Top up or down with a single press

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 03:08 PM
thedollardoctor
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KPierson_
From what I have seen since these cars were released in the USA back in '03 not a single one has allowed the windows to be raised over the CAN bus. This is why whenever someone does an alarm installation it is recommended to run the lock and unlock wires in to the drivers door where the windows can be controlled with a ground pulse instead of using a data module. No data modules that I have seen include the window feature.

thedollardoctor - maybe this next weekend we can meet up - with Fathers Day being today I didn't have any spare time this weekend.
This coming weekend is a possibility. I would like to find a time where I can drop my car off at your shop and you can have it for a day or so to really get a good amount of work done. Instead of trying to find several times where I can come by for an hour or so. I think this is the better plan. Let's touch base towards end of the week and figure something out.
J.R.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:26 PM
lier200a

Hey guys,
Sorry haven't been updating, a series of unfortunate events occured. But good news as well!!

It would appear that the freezing problem was a battery issue. Actually the car kept dying afterwards and I took it to the dealership . Here's the funny part! Went to pick up my car and they said nothing was wrong (I already had a battery replacement about 6 months ago) and that they tested every bit of tech to see what was sapping the battery and found nothing (they had my car for 3 full days). So they couldn't replace under warranty. Went to start my car and its dead!! LOL, service manager came out and said "Just replace the battery, it shouldn't die after being charged all night" (Battery tester said good condition).

Now, it seems like the freezing issue is gone with the new battery.

Hopefully, they find a solution to the windows up now!
Old 06-24-2011, 11:46 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lier200a

Now, it seems like the freezing issue is gone with the new battery.

Hopefully, they find a solution to the windows up now!
Opening and closing the roof with FOB will kill your battery in 6-12 months.. and you will be back to dealer... again
Old 06-25-2011, 11:44 AM
Shane D
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cvipgo
Opening and closing the roof with FOB will kill your battery in 6-12 months.. and you will be back to dealer... again
I would agree, depending on your usage.
If you are regularly closing the roof AFTER the car is turned off and then you are regularly opening it BEFORE the car is turned on, common sense has to tell you that is really hard on the system.

Shane D
Old 06-25-2011, 04:06 PM
stevelam

Originally Posted by Shane D
I would agree, depending on your usage.
If you are regularly closing the roof AFTER the car is turned off and then you are regularly opening it BEFORE the car is turned on, common sense has to tell you that is really hard on the system.

Shane D
the car lets u open the top with the lock button while the car is off from the factory so it cant be incredibly all that bad. my dads Mercedes SL55 AMG opens and closes with the fob and hes had no issues with the battery yet. maybe theres an extra battery hiding somewhere in the trunk?
Old 06-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Arrow

Originally Posted by stevelam
the car lets u open the top with the lock button while the car is off from the factory so it cant be incredibly all that bad. my dads Mercedes SL55 AMG opens and closes with the fob and hes had no issues with the battery yet. maybe theres an extra battery hiding somewhere in the trunk?
I think it will depend on the usage. In my case it will likely never be a problem. My car goes in the garage every night. When I am pulling out in the morning, I will hit the button on my console (but NOT have to hold it down!), to drop the roof. When arriving at work or home, I will again use the console button to raise the roof as I back into my spot/ my garage. I will use the key fob in good weather (RARE sight here this summer!), when I am leaving work or a business. I don't expect to EVER have have any battery problems.

However if you get in the habit of using the FOB to raise your top at night after the car is off that takes some work for the battery. If you then use the FOB the next morning to drop your top before starting your car that HAS to be hard on the system, right?
I think two full "cycles" with no juice would be hard on the gear. And if that is done on a daily/almost daily basis it would have to damage at least the battery.

As in everything, moderation will be the key!

Shane D
Old 06-25-2011, 10:52 PM
cvipgo
Banned

I think it will depend on the usage. In my case it will likely never be a problem. My car goes in the garage every night. When I am pulling out in the morning, I will hit the button on my console (but NOT have to hold it down!), to drop the roof. When arriving at work or home, I will again use the console button to raise the roof as I back into my spot/ my garage. I will use the key fob in good weather (RARE sight here this summer!), when I am leaving work or a business. I don't expect to EVER have have any battery problems.

However if you get in the habit of using the FOB to raise your top at night after the car is off that takes some work for the battery. If you then use the FOB the next morning to drop your top before starting your car that HAS to be hard on the system, right?
I think two full "cycles" with no juice would be hard on the gear. And if that is done on a daily/almost daily basis it would have to damage at least the battery.

As in everything, moderation will be the key!

Shane D
Very true....
"When I am pulling out in the morning, I will hit the button on my console (but NOT have to hold it down!), to drop the roof. When arriving at work or home, I will again use the console button to raise the roof as I back into my spot/ my garage."

I do the above with my KPT double click roof module .... at a fraction of the "Mid4cars'" module...
Old 06-26-2011, 12:07 AM
Shane D
Premier Member

Originally Posted by cvipgo
Very true....
"When I am pulling out in the morning, I will hit the button on my console (but NOT have to hold it down!), to drop the roof. When arriving at work or home, I will again use the console button to raise the roof as I back into my spot/ my garage."

I do the above with my KPT double click roof module .... at a fraction of the "Mid4cars'" module...
With a fraction of the features. You get what you pay for.

Shane D
Old 06-26-2011, 12:39 AM
cvipgo
Banned

With a fraction of the features. You get what you pay for.

Shane D
true,,, but no battery replacement every six months either...
Old 06-26-2011, 05:56 PM
lier200a

Well, I did have battery issues before the module install (Dealership couldn't prove it for warranty). I am happy with the module now (exception being the windows up) especially being able to drive and operate the top and being able to change from drive to park (and vice versa) without it stopping.

I would usually only use the fob to open since to close, I'm already in the car and I have to stay in the car to close the windows... . lol

Anyways... what do you guys think about a battery maintainer? Like a solar one? Possible solution to help the save the battery life?
Old 07-05-2011, 05:55 PM
jmbladen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lier200a,

I just recently installed the mod4cars module in my 2011 G37S 6MT. I am also unable to close windows with the module and I've also been unable to even initiate a close from the fob. No battery problems and opening with fob works fine.

One interesting side note; it may be my imagination, but top seems to fully open more quickly now. I just timed it today and it took 25sec. I recall the spec is 30sec. Have you noticed any difference?

Overall, I love the functionality so far and I find it worth the cost even if full close is not enabled in a future release. I doubt I'd use the fob close function much anyway. right now I initiate close as I pull into street. Top is closed by the time I get to my garage.

jmb
Old 07-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Question Step 5

Did everybody do step 5? I can't as I seem to have no sensor box or wire coming from the top control unit to feed into said sensor box?

Am I missing something?

Shane D
Old 07-12-2011, 06:30 PM
lier200a

Did everybody do step 5? I can't as I seem to have no sensor box or wire coming from the top control unit to feed into said sensor box?

Am I missing something?

Shane D
Hey Shane,

I didn't have the sensor box either... perhaps 09 models don't have?
Old 07-12-2011, 08:18 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Originally Posted by lier200a
Hey Shane,

I didn't have the sensor box either... perhaps 09 models don't have?
Maybe it was a European thing?

Shane D