27.61%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Infiniti G37 Convertible vs. Lexus IS250C/IS350C

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 10:47 PM
bruddahmanmatt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poll: Infiniti G37 Convertible vs. Lexus IS250C/IS350C

With all this negative talk towards the recently revealed G37 Convertible, I just had to bring this up. Frankly I'm amazed at how negatively current G owners have reacted to the styling of the new G37 Convertible. There seems to be a lot of negativity directed towards the styling of the car with the top up. Well first off, convertibles almost never look good with the top up. The ones that do deserve some serious credit as it's a real challenge to design a car that looks just as good with the top up as it does down. IMO the G Convertible doesn't look as good as its Coupe counterpart with the top up, but it's a hell of a lot better than the competition. Especially the recently introduced competition from Lexus, the IS250C/IS350C.

As I said, roof up, it's not as good looking as the fixed roof Coupe, but the B-Pillarless roof lends a very sexy and airy look to the car IMO. Yes the car does exude some "Sebringness" from the rear 3/4 view, but the tailights are a huge improvement over the 6th gen Maximaish units on the Coupe IMO. I'm sure someone out there is already trying to figure out how to do a G37 Convertible Tailight conversion on a Coupe. The lack of wraparound tails on the Coupe was one of the biggest complaints when the car first went on sale in late '07 and Infiniti remedied this on the Convertible. All in all I think Infiniti did a wonderful job with regards to the design of the convertible considering this is their first chop top since the M30 of a decade and a half ago.

Lexus on the other hand. I've always been fond of the 2nd gen IS's design and thought it was a large improvement over that of the 1st gen. Even the garish IS-F IMO is a pretty good looking car. But the IS250C is a big FAIL in the design department if you ask me. I do not think the IS translates well into a convertible and while it's better looking than the SC430 (what car isn't?), I definitely think it's outdone by the G37 Convertible in the looks department. To me, the G37's curves translate into a much better design when the roof is chopped off than do the IS's knife edged styling cues. To those criticizing the looks of the G37 and making jokes about how Lexus would be calling today a "good day." I think it's Infiniti who will be having the last laugh as IMO, the G37 handily outdoes the IS-C in the looks department both top up, and top down.

If you ask me, the reason for the G37 Coupe's porky 3700+ lbs. curb weight was because the G37 was engineered as a convertible from the get go. This IMO is the reason the design translated so well when the roof was removed. The IS Convertible on the other hand looks like the roof job was an afterthought with the demise of the SC430 on the horizon leaving an opening for a convertible in the Lexus lineup.

In any case, I'm curious and am interested to know which design you folks prefer. That of the G37 Convertible, or the Lexus IS250C? Vote away.

G37 Convertible Images Here: http://www.autoblog.com/photos/x2009...7-convertible/

And Live Images Here: http://www.autoblog.com/photos/la-20...7-convertible/

Lexus IS250C Images Here: http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2009-lexus-is250c-1/

And Live Images Here: http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2009-lexus-is250c/

Old 11-19-2008, 10:56 PM
Dominican_Capt
Registered Member

it will come with 6MT and a Sport package for the 7AT. Plus it looks way better then the IS Conv. G37 Conv all the way in this matchup.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:00 PM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wasent aware that g37 vert came with sport, looks much better with sport..

get the 37, if not 350. NO 250 please
Old 11-20-2008, 05:26 PM
w0ady

both kill the looks of nice cars.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:10 AM
fpenna2

Why there are 2 differents bumps styles on the G37 Convert photos showed. It depends on the package? The blue one has one front bump style with 3 air entrances, like the "old" 08 G37s, but the silver picture(LA show) has another style with 2 front entrances?
Which one will be produced? both?
On infiniti website, I only see the silver choice...looks strange?
Old 11-21-2008, 11:10 AM
soldier9599
Registered Member

I've always found all Toyotas and Lexuses as really hideous, some of their newer cars are a slight improvement but still ugly; the IS and IS vert are no exception. The G vert is a bit disappointing after seeing the coupe every day, but it's still a pretty car.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:15 AM
soldier9599
Registered Member

Originally Posted by fpenna2
Why there are 2 differents bumps styles on the G37 Convert photos showed. It depends on the package? The blue one has one front bump style with 3 air entrances, like the "old" 08 G37s, but the silver picture(LA show) has another style with 2 front entrances?
Um, are you aware of the difference between the sport and regular model of the coupe? The verts have the same exact fronts as the coupes, the silver is standard and the blue one is the sport model.

Strangely, however, the Silver non-sport one has the sport wheels.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:42 PM
bruddahmanmatt

Originally Posted by soldier9599
Um, are you aware of the difference between the sport and regular model of the coupe? The verts have the same exact fronts as the coupes, the silver is standard and the blue one is the sport model.

Strangely, however, the Silver non-sport one has the sport wheels.
You can order a non-Sport with the 19" Sport wheel and tire package.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:50 PM
Heat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fpenna2
The G37S in not old yet. The year is not over yet. They are still made the exact same way throught the 08's too.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:16 PM
vibrant_red_G37

The IS vert looks like the old Camry vert, which in my humble opinon was an ugly, but affordable car. Now Toyota/Lexus have an ugly expensive car. Replacing the "T" with a "L" is not going to cut it guys. No thanks!
Old 11-21-2008, 04:58 PM
GiGGaplease

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get the g37c, looks much better than the plain ugly IS.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:04 PM
nogoodname
Banned

so where's the info on the IS coupe then.

how can they have a 4 door sedan and then jump to a 2 door convertible without having a 2 door coupe.

what is the only 4 door convertible??, and dont google it. it just ruins the fun
Old 11-21-2008, 05:44 PM
w0ady

lexus could be releasing an is coupe next...
Old 11-21-2008, 06:35 PM
Dominican_Capt
Registered Member

1961 Lincoln Continental. kennedy got shot in one.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:34 PM
ParkStr8

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just left the LA Auto show and our G's are much nicer in person than the Lexus. The Lexus just reminds me of a Toyota Solara. Also...if you look at the pics (as I noticed on the car itself) there is a piece of trim from the edge of the door back that just stops. When the top is down it just looks unfinished and wrong.

At least our designers made the G complete and finished in both top positions.

If I had to have a 2+2 coupe the G37S has my money.While it does not make me want to go buy one ( I have an 08 G35S)...as a vert goes it's really well done.

Whne i'm out of my S, i'll be in either the G37S coupe or a 370Z.

my .02

-s-

Quick Reply: Poll: Infiniti G37 Convertible vs. Lexus IS250C/IS350C