MREV2 + Motordyne 5/16"! What a combo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 01:16 PM
Ramon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MREV2 + Motordyne 5/16"! What a combo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had the MREV2 + 5/16" Iso Thermal plenum spacer installed yesterday. WOW!!!!!! What a difference! The gains are very noticeable and the car pulls much harder after 3500RPM. I would highly recommend you do this MOD if you have a Rev up engine!! Believe me… YOU WILL NOT REGRET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PS: I took my car to Performance Factory and they guys over there seemed pretty knowledgeable. They told me that I’m losing HP and torque because of my CAI. They said that our engines work better with the stock intake. He advised me to put my stock intake back and get a K&N drop-in filter. Would you guys agree with that? Please, give me your thoughts. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2007, 01:34 PM
_jb

Originally Posted by Ramon
I took my car to Performance Factory and they guys over there seemed pretty knowledgeable. They told me that I’m losing HP and torque because of my CAI. They said that our engines work better with the stock intake. He advised me to put my stock intake back and get a K&N drop-in filter. Would you guys agree with that? Please, give me your thoughts. Thank you!
+1 Listen to the PF guys...

I see that you have an '06 Coupe. The '06 Coupe is reported to have the best of all the Coupe air boxes. It has a better air inlet than other years. If you don't think this is true, put your old air box up for sale and see how quickly it sells.

Put your stock air box back in and get a Z-Tube and K&N filter and you 'll be good to go.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:38 PM
Hi-Tech_G

I have the Z-tube with the K&N drop in filter and boy what a difference it makes. You even get the cool intake breathing sound.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:39 PM
Ramon

Do I really need to get a Z-tube or should I just get the K&N filter? Is the Z-tube much better than my stock tube?
Old 08-14-2007, 01:40 PM
Hi-Tech_G

The Z-tube is better. Our stock intake tube seems to restrict the air but the Z-tube lets it flow a lot more freely. I noticed a big difference after installing my Z-tube and an even bigger one once I changed the filter.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:43 PM
Ramon

Thank you!
Old 08-14-2007, 01:50 PM
w33ps

Yeah the stock tube has this ridiculous resonator that goes down into the engine bay (you'll see what I mean when you take it out) which just swirls your air around instead of feeding it to the engine! The purpose is to make the engine quieter, something we want no part of!
Old 08-14-2007, 03:31 PM
r10apple

Originally Posted by Ramon
PS: I took my car to Performance Factory and they guys over there seemed pretty knowledgeable. They told me that I’m losing HP and torque because of my CAI. They said that our engines work better with the stock intake. He advised me to put my stock intake back and get a K&N drop-in filter. Would you guys agree with that? Please, give me your thoughts. Thank you!
I had the Motordyne guy look at my dyno after my install (and I have the AEM). Jeremy also tried to tune my car with the UTEC, and my a/f ratio is one of the more bizarre scenarios he has seen. My car does all kinds of crazy things and is unbearably hard to tune as is. The Motordyne guys says that the longer tube CAI creates some sort of problem when combined with hte spacer that actually causes one to lose the power.

I have simply been too lazy to get in my attic to find my stock airbox and get the Z-tube and filter...
Old 08-15-2007, 06:53 AM
Hydrazine
Journeyman

I've tested several of the long tube CAI's on the dyno and they lose power every time.

And its not just with a spacer. They lose about 3+HP no matter what you hook them up to.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:28 PM
Jamaica2G
Florida G35 Club, General Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The question I have is... have you guys tested the stillen intake? It's the same length as factory air box but it uses a cone filter.

Overall area through which air can be inhaled and angulation can cause differences. Any definitive testing complete?

Adrian
Old 08-17-2007, 01:35 AM
Hydrazine
Journeyman

The short tube intakes like the Stillen and Pop Charger make about 2-3 HP.
But be sure to use the supplied heat shield. Its very important to not let your engine breath in hot air from the engine compartment.

hot air decrease power fast. 10-15 HP easily.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:45 AM
battlebuddyP

So let me make sure i get this correct the stillen and/or jwt will be better to use than wat i was going to buy aem?
Old 08-17-2007, 01:48 AM
Cost a G

^^yup I had an aem and it was only good for the sound.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:51 AM
Hydrazine
Journeyman

Yes unfortunatly. The long tube intakes only make sound. That's about it.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:05 AM
battlebuddyP

wow well that saves me a little bit of cash but, the jwt and stillen still make the growl noise right...? and it was gonna look good under the hood but thats not worth it. Ok another question because u guys are on the intake section. the rev up how do you know if ur engine is the rev up im not sure? and i was going to go with the kinetix rather than the spacer because its said to add a pony or 2 wat do you think...?

Quick Reply: MREV2 + Motordyne 5/16"! What a combo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!