New G37S Convertible - Rattles?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 02:25 PM
weaver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferrd
I can confirm this as well. I was just in for service, and they asked if I wanted the retrofit kit for the roof. Stated it was a new TSB from Infiniti, and it was recommended for all G37 Convertibles. Since mine has been quiet I declined, but my service adviser stated it was a pretty good overhaul of the roof.
I have a 2011 7at as well and i will call the dealer I got to here in Louisiana and see if they can fix it. I will be bringing it in on a Saturday morning. Is this an all day thing so I will have to wait for it or will they give me a loaner. I am about an hour away from the closest dealer and don't want to wait around all day or have someone follow me and go home and come back.

TIA
Old 03-20-2012, 01:41 PM
_tjp_

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am currently trying to decide between purchasing a convertible 2012 G37 6MT and a 2012 BMW 335i. I was leaning toward the G37 intil I came acoss this roof rattle issue. This has me really concerned. I've talked to a couple of BMW 335 convertible owners and they have had no problems with the roof. I also searched several BMW forums and there are no threads on this issue with the folding hardtop.
Can anyone confirm if this recent Infiniti TSB has really resolved the issue, or is it a short term fix?
Also, can anyone confirm this issue with the 2012 model?
Old 03-20-2012, 03:46 PM
peegu

Originally Posted by _tjp_
I am currently trying to decide between purchasing a convertible 2012 G37 6MT and a 2012 BMW 335i. I was leaning toward the G37 intil I came acoss this roof rattle issue. This has me really concerned. I've talked to a couple of BMW 335 convertible owners and they have had no problems with the roof. I also searched several BMW forums and there are no threads on this issue with the folding hardtop.
Can anyone confirm if this recent Infiniti TSB has really resolved the issue, or is it a short term fix?
Also, can anyone confirm this issue with the 2012 model?
G37 vert will rattle several month after you purchase. I tend to think all harttop will, but G37 just rattles more, it is a design issue. The TSB Infiniti came up with was just to put cushion tapes everywhere.

My take on this, you should lease a Bimmer 335 convertible. If you really want to buy, I'd still choose G37. Personally, haivng a turbo or oil pump failure 4 years down the road is a lot worse than a rattle top
Old 05-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Panamajon

Originally Posted by peegu
G37 vert will rattle several month after you purchase. I tend to think all harttop will, but G37 just rattles more, it is a design issue. The TSB Infiniti came up with was just to put cushion tapes everywhere.

My take on this, you should lease a Bimmer 335 convertible. If you really want to buy, I'd still choose G37. Personally, haivng a turbo or oil pump failure 4 years down the road is a lot worse than a rattle top
It isn't just for several months. I'm approaching Year 2 and the rattle gets worse as time goes by.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:57 PM
weaver

Fixing to bring mine to another dealer to see what they can do. First trip didn't do anything, so maybe this dealer will figure it out. I am definitely turning in the car when the lease is up. Should have went with the coupe, but wanted a vert, so that is the way it goes.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:43 AM
akochman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have taken my car in to 2 different dealerships to try to fix the rattles and squeaks. They have replaced the front latches 2 times but they are still screwed up (loud squeaking every time i go over a dip in the road or make a turn). The last trip to the dealership managed to solve the rattles coming from the top but now the rattles coming from the back window are worse than when I brought the car in to be fixed.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Warp6
Registered Member

Here's how I tackled my rattle-rattle.
This sound was coming from the right side trunk area. With the car in park, the revs were high enough as to smooth out any vibrations. With it in drive the revs lower allowing for the vibration to come back. I chocked one of the wheels, started the car, set the park brake and dropped the transmission in drive. rattle-rattle rattle....ha! I was going to find it come hell or high water!! I dove into the back seat and stuck my hands in any area they would fit. I could tell really close where it was coming from but not quite. Opening the trunk would make the noise stop. So here I go, into the shut trunk with my flashlight and my giggling wife supervising. I ran my hand up between the trunk and the small little filler panel that flops out when the top goes down. Rattle stopped. I could literally feel the loose attachment screws. Out of the trunk I came and straight to my toolbox for my phillips-head and a bottle of blue loctite. I cycled the top toward the down position until the filler panels flopped around to gain access to the 3 attachment screws. The screws were all scratched up from my previous take-backs to the dealership. Now the screws got a nice dose of loctite and about two grunts of torque with the screwdriver. Viola! No rattles!! yay me!!
**NOTE**I would suggest if you stop your top mid-operation as I did, after you make your repair continue the roof in the same motion it was going when you stopped. If you were opening the the top, make the repair, then continue the opening process until it stops. Or vice-versa, if you were closing the top, stop, then continue the closing until it is completely done.

Last edited by Warp6; 09-14-2012 at 05:18 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:36 PM
ronwoodcrest

Me too with 1800 miles. Same sound
Old 07-12-2013, 01:16 AM
dano

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
320 miles and I hear a slight rattle in my 2013...o well I usually bump my music so I cant hear it at all
Old 07-15-2013, 12:32 PM
Spindoctor
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Warp6
ran my hand up between the trunk and the small little filler panel that flops out when the top goes down. Rattle stopped. ... I cycled the top toward the down position until the filler panels flopped around to gain access to the 3 attachment screws.
Were the screws on the SINGLE large filler panel or on one of the TWO small filler panels? (Can't tell from your description.)
Old 07-17-2013, 02:18 PM
Autocutter
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Finally found the source of my noise that sounded like a ruler being plucked on the edge of desk. With the top up, I looked in the trunk and saw the plastic top cover and I thumped it by accident and viola I created the noise. Looking at the bottom of the cover, I saw a long plastic piece that had a 22 degree bend it along the edge-one end was sagging, so I looked a saw that it was sagging because it was missing a screw. The noise was coming from the plastic hitting the metal plate where the screw would go. Anyway, found a screw and secured the bar and now no more noise-I am so happy!
Old 08-21-2013, 12:28 PM
offphucer

I have a 2012 S vert at the beginning I have rattle sound and keep brining it back to the dealer. It gets better when i leave the dealer and then the rattle comes back. After awhile I found out that if i open the roof then close it the rattle stop. And then I realized that the rattle is worst in the winter because we don't open the roof. also the way I close the trunk it helps if I close it in the middle instead of the side so it line up straight don't know if it make sense but those two things I did works for me and I havnt brought my car back to the dealer since. Hope this info helps.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:04 AM
SigX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I discovered how to stop the rattles...

Put the top down!
Old 08-22-2013, 10:16 AM
colnajoe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SigX
I discovered how to stop the rattles...

Put the top down!
I hear ya my vert brother! I kinda like the rattles. They have a great beat, you can dance to them
Old 08-22-2013, 12:27 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Not sure what you mean when you say from the middle vs the side. Pics or more elaborate description please.

Originally Posted by offphucer
I have a 2012 S vert at the beginning I have rattle sound and keep brining it back to the dealer. It gets better when i leave the dealer and then the rattle comes back. After awhile I found out that if i open the roof then close it the rattle stop. And then I realized that the rattle is worst in the winter because we don't open the roof. also the way I close the trunk it helps if I close it in the middle instead of the side so it line up straight don't know if it make sense but those two things I did works for me and I havnt brought my car back to the dealer since. Hope this info helps.

Quick Reply: New G37S Convertible - Rattles?!?