Ruined Rims

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 11:33 AM
WILD121
Florida G35 Club, General Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting the samething happened to me. Its so wierd that two 05 coupes got thier rims scratched on the inside on the same weekend. Im sure the shop will do the right thing and fix the problem.

Im going to have to see if anyone has been on my computer lately.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:36 AM
WILD121

Originally Posted by SFLG35
because the bridgestone tires on an 05 have a treadwear rating of 140!!!!!!!!!!
crapy but true... I wish i would have paid a little closer attention to the tire aspect. oh well Live and learn. The Toyos should hold up pretty good with a 280 tread wear if i dont drive like an A$$.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:06 PM
Gumba35
Charter Member Florida G35 Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G35WIFE
It's on the inside of both rims which you can see depending on how he parks it. Can your guy fix the inside... is the make-up any different than the outside. THANKS.
I haven't used him yet but need to. Demonteverde321 is the best person to ask about his work or you can give Glen a call to see what he says.
Let us know how this plays out.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:37 PM
WILD121

here is the update.... Basicaly the store told me the damage was done when they took off the wieghts from the rim. One of the guys at the store told me that it looked bad and he checked with the manager. He came out and told me that I should sand the inside of the rim with fine grade wet sand paper. So I didnt get much help. The thing I need to know is can I do this? Is the inside of the OEM 19' rims coated like the outside. I think Im going to check with Infiniti. If you want to know the name of the store that did this you can PM me.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:41 PM
djniknala

I know Glen and he does good work. He works alot at Mercedes of Orlando with one of my longtime personal friends. He's a no nonsense straight-forward kind of guy.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:39 PM
Demonteverde

Wow, so the shop didn't even offer to pay to fix the damage? Thats nuts. I would have been screaming bloody murder at the manager and everybody in there. Just say the name of the shop that did this already.

Also, if possible could you post a picture of the damage?

If all else fails you'll have to give Glenn a call, tell him your problem, and see if he can fix it. It may cost you. Just like Alan said you can catch Glen making his rounds at Mercedes of Orlando.

Glen Almeter Wheel Reconditioning, Inc.
Mobile Service Specializing in Repair of Curb-Damaged wheels

Cell: 407-758-6583
Home: 352-357-2216

Old 12-07-2005, 04:38 PM
Gumba35

You have to let us know what shop you dealt with so we can protect ourselves from them. It's not bad mouthing if it's true.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:49 PM
WILD121

It was brought to my attention that there maybe some confusion on where the damage on the wheel is. Damage is from where they took off the old wieghts to balance the tire. They didnt use the padding to protect the wheel while taking off the old wieghts so it looks like a 3 year old scibbled on the inside of my rim. Ill put pictures on as soon as i get some.

So here is the deal my wife took the car to good old Orlando Infiniti to get some other stuff on my car fixed and she had the service manager look at it Steve Johnson. He said it would take $200 per wheel to fix. I didnt think the damage was that bad. My wife then called RZ and spoke with Kieth about the rims and he essentialy said no way that Infiniti is over charging to fix the wheel and that he wants to take my rims to his guy to get it fixed.

IMO I shouldnt let them touch my rims because they screwed it up in the first place. I told kieth that I would get a couple of quotes and take it step by step but we need to resolve this. If I let him use his guy and I dont like the way he fixed them Im out two 19' rims from Infiniti that will cost a bunch of money to get new ones.So we are in the process of dealing with getting the wheels fixed. Should I let him try to fix the wheel using their guy or should I fight to have infiniti do it ( I also have a very close friend in the car industry that can get it done for me at a good price, I think this option is the best). Or I could use the for mentioned Wheel Repair shop.

I know a bunch of people go to RZ and have had a good expierence there thats why I hesitated to say the name of the shop. It is still not resolved by far i just hope they do the right thing and fix the wheels back to the original condition when i brought the wheels in.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:33 AM
98intrigue

So why did they take you weights off???
Old 12-08-2005, 06:16 AM
neffster

DUDE, it's the inside of your wheel. It's not like there is a curb rash or a gouge in your spokes. My PIAA's had the same damn thing from removing the wheel weights, it's like a white crayon that won't come off. I bet you can hardly see it while the car is parked. It's probably something that you'd have to be looking for REALLY HARD to see, right?

Relax, it's just a damn wheel. If you want we can all come over and take a base ball bat, dent the snot out of your hood and all of your worries about your wheel will be over.

BTW, you never read about me complaining how someone at the last meet decided to peel back the corner of my clear bra on my hood. Was I pissed? Heck yeah. Did I dwell on it? Nope. Just a car dude...
Old 12-08-2005, 08:27 AM
Chucky

Originally Posted by neffster
DUDE, it's the inside of your wheel. It's not like there is a curb rash or a gouge in your spokes. My PIAA's had the same damn thing from removing the wheel weights, it's like a white crayon that won't come off. I bet you can hardly see it while the car is parked. It's probably something that you'd have to be looking for REALLY HARD to see, right?

Relax, it's just a damn wheel. If you want we can all come over and take a base ball bat, dent the snot out of your hood and all of your worries about your wheel will be over.

BTW, you never read about me complaining how someone at the last meet decided to peel back the corner of my clear bra on my hood. Was I pissed? Heck yeah. Did I dwell on it? Nope. Just a car dude...
Let's not pass judgement yet on how bad it is or isn't. Trust me, Dan is not the type of guy to make a mountain out of a mole hill. Let's wait until you see his pics.

Old 12-08-2005, 08:59 AM
neffster

have you seen it chuckiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii?
Old 12-08-2005, 03:31 PM
Gilley

Why don't you take the wheels to Glen Altmeter (sp?) and have them fixed at a fair price then take the invoice to RZ. It will be cheaper for them than $200 a wheel and everyone should be happy.

Doesn't brake dust cover it up anyway?
Old 12-08-2005, 04:35 PM
Chucky

Originally Posted by neffster
have you seen it chuckiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii?
No I haven't

Old 12-08-2005, 05:23 PM
ScottR

Same thing happened to me a couple of months ago. I feel your pain! I had no luck getting the shop that did mine to do anything other than offer to do some free oil changes. They used a thick wall socket to remove the lug nuts as well as scuffing the outer edge of the rim while mounting the tires. The crappy part is the owner didn't seem to really give a rip when I confronted him. His shop is right next to my dealership so I have made it a point to tell everybody I know plus customers of mine to NEVER do business with them. In the long run I think that is the best medicine for irresponsible shop owners. Just my .2 Good luck!

Quick Reply: Ruined Rims