snake bit top - dings on hard top - pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 11:12 PM
SDYankee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Temporary Relief

So I got a call yesterday afternoon from Infiniti's Consumer Affairs, and was informed that while there was nothing wrong with the car from their testing, it was looking as though Infiniti was going to be authorizing the repairs and that I would get a confirmation call today.

Today I got the call from the dealership informing me that Infiniti was indeed going to authorize the repair.

While this is all fine and good that it is going to be taken care of, what am I supposed to do going forward? I know that I did not store anything in the trunk while the top was in operation (or obviously while it was down), but if this happens again I am going to be S.O.L. as there is no way that Infiniti is going to keep fixing something they don't see a problem with.

Any recommendations? Short of installing a damned video camera in the trunk to show them nothing is in there, how am I supposed to protect myself in the future in the event that this happens again? If it happened 1,200 miles in, I have no doubt it will happen at some point in the future...
Old 07-04-2012, 12:39 AM
KevinBrown
Registered Member

FYI, finally had a break and took mine in. All I did was point out where the pad was rubbing on the roof and that the clear coat looked damaged. The service manager indicated that he'd need a couple of days to deal with the core problem first and then work with his body shop manager to decide on the best course for fixing the clear coat damage. I didn't have to apply any pressure, they stepped up.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:36 AM
Doc750

Well at least there is some good news.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:25 PM
RANDY350Z
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would keep a record of this repair once it is done and keep a printed account of this thread . You shouldnt have a problem in the future , my dealership painted my hood 2x after a botched touch up that they had done, 1 year apart and they fixed it with no problems.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:05 PM
2ducs
Registered Member

Hell I bought my '11 Limited Edition of the showroom floor with the dents.
Showed it to them, they fixed the dents two weeks later, and look out it happened again. Guess they thought I had the upper hand as they were were there before so they were fixed again.
Third time I had four dents. Found out a position sensor failed and the roof got out of sequence. Fixed again. Clear coat over spray all over the car that time.
Back to dealer three more times for that because while removing over spray, they were leaving swirl marks in the finish and it was very unsightly in the sun.
Then the headliner started having problems like tearing and draw strings breaking! Went through four episodes of that all the while having water leaks around forward roof panels and windows.
Was in Nashville on business and had a headliner prob. Took it to the dealership right by the Nissan headquarters and had it fixed. They burned out the pump motor troubleshooting the problem and it now has a new motor. They also returned the car to me filthy of hand prints and a broken piece of trim in the rear passenger compartment.
They wanted to take it back into the service department but I made them wipe the car down and replace the trim in the parking lot right in front of the showroom door where they parked it after the repairs! The also expected me to give them all Great remarks on the survey. Well I disappointed them Greatly!
And by the way, all repairs under warranty. No questions asked.
I lost my '03 G35 Coupe Leather to the April 29th Tuscaloosa tornado and treated myself to a new '11 vert. Love the car when everything works however give me a break,disappointment prevails!!!
May get a KIA next time.
Attached Thumbnails snake bit top - dings on hard top - pics-photo-11-.jpg  

Last edited by 2ducs; 07-06-2012 at 10:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-06-2012, 09:43 PM
KevinBrown
Registered Member

That picture is something else. If you wanted a convertible, I think there may have been an easier mod than dropping a tree on your car.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:57 PM
bulldog2

I understand your frustration....I finally gave up and got rid of the vert...poor quality roof and even poorer customer service from the factory. Everyone should call their customer service corporate number at least once just for a good laugh. Beautiful looking car just a shame the roof has so many issues and rattles so badly. Actully dumped the vert for several reasons....Nissan/Infiniti refused to fix the dimples in the top and stated it was user error. While it was being flatbeded in from a roof malfunction, I asked them to repair the door dimples. Eventhough I had one of the first 09s and it was obvious that the seat belt would not retract and there were dimples in the door panel the dealer refused to fix since my VIN was not listed in the SB. I complained and and asked for the Region Rep to contact me....still waiting on that call. With such poor customer service and Infiniti's obvious unwillingness to stand behind their product, I simply could not risk owning this vehicle outside the warranty period and traded it before it lost more even more value. I have owned a Chevy, Nissan, Honda, Volvo, Mazda, and Acura. First and last Infiniti for me...
Old 03-13-2013, 08:46 AM
colnajoe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cereal2k
Never had it happen until my car was towed with a stuck roof.
This is exactly what happened to mine yesterday. '09 with 28k and roof panel was good until I had to tow it 22 miles. The roof got stuck in the trunk with truck flipped open. Towed backwards on flatbed. I got 4 quarter sized dimples with deep scrapes inside each dimple. At dealer now waiting to hear the outcome. I'm sure its pump failure. I had it stopped half way down to service seals and weatherstripping. While engine off, the top sank into the trunk against the hydraulics. Sad lesson learned.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:39 AM
12G37SVERT

this happened to mine when I had 2300 miles dealer repaired no questions asked
Old 07-16-2014, 03:26 PM
Palomita

Sorry to bring up an old thread...

I just picked up a 2012 with 24K miles on it. It had the "snake bites" when I tested it out, and the sales person (Logan Webb- nice guy) told me that this would be a warranty covered issue. Sure enough, he had it squared away for me through their shop. I hope to get it back by Friday. The dealership was really good about recognizing the issue before I bought the car. Infiniti of Charlotte is ok so far... let's see how it goes.

I'm curious if anyone that has had these repaired has had them come back.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:58 AM
pheonix75

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I was in a 20mph front end accident, the top was down. After putting it up the snake-bites were there...the shop(Infiniti Park Place Las Vegas) that repaired the car was incompetant. They repaired the dents, but did not realign the top. The first time the top was put down the dents came back. My shop tried to fix it...turned out the hinges for the top were damaged as well...The cost was $14,000 to repair the hinges...I took the check and traded the car in for a 2011 Limited Edition Vert.
Moral of the story, hopefully the shop makes sure the top is aligned before repairing the dents.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:15 AM
Palomita

I wonder if the marks can also occur if someone sits in the back of the seats where the panel in front of the trunk is when the top is down. You know... where the beauty queens sit... lol.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:23 AM
mongo138
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No help from CS

Same thing happened to mine and took it back dealer said no operator error. Called customer service and they were going to look into it. Car went back to dealer and they called next day sorry no problems found. Must be your fault!
This is my 4th Infiniti and may be the last except other than this they have been great cars!
Darn service department cant cough up $500. to make customer happy.
Go figure that one out.
Guess its of to Jiffy Lube for now see how they like that.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:53 AM
Palomita

So I got the car back...

The dings were repaired, but they left grease all over the car, tape marks on the door, orange grease on the back seat, tore the vinyl panel where that pops up to cover the gap left when the roof is down and whomever drove my car to the body shop must have gotten behind a truck hauling gravel because my hood had chips and dings. The grill now has to be replaced and I've been paying for a car that has been in the shop longer than I've had it in my possession. The morons that buffed the top after painting seem to also have buffed the back window as well.

Color me pissed off!
Old 05-14-2015, 10:41 PM
milesg37

how much are these " snake bites" to repair?

I just bought a 2012 purple vert with these snake bites already on it. Was my bad, top was down when we drove it and I didn't check the top closely when I bought it. Car had 28k and is still under warranty, what are these running to repair?

Quick Reply: snake bit top - dings on hard top - pics