Oil Pan Spacer - Rev Up

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 11:28 AM
keib

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Oil Pan Spacer - Rev Up

Installed an oil pan spacer by JW Tech this weekend.

Very simple install, but ran into a problem.

The '06 has a baffle/plate that fits beneath the oil pan. Presumably to stiffen the front section. When the extension is added to the pickup, the agle doesn't allow for proper fitment of this baffle/plate. I spoke with a Grubbs Tech and Jeremy (audiblemayhem) and they confirmed that non rev ups lacked the plate. I suppose JWT didn't test out the spacer on the revups.

I wound up inverting the plate...allowed me to put 2 of the 4 screws in and hope it will be fine. An easier fix would be to do a small cutout on the plate to allow more room for the pickup, but I was without the needed tools. There's not much to the plate...hopefully JWT will just include one with the kit.

Aside from the plate issue, and the tedious removal of the sealant, install was a no brainer. No pics, as I was only expecting to do an oil change and slap in the spacer...sorry.

Jeremy said that his buddy had continuous issues with leaking...so much so that he resorted to removing the spacer. Very few miles thus far..and no hard driving yet, but my seal is sound.

Best seat of the pants mod out there!...no...no gains, but I'm less likely to **** myself for want of oil.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:13 PM
Gilley
Florida G35 Club, General Member

Just remember to tell anyone that changes the oil to add an extra quart. And you won't have a collection of single quart bottles left over fron buying a case of 6.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:26 PM
_jb

I read through the Service Manual and see that the oil pump runs off the front of the crankshaft in a VQ35. I can't tell how the oil gets from the oil pan into the oil pump.

It looks like the oil just flows into the oil pump without any kind of a pickup, but I can't believe that that's the way it really works. That would seem to create way too much hp-robbing windage in the crankshaft.

I'm used to engines like the SBC where an oil pickup runs from the oil pump down into the oil pan. If you deepen the oil pan, you need to extend the oil pump with a spacer. I don't see how this works on a VQ35. What am I missing?
Old 10-16-2006, 08:00 PM
Audible Mayhem
Performance Factory

no there is an oil pickup that has an extension with the spacer to lower it the same amount as the spacer....
Old 10-17-2006, 01:29 PM
_jb

Originally Posted by audiblemayhem
no there is an oil pickup that has an extension with the spacer to lower it the same amount as the spacer....
That makes sense.

Why do people add an extra quart of oil when they lower the pan with a spacer and an extension?

We used to lower the sump portion of our oil pans, but we kept the same quantity of oil. The plan was to keep the oil from splashing up on the spinning crankshaft and rods and robbing power. I used to use scrapers, baffles, and screens to collect the oil and direct it away fron the engine internals and back into the pan (poor man's dry sump).

Haven't heard from you in a while. How's the Z coming along?
Old 10-18-2006, 03:11 PM
QuadCam

i put the aam spacer on my revup. aam's instructions talk about the extra plate for the revup. they say you can reverse it and use 2 screws to hold (as you did ) or just remove it totally.
I chose to remove it totally. I didn't like the idea of only using 2 screws to hold it in place....not the most secure plan! Pun intended!

youa er right about the gasket removal......SUX. I gave it to my wife. she used some sort of cutical cleaner to scrape it all out of the channel! sometimes, it takes an outside source to figure out the right tool.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:22 AM
keib

[QUOTE=QuadCam]I chose to remove it totally. I didn't like the idea of only using 2 screws to hold it in place....not the most secure plan! [QUOTE]

I'm not much of a "car guy" mechanically, but figure the plate was added to stiffen it up. Rather try to run with a couple screws than maybe risk cracks in the pan down the road.

and....I need a woman like yours!
Old 10-19-2006, 11:18 PM
QuadCam

She puts up with my car addiction.

My turbo install (in our garage) did test her patience. I had to borrow her car for a couple days.....but she got to rent a Chrysler Crossfire. Got to keep the ladies happy!!!
Old 10-20-2006, 07:17 AM
Audible Mayhem
Performance Factory

hey mike, i figured that had to be only on the rev up engines, just chalk it up to weight reduction, thats what i do with any extra bolts or pieces that dont go back in right!!! hehe just kidding, have to make sure everyone knows i am kidding.

my girl loves my car addiction, i am lucky, she also can push the brake pedal down why i bleed the brakes!! im going to have her welding my backhalf in here soon...
Old 10-20-2006, 06:52 PM
QuadCam

Originally Posted by audiblemayhem
im going to have her welding my backhalf...
I didn't know you were into that kinky stuff!