Engine, Intake and Exhaust Subforum dedicated to breather or engine mods (intakes, exhaust, pulleys, N/A mods etc.)

Review Tunerz store Mishimoto intakes/ Afe Filters

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 10:51 AM
WhiteG_6MT

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Glover998
I think HPS tubes with K&N Drop in's will give you a better result !
not bashing in ur setup tho..
Just installed a set of HPS post-MAF tubes and K&N filters, after doing a lot of research here and on the 370Z forums. My car was 100% stock prior to this install.

The installation was painless for me; removed engine cover, loosened clamps and removed stock tubes. The HPS tubes fit with no modifications in my case. Install took less than 30 minutes including filters. I disconnected the battery during the install so the ECU would reset.

Review:
  1. After the ECU relearned (about 50 miles), I found a noticeable improvement in throttle response and power below 4000 rpm. The intake sound is more noticeable now as well -- more so as the throttle opening increases. At idle I can't discern any difference.
  2. Drive-ability is much better. That little bit of torque and throttle response gained makes driving the car smoothly MUCH easier.
  3. And, since I drive the same route everyday, I have several hills and corners that I have bench-marked prior to this upgrade. Now the car, under light throttle in 4th gear, will reach a speed of 55 mph out of square corner in 100 ft less than before (there is a telephone pole that I use as a marker). This is repeatable. Also, I note that I can now pull 6th gear up the steepest hill on my commute at less throttle opening than was required with the stock setup -- very noticeable gain here.
  4. Finally, my general feeling is that I don't need to apply as much throttle compared to stock to attain the same level of acceleration off the line, or holding speed up large inclines.
Summary: if you're totally stock now, and want a nice improvement in drive-ability (torque and throttle response), then this mod is excellent bang for the buck. To me, when analyzing the factory intake vs the aftermarket CAIs, the biggest restriction IMO (other than the accordion tubes), is the size of the intake hole in the factory boxes. The open element air filters typically used in CAI systems have a much greater surface area for air to enter the engine.

The factory air boxes could be modified to allow for more air to enter the filter. I'm working in that direction as my 'mod budget' is practically nil. I know that working over the air box on my Altima 3.5SE definitely cut my 1/4 mile ET and added to my trap speeds and made the car more drive-able, much as this mod has done for my G. (have not put the G through the timing lights yet but have found a local 1/8th mile track).

The 370 forums worked this topic to death: CAI vs modded stock system. Dyno runs from the 370 Z owners show decent gains from the post MAF tube/hi flow filter combo (20-ish hp/10-ish TQ) on 370z's with no other modifications.

My butt dyno and bench-marked commute verifies this.

Next stop: more exhaust flow and a little more noise.

FWIW I'm all about demonstrable improvements in performance (ET, Trap Speed, cornering feel, MPG) with minimal $$ inputs. Cosmetic mods are not on my radar generally speaking. I like sleepers.

And IME, Nissan seems to design their cars with intentional bottlenecks that the analytical owner can improve for significant and documented performance gains at little or no cost.

The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteG_6MT:
Adam West (06-06-2014), Glover998 (06-06-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 04:17 PM
Glover998

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by WhiteG_6MT
Just installed a set of HPS post-MAF tubes and K&N filters, after doing a lot of research here and on the 370Z forums. My car was 100% stock prior to this install.

The installation was painless for me; removed engine cover, loosened clamps and removed stock tubes. The HPS tubes fit with no modifications in my case. Install took less than 30 minutes including filters. I disconnected the battery during the install so the ECU would reset.

Review:
  1. After the ECU relearned (about 50 miles), I found a noticeable improvement in throttle response and power below 4000 rpm. The intake sound is more noticeable now as well -- more so as the throttle opening increases. At idle I can't discern any difference.
  2. Drive-ability is much better. That little bit of torque and throttle response gained makes driving the car smoothly MUCH easier.
  3. And, since I drive the same route everyday, I have several hills and corners that I have bench-marked prior to this upgrade. Now the car, under light throttle in 4th gear, will reach a speed of 55 mph out of square corner in 100 ft less than before (there is a telephone pole that I use as a marker). This is repeatable. Also, I note that I can now pull 6th gear up the steepest hill on my commute at less throttle opening than was required with the stock setup -- very noticeable gain here.
  4. Finally, my general feeling is that I don't need to apply as much throttle compared to stock to attain the same level of acceleration off the line, or holding speed up large inclines.
Summary: if you're totally stock now, and want a nice improvement in drive-ability (torque and throttle response), then this mod is excellent bang for the buck. To me, when analyzing the factory intake vs the aftermarket CAIs, the biggest restriction IMO (other than the accordion tubes), is the size of the intake hole in the factory boxes. The open element air filters typically used in CAI systems have a much greater surface area for air to enter the engine.

The factory air boxes could be modified to allow for more air to enter the filter. I'm working in that direction as my 'mod budget' is practically nil. I know that working over the air box on my Altima 3.5SE definitely cut my 1/4 mile ET and added to my trap speeds and made the car more drive-able, much as this mod has done for my G. (have not put the G through the timing lights yet but have found a local 1/8th mile track).

The 370 forums worked this topic to death: CAI vs modded stock system. Dyno runs from the 370 Z owners show decent gains from the post MAF tube/hi flow filter combo (20-ish hp/10-ish TQ) on 370z's with no other modifications.

My butt dyno and bench-marked commute verifies this.

Next stop: more exhaust flow and a little more noise.

FWIW I'm all about demonstrable improvements in performance (ET, Trap Speed, cornering feel, MPG) with minimal $$ inputs. Cosmetic mods are not on my radar generally speaking. I like sleepers.

And IME, Nissan seems to design their cars with intentional bottlenecks that the analytical owner can improve for significant and documented performance gains at little or no cost.

you shud of have posted new thread for this man lol ,, thx a lot .. just like i thought, another HPS happy guy ..