Extended Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 02:00 PM
Calgarywinger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended Warranty?

Got a letter from the Dealer offering to extend my warranty from 4yrs/60K (Kms not miles) to 6yrs/100K or, for more money, 6yrs/160K.
The 2 years extension is C$2100 for 100K or C$2400 for 160K.
What are your thoughts or comments on extended warranties?
Do you think the amounts quoted are fair?
I bought an Infiniti instead of the competion, among other reasons, because Infiniti had the best ratings in reliability (according to a number of magazines).

Last edited by Calgarywinger; 09-29-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:20 PM
Jubbliepuff

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
As far as actually BUYING the extended warranty.. I would definitely recommend it.. Our cars are the first generation out on the market, so long term problems are probably unforeseeable right now. With so many working parts just on the retractable roof alone, I'm weary about how it will work a few years down the line.. and it looks like it would be very expensive to fix if anything ever went wrong with it...

As far as pricing, I'm not sure about what a "good deal" is, but any kind of factory warranty should be standard pricing, so I don't think the dealer can rip you off more than any other guy that purchases it? That's just my 2 cents.. Let me know how it turns out, I might ask my dealer for a price estimate as well.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:18 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Calgarywinger
Got a letter from the Dealer offering to extend my warranty from 4yrs/60K (Kms not miles) to 6yrs/100K or, for more money, 6yrs/160K.
The 2 years extension is C$2100 for 100K or C$2400 for 160K.
What are your thoughts or comments on extended warranties?
Do you think the amounts quoted are fair?
I bought an Infiniti instead of the competion, among other reasons, because Infiniti had the best ratings in reliability (according to a number of magazines).
As a first year for this model I suspect that you will likey sell it in a couple of years beacuse the newest ones will be so far improved that you will "need" that model. If however you totally overpaid and now feel the need to have it for a long time - go for it.

If you are gonna keep it forever then get the warranty. I am a serial leaser because I am never happy or satisfied with my cars so personally, I wouldnt get it and unfortunately, I have no experience with warranty pricing but I suspect it is relatively negotiable with your local dealer and there are 3rd party (extended) warranty companies out there.
-B

PS - SWEET RIDE!!
Old 09-30-2009, 02:11 AM
xtrema

Hard to call.

The only thing I would worry about is the roof. Just about everything else is bulletproof. I have a 03 Altima and 7 years and 70K, the only warranty item was a broken plastic tab.

I'm surprise they offer that after the fact instead of pitching when you made your purchase. Also go through the details and make sure it's an Infiniti warranty that is just an extension of your current one. 3rd party tend to have deductibles and tricky clauses.

$2100 to take it 2 year 100K is a bit on the high side but I guess parts from Japan costs more, especially that roof.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Calgarywinger

Well, I checked around and the deal is pretty much standard. Infiniti will let you buy extended warranty any time during the first 4 years, which is better than most other manufacturers.
I agree with Bschurr, right now it's love at first sight...in 3 years who knows? I've never really kept any vehicle all that long, something better always seems to come along, although it's hard to imagine how they could improve on this beauty.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Mike P

I have to agree that if you do not keep you car long enough, then an extended warranty is not beneficial unless it can be transferred.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:46 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

all extended warranties are a profit center for the dealer and generally a waste of your hard earned cash.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:47 PM
Seymour Bush

I'm going to assume you bought yours from Hyatt. As far as I understand, there is a basic grace period/"cooling off" period where they allow you to drive the car before buying an extended warranty and as time goes on, the car gets older and accumulates more kilometers, the price of the warranty increases but you can still purchase the warranty just at an increased price compared to if you purchased it earlier on. At least, this is the way I interpreted what they were telling me. Maybe, I was just too giddy to get into my coupe and just "yessed" them and signed the paperwork so I could takeoff and let’r loose.

I agree with what has been said about being the first generation convertible so I'd be weary. I didn't opt for the extended warranty on my '09 G37x coupe and I hope I didn't make a mistake. Like the others said, if you're not keeping the car for a long time, there's no point as it won't be your problem to deal with. I guess it all comes down to if you want to gamble. Sometimes you win some, sometimes you lose some.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:46 PM
xtrema

BTW Winger, I see that you got the wind blocker, does that really help on highways?
Old 10-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Calgarywinger

I drove without the wind blocker for the first month then bought it. There is definitely a difference in the turbulence behind the seats. Without it, anything light or that can flap on the back seat will do so. With it, things stay nice and calm. As for wind noise, without the deflector it gets pretty noisy in the cabin, to the point where you really have to crank the tunes to hear them, with the deflector in place the wind noise is reduced and if you also play with the windows (rear up, front down or front up and rear down) you can control turbulence and noise. The bad point of the deflector is that the upright part will slam down, giving me a heart attack, if I'm driving above 120 or if the good old Southern Alberta wind is blowing hard. The latching system to hold the upright deflector is pretty Mickey Mouse and will not hold if there's too much pressure on the net. I highly recommend using the deflector for keeping luggage, cameras, bags, hats, etc. nice and cosy on the back seats.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:44 PM
xtrema

^ Thanks. I was wondering how sturdy it is and that answers it. I was planning to mount DSLR in the back seat to do some time lapse photography with top down but I guess I need to brace it before that can happen.