Top up or down with a single press

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 12:54 AM
BigBad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This mod sounds like a great way to void your warranty!
Also, there is a difference whether your engine is running or not. With the engine off your battery has ~12.45V. With the engine on you're at ~14.1V and is being charged too. The higher voltage helps the actuators move faster, with less strain.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:49 AM
KPierson
Banned

A big thanks to John for making the 10 hour drive to have this and the NI35 installed this morning. The module installation was actually pretty easy and it works well.

I wouldn't worry about voiding any warranties with this module as all it does is simulate a person pushing the button. The operation can be canceled at any point by pressing the other button. All of our "one touch" modules actually require two quick pulses so the roof will still operate like normal for people who don't know its been modified.

We were unable to get the roof to work at all with the engine off. We could get it to go down with the engine off but couldn't get it to go back up. Are we missing something?

Pictures and YouTube video later today.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:46 PM
KPierson
Banned

As I mentioned, this module took no more then an hour to install. We were installing the NI35 which requires you to remove the radio so I tapped the switched power and ground wires behind the radio:

In this picture the puple wires is the OEM switched power wire and the black wire is the OEM ground. This is the area behind the radio after the radio has been removed:

When you take the radio out you have to remove the shift **** and the trim around the shift ****. With those two pieces out of the way the trim piece that the heated seat switches and the top up/down switch is in just pops out. I started with the edge towards the front of the car and worked it up and towards the front of the car at the same time and with a bit of patience it came out. I wire tied the module to a harness down behind the shifter:

The other two wires of the KPtech One Touch module connect to the convertable top switch. I chose to connect the wires at the bottom of the switch wiring instead of right at the switch just for a cleaner installation. I would recomend that the shielding around the wiring be cut with a razor blade to give better access to the wires.

PLEASE NOTE that in the pictures one of the wires is connected wrong. After testing the module we found that a wire was connected incorrectly so please use the pictures for reference over and remember to check all wiring before applying power to the module.

The wiring is as follows:
KPtech yellow - purple wire in main harness behind radio
KPtech black - black wire in main harness behind radio
KPtech green - brown at convertable top switch
KPtech blue - purple at convertable top switch

If I was installing this module without the KPtechnologies NI35 Navigation Interface module I would have tried to find switched power inside the console instead of behind the radio. There is a yaw sensor right in the area that has switched power and ground right at it - the switched power is green and the ground is gray. If you wire in the power and ground here I bet this can be done in under 30 minutes!

Here is a video of it in action: YouTube - OneTouchG37VertModule.avi
Old 04-17-2010, 02:00 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Kevin -
Very nice & just in time for summer!
How much for a loyal customer?
-Barry
Old 04-17-2010, 04:05 PM
KPierson
Banned

Barry,

I actually have one sitting here with your name on it. I will get it sent out ASAP. I need to create an installation document and then it'll be ready.

Once they are released and on our site they will be $49.99.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:59 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Very cool! Any chance of a key fob for this?
As far as the situation about the up/down with engine off, I can offer one bit of trivia for you: You can also drop the roof by holding the button on the door (standing outside of the car). However this same button will NOT close the roof, no matter how long you hold it. Maybe it is related to that?

Nice price too!

Shane D
Old 04-18-2010, 07:30 AM
KPierson
Banned

If the car was designed so that it is impossible to raise the roof with the engine off we wouldn't make a module to change that as there is obviously a reason they would do that.

Can you lower the roof by holding the button? I thought you had to insert the key and turn and hold it in the "UNLOCK" position to lower the roof. If it can be done with the key cylinder we should be able to make a module, if the button needs to be pushed then it will be much more difficult.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:11 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by KPierson
If the car was designed so that it is impossible to raise the roof with the engine off we wouldn't make a module to change that as there is obviously a reason they would do that.

Can you lower the roof by holding the button? I thought you had to insert the key and turn and hold it in the "UNLOCK" position to lower the roof. If it can be done with the key cylinder we should be able to make a module, if the button needs to be pushed then it will be much more difficult.
If you are standing outside the car, with the key fob in your pocket, you just hold the button in the door handle. Windows and then roof will drop. You do have to push the button and keep it pushed, same as the console switch. They will not go back up though.

Shane D
Old 04-18-2010, 02:56 PM
pwlorraine

I don't suppose you took any pictures of the NI35 install? I'm about to install the unit I bought back in February - love to check the wire colors and have a feel for where I'm going to put the NI35. Specifically the vss and e-brake pins / colors? VSS is 38 - gray and ebrake 36- sky blue I think..

Also, the one-touch roof control is very nice. Is this up for sale yet?

Peter

Last edited by pwlorraine; 04-18-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:06 PM
KPierson
Banned

There are detailed pictures on our forum for the NI35 install in to a 2007 G sedan - the installation is identical.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:29 PM
pwlorraine

There are detailed pictures on our forum for the NI35 install in to a 2007 G sedan - the installation is identical.
Kevin - which is "our forum"? On your vendor site kptechnologies.com?

Peter
Old 04-18-2010, 07:17 PM
KPierson
Banned

Peter,

Sorry for the confusion - KPtechnologies Forums • View topic - 2007/8 G35 Navi Bypass Installation
Old 04-18-2010, 07:53 PM
pwlorraine

Well - that article is pretty clear! Bookmarked and I'll do it this week.

Peter
Old 06-15-2010, 10:07 PM
BuckarooVT90

any updates on this product? I don't see it on his site for ordering. I've PM'd him but haven't heard back from KP yet.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:24 AM
KPierson
Banned

I hope to have this up on our website by the end of this week!

Quick Reply: Top up or down with a single press