Help with Rear Tire Size Question!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 09:19 AM
ron4row2
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help with Rear Tire Size Question!!!

I recently lowered my 04 sedan on Z/Coupe springs and purchased new tires size 245/40/18. The tires in the rear are as wide as the edge of the fender.

I need your help!! Please see my post in the tech forum.

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157699
Old 05-18-2007, 10:50 AM
r10apple

How freakin' low did you go? I have 275 width rear tires, with 350z-h tech springs, and though they are near the fender, I have no rubbing at all. I haven't rolled them, either...

In fact, I am about to go with 285 width rears in a couple of days...

Anyway, do not go with narrower tires. Honestly, the car really needs a hair wider than stock for it's handling, and going narrower makes little sense.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:52 AM
_jb

Originally Posted by ron4row2
I recently lowered my 04 sedan on Z/Coupe springs and purchased new tires size 245/40/18. The tires in the rear are as wide as the edge of the fender.
Here's a chart with all the OEM tire sizes for the G35 Coupe. 245/45/18 is the standard tire for the G35 Coupe with 18" wheels.

What size tires did your G come with? In your other thread, you mention 45 series tires. I'm not sure which tires you actually have.

Did you change wheels too? Hard to believe that different tires made that much of a difference.

Pictures might help too.

Sorry for the questions, it's hard for me to tell what's really going on from your description.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:03 AM
VQ Hotness

do you have factory rims ??
Old 05-18-2007, 12:22 PM
ron4row2
Registered Member

I orginally had non sport suspension with 17's. I added sedan sport suspension and Z/Coupe springs for the drop. I purchased a set of 04 coupe 18" wheels. Then I put on the 245/40/18 tires.

Is it the different offset from the coupe wheels that's pushing them out? Is so, how can I fix that?
Old 05-18-2007, 12:35 PM
r10apple

Honestly, you don't sound too low or out of spec...I'd have to really see it, but sounds like no biggie...
Old 05-18-2007, 12:58 PM
Marshall2K

I'm prepairing to buy 255/45/18 Toyo Proxies T1-R for my factory 18" rears.

Does anyone advise against this?

I'm looking for slightly more traction from a dig.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:59 PM
ron4row2
Registered Member

The big problem is that I have a sedan. I'm not too far out of spec with alingment, but purchased the SPC kit front & rear to protect against tire wear. It just looks like it sticks out at the bottom of the wheel well. From the side it looks great, but from the back & front it sticks out of the bottom. I'll get some pics today and post so you can see exactly what I'm talking about.

Last edited by ron4row2; 05-18-2007 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:22 PM
r10apple

The big problem is that I have a sedan. I'm not too far out of spec with alingment, but purchased the SPC kit front & rear to protect against tire wear. It just looks like it sticks out at the bottom of the wheel well. From the side it looks great, but from the back & front it sticks out of the bottom. I'll get some pics today and post so you can see exactly what I'm talking about.
Yeah, pics would help us a;;...
Old 05-18-2007, 02:39 PM
ron4row2
Registered Member

I took some pics with my cell phone and I'm trying to upload them now. I did stop by the tire shop and we looked at everything. It's the wheels that are pushed nearly to the edge of the fender with the coupe wheel's 30mm offset. So no matter what size tire I put on there it wouldn't change anything.

I will post pics soon!!

Can I have a machine shop shave it down some to give me a 33mm or 34mm offset?
Old 05-18-2007, 02:45 PM
_jb

A thousand pardons... I didn't realize you have a Sedan... You posted it in your first message, but it just blew by me... sorry.

The Sedan does require much more offset than the Coupe. If you look in the chart I posted above, you'll see that the OEM rear offset for a Coupe with 18" wheels is 30mm, while the OEM Sedan rear offset is 45mm. That means the Coupe rear wheels you put on are 15mm, or over 9/16 of an inch, further to the outside of the fenders/quarter panels.

I hate to say it, but if you don't like the offset you have with the Coupe wheels, you might have to trade them in for something else. There is a lot involved in changing wheels and tires, especially on a Sedan.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:07 PM
r10apple

Originally Posted by _jb
The Sedan does require much more offset than the Coupe. If you look in the chart I posted above, you'll see that the OEM rear offset for a Coupe with 18" wheels is 30mm, while the OEM Sedan rear offset is 45mm. That means the Coupe rear wheels you put on are 15mm, or over 9/16 of an inch, further to the outside of the fenders/quarter panels.

I hate to say it, but if you don't like the offset you have with the Coupe wheels, you might have to trade them in for something else. There is a lot involved in changing wheels and tires, especially on a Sedan.
Don't shave your wheels or attempt to alter the offset. You can easily mess up the integrity of the wheel, and someone who is qualified enough to do that will probably charge you more than what new wheels would cost you.

I completely glossed over the fact you bought COUPE wheels for the SEDAN-not just springs. If you want to keep them, yeah, looks like you may need to roll your fenders...
Old 05-18-2007, 03:09 PM
ron4row2
Registered Member

Here are the pics I've been promising. Sorry for the low quality, I used my cell phone.

From behind rear drivers side

Car from the side

Rear drivers tire

From the front
Old 05-18-2007, 03:11 PM
Gdup35sedan
'1G2BNVD'

i dont understand how you have a problem with that... it looks good to me
-GP-
Old 05-18-2007, 03:22 PM
ron4row2
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Gdup35sedan
i dont understand how you have a problem with that... it looks good to me
-GP-
I could be over reacting. I just didn't inform myself enough about the offset difference between the coupe and sedan wheels. I definately like it better than stock. Do you think that I will really need to roll my fenders?

Quick Reply: Help with Rear Tire Size Question!!!