snake bit top - dings on hard top - pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 06:14 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Never had it happen until my car was towed with a stuck roof.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:29 AM
demarcom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same thing here... took delivery with the top down and found the marks the next morning when the top and sun were up! Dealer fixed it without issue, however what I found in the middle of the trunk floor when I opened it up was the first aid kit. I beleive that was the culprit. Another member provided a great tip. put the divider down whenever it's non-convertible weather, car wash, service, etc. seems Infiniti needs to improve the sensors in the trunk to avoid this. The loaner they gave me had the same marks, but much worse!!
Old 05-08-2012, 10:20 PM
JRinkinen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same Problem

Hey guys,
I found this forum while searching for a solution to the same problem I have on my 2010 G37 vert...identical scratches on each side of my roof. After bringing it to the dealer in Dayton, OH today, I was told mutliple times it could only happen by a user leaving something in the trunk. I was told they wouldn't fix this under the warranty.

Can anyone that has had this issue fixed at an Infiniti dealership do me a huge favor and either email me (floridianliven@hotmail.com) or post contact info for a dealer contact that fixed the problem so I could call them and find out how to explain this to my dealer? I'd really like to get this fixed because I love the car otherwise.

Thanks guys...this seems like a great user forum!

Jonathan
Old 05-09-2012, 10:31 PM
dtaylor72

Originally Posted by JRinkinen
Hey guys,
I found this forum while searching for a solution to the same problem I have on my 2010 G37 vert...identical scratches on each side of my roof. After bringing it to the dealer in Dayton, OH today, I was told mutliple times it could only happen by a user leaving something in the trunk. I was told they wouldn't fix this under the warranty.

Can anyone that has had this issue fixed at an Infiniti dealership do me a huge favor and either email me (floridianliven@hotmail.com) or post contact info for a dealer contact that fixed the problem so I could call them and find out how to explain this to my dealer? I'd really like to get this fixed because I love the car otherwise.

Thanks guys...this seems like a great user forum!

Jonathan
I had the same problem a few months ago.. The service desk at the dealership tried to claim that it could only have happened from someone opening the roof with something in the trunk. I informed him that it was a widely reported/documented issue on the forums. Long story short, the cars computer apparently logs a code when the roof is closed improperly. They said the absence of this code supported my story. They ended up fixing it under warranty. It also didn't help them that they had a brand new one on the lot with the same dings, and another customer bought their vert in right after me with the same issue.

Service Consultant was Ray Khan and Service Manager was Victor Navarro at Lake Norman Infiniti - 1-888-667-0705.

Lake Norman Infiniti | Service Center
Old 05-10-2012, 11:42 AM
JRinkinen

Originally Posted by dtaylor72
I had the same problem a few months ago.. The service desk at the dealership tried to claim that it could only have happened from someone opening the roof with something in the trunk. I informed him that it was a widely reported/documented issue on the forums. Long story short, the cars computer apparently logs a code when the roof is closed improperly. They said the absence of this code supported my story. They ended up fixing it under warranty. It also didn't help them that they had a brand new one on the lot with the same dings, and another customer bought their vert in right after me with the same issue.

Service Consultant was Ray Khan and Service Manager was Victor Navarro at Lake Norman Infiniti - 1-888-667-0705.

Lake Norman Infiniti | Service Center

Thanks for your help! I contacted Ray, and he let me know what to have my dealership check. Hopefully the test will reveal the same information on mine.

--Jonathan
Old 06-10-2012, 08:00 PM
SDYankee

Saw this today

Thank you all for your input. I bought my car on 4/30/2012 and it just crossed 1,000 miles this week. Was washing my windows and saw the marks in the identical spot on both sides. Going to make an appointment with the local dealership after I get my clearbra and tint installed this week and see what happens.

Glad to see that at least some dealers are owning up to the issue and taking care of them.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:13 AM
KevinBrown
Registered Member

Slightly different question on this topic... The section that sits under the rear window is the 2nd to last to fold down (the trunk lid is last). It has two rubber pads under it to pad itself against the front section of the roof. One of these pads left rubber behind on the roof section, when I removed it, it appears to have scratched the clear coat. Anyone else seen this version of the roof dent issue?
Old 06-11-2012, 01:31 AM
Mike888

Originally Posted by KevinBrown
Slightly different question on this topic... The section that sits under the rear window is the 2nd to last to fold down (the trunk lid is last). It has two rubber pads under it to pad itself against the front section of the roof. One of these pads left rubber behind on the roof section, when I removed it, it appears to have scratched the clear coat. Anyone else seen this version of the roof dent issue?
I haven't had this issue, but I have seen it before on my cousin's g vert. Apparently something was wrong with the motor that controls the black shelf (I think it's call the rear parcel shelf) and it was loose. When he had his top down, the shelf was literally resting against the front portion of the roof and leaving black rubber marks. I think the dealer replaced both the motor and parcel shelf under warranty. I'm not sure if yours is having the same issue, but when you have your top down, is the rubber on one or both side of the shelf touching your roof? You can check by just pressing on the aluminum part of the shelf once the top is drop. There should be some gap between the roof and the pads. Also in my cousin's case, he had the issue for a while but thought it was normal for the rubber to rub off on the roof. But one day he started noticing that when closing his top, the parcel shelf was so loose that it wasn't standing at a 90 degree angle when retracting and the edge of the roof was actually hitting against the edge of the shelf as it is closing. Sorry for the long story, but if you think theres something wrong, just bring it to a dealer and they'll know right away (hopefully). Best of luck.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:03 PM
KevinBrown
Registered Member

I played with it a bit today (up and down, measuring along the way), I noticed two things.

At the VERY end of both open and close the left side of the trunk lid comes down well before the right side (2-3" ahead). Anyone else see this? I recall seeing this a little on one I test drove, but not 2-3".

Second, when it's completely down there's some give to the deck over the front section of the roof. Push down on deck lid, it goes down before the rubber stop contacts the roof. However the left side has at least 1" less give (push) before it stops. Makes me wonder if it's a simple alignment thing where the left is ahead of the right the entire time.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:57 PM
Mike888

Originally Posted by KevinBrown
I played with it a bit today (up and down, measuring along the way), I noticed two things.

At the VERY end of both open and close the left side of the trunk lid comes down well before the right side (2-3" ahead). Anyone else see this? I recall seeing this a little on one I test drove, but not 2-3".

Second, when it's completely down there's some give to the deck over the front section of the roof. Push down on deck lid, it goes down before the rubber stop contacts the roof. However the left side has at least 1" less give (push) before it stops. Makes me wonder if it's a simple alignment thing where the left is ahead of the right the entire time.
I think the left side (driver) of the parcel shelf is always tilted to the left a little (mines is the same) but not by much. If it damaged your clear cloat, stop by the dealer and have them check it out.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:55 PM
XCoop

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Threads like these make me smile that I have a sunroof. All these problems when the car is brand new; I wouldn't want them post warranty. I've always looked at verts as toys, not reliable transportation. Something to baby on the weekends.

When the top is up, and it's not squeaking, how do noise levels compare to the coupe?

Good luck with the issues and I do hope you get them finally resolved, that they are not recurring, and hopefully Infiniti takes responsibility for them.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:06 PM
RANDY350Z
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Man, I was looking forward to an IPL convertible, now I may just go for the coupe!
Old 06-20-2012, 02:11 AM
SDYankee

And the plot grows thicker

Well, the car went in and I was informed today that everything was taken care of, and by everything I mean that they fixed the rattle in the roof and told me that the snake bite marks in the roof were my fault. Apparently if they can't find a problem with the roof mechanism and hydraulic system, it is automatically my fault for lowering the roof with something in the trunk, which never happened. I actually haven't had anything in the compartment of the trunk where the top folds into, only the small crevice when the divider is up. Ugh.

Already called Infiniti consumer affairs to file a complaint and request resolution, as the car has 1,200 miles and I haven't had anything in the trunk section where the trunk folds in. If that doesn't prove to be of assistance, then I'll move to filing claims against Infiniti with the BBB and automotive bureau and see where that goes.

Starting to think I should've just bought another BMW; had two of those and BMW was great at standing by their product.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:32 PM
TwoThree

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
I've seen a few of these come in. Funny to see the Verts come in with the snake bites. There doesn't seem to be any other issues with them other than these little dents. We end up shimming and adjusting the brackets and then get it out to the body shop to have the paint and dents repaired. Really unfortunate, but just another reason why I am not a drop top fan.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:43 AM
KevinBrown
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SDYankee
Well, the car went in and I was informed today that everything was taken care of, and by everything I mean that they fixed the rattle in the roof and told me that the snake bite marks in the roof were my fault. Apparently if they can't find a problem with the roof mechanism and hydraulic system, it is automatically my fault for lowering the roof with something in the trunk, which never happened. I actually haven't had anything in the compartment of the trunk where the top folds into, only the small crevice when the divider is up. Ugh.

Already called Infiniti consumer affairs to file a complaint and request resolution, as the car has 1,200 miles and I haven't had anything in the trunk section where the trunk folds in. If that doesn't prove to be of assistance, then I'll move to filing claims against Infiniti with the BBB and automotive bureau and see where that goes.

Starting to think I should've just bought another BMW; had two of those and BMW was great at standing by their product.
The irritating thing about the "you left something in the trunk" excuse is that anything left in the trunk would not be damaging that part of the roof in the first place. It's quite easy to show how perfectly the piece that causes the dents lines up with the dents.

Quick Reply: snake bit top - dings on hard top - pics