Appreciation (long self absorbed maudlin post, don't say you weren't warned)

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 09:22 PM
ace72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Appreciation (long self absorbed maudlin post, don't say you weren't warned)

Hi all,

It was nice to get a welcome to the forum from a few folks, glad to be here. I've taken the time to post to various forums over the years, and so far I like what I see here. My motivation for visiting this corner of the internet was the unforseen crash of my (first new car ever at 42 yrs old) 07 G35x sedan last Wednesday. I'm lucky to be breathing, nevermind walked away with a minor cut and a nice leopard pattern of purple & black bruises from where the seatbelt saved my *** from the near head on at ~45mph.

I was researching my next purchase, and needed more information on the midnight garnet color combo available only on the 2010 G37 'vert (I may be wrong that you can get it on an EX or something but that's not the point). As I had posted before, I was trying to wrangle a deal on a leftover 09 'vert, or a new 6pd, but that just didn't work out as planned. But all things happen for a reason, so while I was spending my Saturday afternoon on my honey-do list, (2nd wax and detail on the wife's new/used 2005 Mustang 'vert) I thought about putting together a 'feel good post'.

Been married just shy of 20 years, 4 kids, one just heading to college (7 letter word for 'drain my bank account'), and was lucky enough to get that G35x in 07. This was after a non-stop stream of sh*tbox Ford/Lincoln/Merc vehicles that I owned since the day I left the 'rents house and went off to college. Only reason for that brand *superquote* loyalty, was that it was my first car, and learned to work on them myself. Not just tune ups and oil changes, but brakes, fuel pumps, carbs, transmissions, and so on. Even went down the 'put in your own rebuilt engine' path.

I'm not joe-supermechanic... I wish. I'm the guy just like 'you' that had to work on their own car because they couldn't afford to take it to a garage. Burned knuckles on exhaust manifolds, rust in the eyes under the car because you didn't have goggles and couldn't see sh*t with your cheap sunglasses. Broke not one but TWO deep 6 point craftsman sockets with a breaker bar at the boneyard trying to get that part you had to get used because you couldn't afford it new.

(you can cue the violins any time now...)

So I was lucky enough to meet the right girl in college, got married, and badda bing badda boom, the apartment became a house. 2 girls in the second bedroom and another son on the way, our car payment was to be spent for the next 10+ years on reliable Hondas, Accord 5spd, and 2 Odyssey's, the 2nd of which we still have with 205k miles.

There's a point coming soon, bear with me.

The wife had a steady job with a decent company that gave her great flexibility with her hours/schedule, while I did the Infomation Technology thing that produced layoff after resource action after downsizing. After things stabilized in the job market, I was able to break free of the FoMoCo curse, and got a used '96 Buick Roadmaster in 2000. What a ride... I'm 6'3", so I like big cars, and this sucker was a FL car with 59k miles, and a fuel injected LT-1 under the hood. I drove this for the next 6+ years until a minor fender bender on the Xway resulted in a total because they just couldn't locate the parts to fix.

Point? Anytime soon...?

It was this accident that landed me in my first Infiniti. I wend to the Honda dealer first, force of habit, but they didn't have the loaded Accord V6 *with NAV*, so it was over to the Nissan dealership. Checked out the new Maxima, but I was leary of the new CVT transmissions, so I moved on. Next was the test drive of the BMW 328i. Loved the clutch and 'planted chassis'. Hated the re-frikkin-diculous price, lack of room inside for my size, and the scummy sales weasel. To this day I'll never forget the 'oh sh*t' look on his face when I said that I wasn't going to make an offer on the bimmer until I took the G35 for a test drive.

Ended up with a slate blue G35x and loved every last second of ownership. During the aforementioned broke college student days, I had a rusted out 70 Torino GT 'vert, and that while married w/o kids a 72 LTD 'vert. That's when the open air bug bit me. When I bought the G, I had wished after while, if only Infiniti made a convertible... Heh, we all know how that story ended.

So now, finally, after all these years of quotation fingers 'hard work', the dream is now reality, and my 2010 'vert is on the way. What is interesting is that when I finally got my G, my wife was worried that I'd turn into one of those super-**** car nuts that park a billion miles away from all other cars and constantly be fawning over it at the expense of all other considerations... Little did she know that i was reserving that behavior for right NOW with the new 'vert! =P

I had my new G for only 28 days (hmm who counted), when somehow a big rock hit my drivers front fender and put 4 huge paint chips down the to undercoat. I took it in stride, and realized it didn't diminish the 'awesome-ness' of my first new car. Over the next few years there were a few additional scrapes and scratches from life in a garage with a family of 6, and every day road hazards. But I still loved my ride as all of us devoted Infiniti owners do...

This post is more to express sincere appreciation for being blessed with the opportunity to own such a fine automobile. From the kick *** sexy styling, to the can't-be-beat value and quality, you just gotta L-O-V-E this marque.

There will be no words to describe my happiness when I pick up my new 2010 G37 'vert in June. I'm sure many of you reading this forum can relate. From the rabid posters, to the folks who only contribute here and there. Yeah, I know, it's just 'a car' but none of us would be reading this forum if we thought our Infinitis were just another car...

peace/out

-ace72
Old 05-22-2010, 10:54 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
welcome and congrats on the 'vert.

What is it with BMW salesmen being weasels?! My fist choice was a 328i but the salesman was douche and price was ridiculous!
Old 05-23-2010, 12:44 AM
Eastern-G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great post and congrats on the new vert order! It'll be great to get away from the family sometimes and just go for a nice open-air cruise! I'm hoping to join the vert club myself soon. Already have an Odyssey (gotta love the minivan), but miss my old G35 coupes. Couldn't help being **** with my coupes and I'm sure it'll be even worse with the vert. I even park my Odyssey far from other cars - pretty sad, I know.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and make sure you post pics of your fifth child!
Old 05-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Beer Magazine

Wait you guys are cracking on the 328 for price? The Vert starts at about 47k...well above a 328. (I guess the 328 vert is more)...

But without some needless options the 328 isn't super super expensive in comparison.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:26 PM
ace72

Originally Posted by Beer Magazine
Wait you guys are cracking on the 328 for price? The Vert starts at about 47k...well above a 328. (I guess the 328 vert is more)...

But without some needless options the 328 isn't super super expensive in comparison.
My comments regarding the price was the fact that like any car, once you pile on the options it escalates quickly. I have to give the 328 props, I loved the clutch and planted to the road feel during my test drive. However that was only 2 out of about 10 criteria I had to factor in making my first new car purchase. After driving the G35x with premium package, for me anyway, it was a clear choice. All the options needed to bring the 328 up to the G35 would have ended up with about the same bottom line cost, but the G35 would still a bit faster if you are only focusing on 0-60 and other stats.

I have to point out it was a 328i coupe and not a sedan as well, but I think it's apples an oranges here, as the G35/G37 are better compared to the BMW 335.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:09 PM
pwlorraine

OP - you have 4 kids and your other car is a mustang convertible? I wouldn't have thought you could get by with two convertibles. We've always had an SUV or similar as the primary car.

G37 vert is a great car - not much fun in the backseat for more than short trips.

Regarding BMW dealers, I've had good experiences. But most luxury dealers do a quick assessment about whether you can afford the car and some wind up treating you badly and dismissively if they don't think you can. While they are talking to someone who can't afford the car, the customer who can will walk in and be snapped up by another salesman. Show up in a BMW coming off lease and they'll treat you like royalty.

A friend of mine who is a very competent engineer drives a mercedes and occasionaly works on it himself - when he goes to the dealer he dreads meeting with the german service manager who is dressed in a lab coat and scolds him for *tinkering*. "This is not some Ford where you can just fiddle about!" Sort of like if you went to the hospital and the doctor scolded you for trying surgery on one of your kids at home to save money. Part of the fun I guess!

Peter
Old 05-26-2010, 10:00 PM
ace72

We still have the Honda Odyssey minivan for family hauling. The oldest is off to college this fall and her sister is about to get her license, and will be driving the Honda while the wife and I each drive our convertibles. A winter beater might also wind up in our driveway as I won't be likely to venture out in the RWD G37 as opposed to the AWD G35x.