Future Models Questions, requests, info on Future Infiniti/Nissan Models

AWD G37...good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 05:15 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
AWD G37...good idea?

I know it will most likely make the car heavier..but i thik if they keep the weight at 3660-ish and play with the power band a bit i think it maybe a fun car. even get the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times down a few tics...as far as handling maybe have a little more power diverted from the rear to stil get a little oversteer on it. i wonder if it would react too stangley if mated with the 4WAS...

just wondering....what are you thoughts of a sportier AWD G37? maybe infiniti/nissan can advertise it as a 'baby GT-R'...maybe up the power a bit, lessen the weight a bit. how would it affect the price?...maybe 5K more than the 6MT sport base?...that would put it right on the 335i's territory, so the infiniti won't have a price advantage any longer...

i dunno, just some random thoughts...
Old 10-20-2007, 05:20 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cvt
I know it will most likely make the car heavier..but i thik if they keep the weight at 3660-ish and play with the power band a bit i think it maybe a fun car. even get the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times down a few tics...as far as handling maybe have a little more power diverted from the rear to stil get a little oversteer on it. i wonder if it would react too stangley if mated with the 4WAS...

just wondering....what are you thoughts of a sportier AWD G37? maybe infiniti/nissan can advertise it as a 'baby GT-R'...maybe up the power a bit, lessen the weight a bit. how would it affect the price?...maybe 5K more than the 6MT sport base?...that would put it right on the 335i's territory, so the infiniti won't have a price advantage any longer...

i dunno, just some random thoughts...
With these kinda mid ship engines classic Nissan Roadsters like the G and 350 should be RWD in my opinion the true racing spirit is caught with RWD, when you are drifting and cornering in a car its the RWD that gives you the unmatched feeling. Good thing about the G is its predictable and safe enough of a ride to give you a manageable RWD experience. While some old guys in Minnesota and Michigan where Im from who just want a better snow driver I could see AWD being a winner - but to capture the true racing spirit and drifter handling long live RWD baby!
Old 10-20-2007, 11:06 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
IMO, I think that if they go with AWD for the G they should give it at least 20 extra HP and include it as a sport option. The combined extra HP and extra grip will perhaps offset the extra weight and may even improve acceleration over teh non AWD...
Most buying this car will be buying AWD for the extra sport advantage moreso than for all weather driving. But one additional thought would be have 2 AWD options. One for the Journey non-sport with all season tires and no extra HP and one for the Journey Sport and 6MT with the 20 extra HP.
A Sport AWD with extra HP would sell like hotcakes.

Last edited by KAHBOOM; 10-20-2007 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:21 AM
Gyoza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always thought AWD hurt acceleration, not helped it.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:34 AM
xzil3d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would be neat to have either AWD like the audi rs4, (most of the power goes to the rear wheels) or to have a 40:60 with the option of 2wd or 4wd. I never understood why most cars aren't given the ability to switch from 4 to 2 and visa versa.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:49 PM
Orbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If they had offered AWD from the beginning, and the extra weight didn't hurt performance, I would have opted for that. The RWD is fine, and with the right tires works well in the winter too. But the added stability of the AWD would have been a selling point for me living in Canada here. I agree with what was said earlier though, the weight would either have to come down somehow or they would need to add more power to compensate for me to buy, this is still a sport luxury coupe afterall.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:44 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Gyoza
I always thought AWD hurt acceleration, not helped it.
In many cases it does hurt acceleration. But if the power to weight ratio is high enough it can help acceleration as many 2 wheel drive cars may lose traction while the AWD gets better grip off the line allowing you to launch it a bit harder than a 2 wheel drive car... so it all depends...