Future Models Questions, requests, info on Future Infiniti/Nissan Models

How much would you pay for a stock 420HP G?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 09:38 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Coupe Daddy
If you're lost that makes me lost too. I agree with you 100%. Plus, Infiniti Does have a halo car that trumps the M3, RS6 and C63. They call it the Nissan GTR and it is a Corvette and Porsche killer. IMO I think it is not wise to compete with the M3. Mercedes tried and failed (C63). Audi tried and failed (RS6). And poor Lexus made the IS uglier and slapped a bigger engine in it and called it the IS-F; and failed. Don't get me wrong. These cars are all very worthy but are incapable of snatching the throne from the M3. I think if Infiniti made an attempt to enter this competition it would be closer to the IS-F than the M3 and that is how the critics would see it. Just imagine a G (sedan) with bulging fender flares, air vents where there were none before, a ground effects kit and fancy exhaust tips... That sounds good actually but it would be just another IS-F.
I am not sure what your reasoning is? Competing with BMW is what Infiniti does. It's their role model and who they copied, much as Lexus copied MB.
The G goes against the 3, right to 'vert models. The M goes right against the 5 models and the M56 will go against the M5 (Of course it will have less power, but a lot lower price). I guess the Q45 was supposed to chase the 7 series, but that was a failure.
The only car they are not challenging is the M3 and I don't see why not, unless it is just too small a market.

The GTR is in a WHOLE different category. Prices start at $98,000.00 in Canada!! That is Porsche territory.

Shane D

PS: I actually do agree that we don't need this much power.
I have already been stopped once and I suspect that won't be the last time.
However I would buy a "budget supercar" like a G37TT or G56S rather than leasing cars as I do now. Before the collapse of 2009 I was looking to buy myself a toy. It was going to be a 996 Porsche Turbo (2001-2005). These are 420hp with AWD. Right now that would cost me a minimum of $50K (in Canadian money), and probably more, for a roughly 7 yr old model. And it could go much higher for low mileage vehicles.
A G37TT or a G56S for $65K Canadian, with a factory warranty, would be awesome!
Old 02-06-2010, 10:11 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shane D
The M goes right against the 5 models and the M56 will go against the M5 (Of course it will have less power, but a lot lower price). I guess the Q45 was supposed to chase the 7 series, but that was a failure.
The only car they are not challenging is the M3 and I don't see why not, unless it is just too small a market.
No, the M56 goes against the 550, the M37 goes against the 535. The M and AMG cars are in a whole other category.

The M and AMG cars have a long history of racing behind them and are about more than just sheer horsepower. Look at the IS-F. It's not doing very well and Lexus is holding off expanding the F line to other cars.

Maybe one day in the future Infiniti will be able to build a car like a M or AMG but right now they are just too small sales volume to make and financial sense for them.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Smile

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
No, the M56 goes against the 550, the M37 goes against the 535.
Very true. My bad.

The M and AMG cars are in a whole other category.

The M and AMG cars have a long history of racing behind them and are about more than just sheer horsepower. Look at the IS-F. It's not doing very well and Lexus is holding off expanding the F line to other cars.

Maybe one day in the future Infiniti will be able to build a car like a M or AMG but right now they are just too small sales volume to make and financial sense for them.
I don't know. If they are dropping this motor into the M's why not the G? I think it would be very competitive with the M, minus all the status/prestige. But that is true of all Infinitis.

Shane D
Old 02-06-2010, 10:34 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

I think it would be very competitive with the M, minus all the status/prestige. But that is true of all Infinitis.
But that is exactly the reason why people buy Ms and AMGs. Look at the IS-F, Lexus has more prestige than Infiniti but it still can't compete against the M3 or C63 AMG. Look at the Cadillac CTS-V. It's priced to go against the M3 and C63 AMG but has the horsepower to go up against the M5 and E63. GM can afford to do this becuase it's (or was) a huge company but the AMGs and Ms still outsell it.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:47 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Smile

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
But that is exactly the reason why people buy Ms and AMGs. Look at the IS-F, Lexus has more prestige than Infiniti but it still can't compete against the M3 or C63 AMG. Look at the Cadillac CTS-V. It's priced to go against the M3 and C63 AMG but has the horsepower to go up against the M5 and E63. GM can afford to do this becuase it's (or was) a huge company but the AMGs and Ms still outsell it.
And I am sure that BMW far outsells Infiniti world wide. Doesn't mean they should stop trying. I know a lot of customers come into my store with stripper BMW's rather buying an Infiniti. Doesn't change my opinion.
I think it would sell well, in a niche category kind of way. Much like M's and AMG's, but of course in smaller numbers.
IF they could do it for 65K Canadian or less, I would look hard at it. A lot of G and M owners started out as potential BMW owners. I know I did.

Shane D
Old 02-07-2010, 10:09 AM
Coupe Daddy

I am not sure what your reasoning is? Competing with BMW is what Infiniti does. It's their role model and who they copied, much as Lexus copied MB.
The G goes against the 3, right to 'vert models. The M goes right against the 5 models and the M56 will go against the M5 (Of course it will have less power, but a lot lower price). I guess the Q45 was supposed to chase the 7 series, but that was a failure.

The GTR is in a WHOLE different category. Prices start at $98,000.00 in Canada!! That is Porsche territory.

Shane D
I actually think you agree too Shane btw, I typed "RS6" and really meant "RS4"
Old 02-07-2010, 11:13 AM
whiddles
Registered Member

I heard that Infiniti was coming out with a 4 cyclinder TT G. It had specs of 290Hp or something. It was at a Concept Car Show. I thought to myself it would be a bust. Infiniti is looking into doing this but they want to be eco friendly..... I think it needs more power as well.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:22 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DashKid
And knowing that Infiniti thinks most of it's buyers are in there 30's or 40's they probably won't turbo charged the G. =(.
Us old folks like to go fast too.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:42 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by whiddles
I heard that Infiniti was coming out with a 4 cyclinder TT G. It had specs of 290Hp or something. It was at a Concept Car Show. I thought to myself it would be a bust. Infiniti is looking into doing this but they want to be eco friendly..... I think it needs more power as well.
That was a mistake, they're coming our with a 2.6 L V6 with about 260 HP to compete against the BMW 328.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:47 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

And I am sure that BMW far outsells Infiniti world wide. Doesn't mean they should stop trying. I know a lot of customers come into my store with stripper BMW's rather buying an Infiniti. Doesn't change my opinion.
I think it would sell well, in a niche category kind of way. Much like M's and AMG's, but of course in smaller numbers.
IF they could do it for 65K Canadian or less, I would look hard at it. A lot of G and M owners started out as potential BMW owners. I know I did.

Shane D
Look how log it took Lexus to establish a high performance division. Making these cars is a very expensive process espeically since their low volume. Infiniti really needs to establish itself more before it can even consider doing this. That's why there's no Q yet. Carlos Ghosn said that he agrees that it would "make the brand better" but it needs to be shown it would be profitable and right now they can't show that.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:20 PM
da45king

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They didn't build it for us

This G37 was built for what infiniti deemed the average buyer. They built it for someone 40 years of age, who if not a female themselves, has to get their wife's approval to purchase it. The car turned sweet...in a metrosexual way...(not in the direction of the original G).

Need to redo this this thing
Old 02-07-2010, 02:29 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by da45king
This G37 was built for what infiniti deemed the average buyer. They built it for someone 40 years of age, who if not a female themselves, has to get their wife's approval to purchase it. The car turned sweet...in a metrosexual way...(not in the direction of the original G).

It's they're best selling car and is what's keeping the company going. Why would they want to change that?
Old 02-07-2010, 07:04 PM
Stems

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by da45king

Uhh...what?

See what John said above
Old 02-07-2010, 07:37 PM
crazjayz
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I think infiniti (nissan) can, and should try to compete against the C63/M3/IS-F based on being the low cost leader. Personally, I think a de-tuned VR38DETT putting out around 420-450 hp without AWD would be ideal. I'm guessing it would be around 50k (or $5k less than an M3 sedan and $7.5k less than a C63) with the only optional package being Nav. That would make it around 10-12k less than a similarly equipped M3/C63 and put it in both of their leagues. Nissan/Infiniti definitely have the parts bin to make this possible. If the VR38DETT is "too expensive", since it hand made and whanot, they could just TT the VQ engine, up the suspension and brakes, and put an aggressive body kit on it and call it a day.

Cliffs:
1) There is a market against the M3/RS4/C63
2) Infiniti should enter this market
3) Engine should either be a TT-VQ or the VR38DETT
Old 02-07-2010, 08:26 PM
christian655321

TT VQ ftw, the market for this would narrow so make it optional with the sport package and make sure it has 450+ or dont bother.

Quick Reply: How much would you pay for a stock 420HP G?