still a PITA to have to constantly bring the car in.
I figured if I took it on a trip and it broke down somewhere that didn't have a BMW dealership I'd be stranded.
I realize I might not have had any problems with the 335i, but I would have felt like a moron if I had to go through the same problems once again.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:23 PM
NewGMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You experience is not that dissimilar to the experience we had with an X5 in terms of reliability. Nothing ever major, just a bunch of minor issues, but it was a PITA. At the time I assumed it was because it was manufactured in the US.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:33 PM
NewGMan

OK, I am at the point of making my final decision and I think I am going to go with the G for following reasons:

Technology - In Infiniti is much better than BMW - Both loaded, but BMW just can't seem to provide the same overall experience as Infiniti and there are a few things missing (Backup camera, cooled seats, hard drive based navigation). Everything feels a little last generation in the BMW.

Price - BMW would cost me a reasonable amount more.

Luxury - Infiniti just feels more luxurious inside, materials feel higher quality and the car feels more cohesive.

Past Experience - My last Infiniti G Sedan was an awesome experience and the dealer was great to deal with, never a problem and true luxury experience (as an example while you wait for service they have a Cafe with free food and drinks, Wifi, TV, etc.). My experience with the BMW X5 we had was anything but good, there were many minor problems with the car and the dealer experience was terrible. Now the new BMW dealer I am working with is better than the one I previously bough the car from, but it is further away and in the wrong direction for work.

The main benefits of the BMW are:

Looks - It looks more aggressive and masculine. But I also like the look of the Infiniti, I would give a slight edge to the BMW here.

Performance - The BMW is quicker, and also drives more like a sports car. This is both good and bad. During spirited drives this is better, but the feeling of their DCT (Dual Clutch Transmission automatic) feels like a manual car and shifts hard. It also feels like it is slipping when you leave a stop, much like a clutch would feel. BMW is much better sports car, but Infiniti is much better in day to day driving.

Uniqueness - The BMW definitely is a more unique looking car. even though there are a lot of 3 series cars around, they don't look like this one and it has a cool unique look. The Infiniti seems a bit more ordinary, even though there are not many around, it looks like many other Infiniti models. Anyway no way I stand out in my neighborhood either way, my neighbor behind me just ordered a new Porsche Turbo and a new Lamborghini Gallardo. Must be nice to be so rich

Overall the BMW just did not "wow" me enough to justify the additional cost and the overall experience, including the Tech. was not as nice as the Infiniti.

Now I just need to decide between Sport, with better steering and brakes, or non-Sport, with color combo I want (I like the Midnight Garnet with Wheat interior), and cooled seats. I plan to get the wheel and tire package, so no difference there.

I am going to drive them back to back later today and make a final call if the weather holds out.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Last edited by NewGMan; 07-14-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:40 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
glad you have made a decision that YOU will be happy with (and as for model, I'd say the S, but just my $0.02)

just a note though -- I think BMW's are the least unique cars ever next to MAYBE the Civic
Old 07-14-2010, 01:20 PM
NewGMan

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
glad you have made a decision that YOU will be happy with (and as for model, I'd say the S, but just my $0.02)

just a note though -- I think BMW's are the least unique cars ever next to MAYBE the Civic
Generally agree regarding uniqueness of 3 series, but this car is unique IMHO:

Old 07-15-2010, 03:07 PM
lier200a

Good choice! I owned a bmw once... very unreliable! it wouldn't start and the dealer had no idea what was wrong... they change some things, worked for a week, same problem. fixed again, worked another weed and same problem. ended up costing me an extra 5K. Now i completely stay away from BMW. although I was thinking about getting the new z4.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:12 PM
Eastern-G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck with your choice! I love midnight garnet as well - almost went with a midnight garnet G vert with the wheat interior, but chose a white G coupe instead since my coupe will have to stay outdoors whether rain or snow and I wasn't sure if it would be good for the convertible mechanism Plus based on input from this forum, I decided a vert wouldn't be the best option for my 15 mo old daughter in the back (baby would be dessicated by the wind and sun!).

I think either car would be an excellent choice and tons of fun. Both will garner lots of looks (I think the G vert looks nicer than the G coupe). That white 335is is pretty sweet - I would not mind having that as a daily driver! However, I think you're right that the G is a better daily driver. Let us know what you pick you really can't go wrong either way!
Old 07-15-2010, 08:41 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Congrats on your new ride GMan!
Start a new thread & post up some pics!

NJ is well represented in the Vert category.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:25 PM
JohnnyCham
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
all looks good to me, exept the IS, the rear is just too damn ugly!
Old 07-16-2010, 10:22 AM
NewGMan

OK everyone, I take delivery either late today or tomorrow morning:

Midnight Garnet with Wheat, 7 Spd; Tech. Premium, Navigation, Illuminated Sills, Interior Accents Package, Performance Wheel and Tire Package, Spare Tire Package, Wind Deflector and the best option of all... The First Aid Kit (really???).

Very excited about the new car, will post pics after I take delivery.

Thanks again everyone for your input and opinions, it helped me think through my decisions quite a bit.

Quick question about storage; if you don't have the Spare Tire Package, is there any storage available in place of it? Forgot to look and am curious.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:36 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by NewGMan

Quick question about storage; if you don't have the Spare Tire Package, is there any storage available in place of it? Forgot to look and am curious.
Thats a good one...

I put a set of jumper cables, flares, maglight, umbrella and a pair of micro fiber towles in there & it's full!
Old 07-16-2010, 05:32 PM
NewGMan

Originally Posted by bschurr
Thats a good one...

I put a set of jumper cables, flares, maglight, umbrella and a pair of micro fiber towles in there & it's full!
So.... About twice as much as there is in the trunk with the top down then huh?

Just kidding, thanks.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:54 PM
Beer Magazine

I had both. My 335 lease ended and I went with the G. They are different cars. The BMW has the motor, the ride was sucky though. Run-Flats blow. I switched them out and it was better.

If I was buying I'd go with the G, I had a few issues with that N54 engine that I wouldn't trust owning or warranty for life.

Get what you like...my opinion is that IS is a rip off. They turned the boost down on the original 335s and the IS just bumps it back to where it actually was super fast.

For me I'd go with the S4...that was a bigger car, the engine was amazing and it's less than the 335is.