Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Transmission Fluid in Engine Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2024, 05:57 PM
AScobi64
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Transmission Fluid in Engine Oil?

This is going to be a wordy post.

About a month ago my water pump started weeping. I brought it to a shop and had the water pump, timing chain, gallery, gaskets, etc done. Cost me about $2k USD. Pretty fair. The day I picked it up and drove home, it started shifting really poorly. I limped it the last 5 minutes home and it was spewing coolant from the engine bay. So I had it towed back to the shop. They said it was a blown tranny line. They fixed it, did a coolant flush and a tranny drain and fill. All has been good until Saturday. I have taken it on quite long drives as I travel for work sometimes.

Saturday I drove on the freeway for about 1.5 hours and all the sudden there was a loss of power and it wouldn't shift right. I thought, great another blown tranny line? Nope. I pulled off and put in park, the idle was all over the place accompanied by a not so good metallic sound. Then THUNK! It shuts off. Had it towed the 114 miles back to the shop that did the recent work.

They're telling me that they found transmission fluid in my crankcase along with my coolant. And my engine is seized. They know that these cars have a tranny cooler and if it burst inside the radiator that would cause the fluid to mix with the coolant. However they do not know how it could've gotten into my oil. They even suggested foul play, that someone may have put a quart of tranny fluid in my engine because it is almost exactly one quart over filled.

No one, not even me (as far as I know) has touched my car since their shop. And I don't have any enemies. I drive to work and drive home usually. Car stays in my garage and I live in a secluded area with no neighbors.

Any ideas on how tranny fluid could get into my crankcase otherwise?
Old 06-25-2024, 11:55 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 727 Likes on 565 Posts
Originally Posted by AScobi64
This is going to be a wordy post.

About a month ago my water pump started weeping. I brought it to a shop and had the water pump, timing chain, gallery, gaskets, etc done. Cost me about $2k USD. Pretty fair. The day I picked it up and drove home, it started shifting really poorly. I limped it the last 5 minutes home and it was spewing coolant from the engine bay. So I had it towed back to the shop. They said it was a blown tranny line. They fixed it, did a coolant flush and a tranny drain and fill. All has been good until Saturday. I have taken it on quite long drives as I travel for work sometimes.

Saturday I drove on the freeway for about 1.5 hours and all the sudden there was a loss of power and it wouldn't shift right. I thought, great another blown tranny line? Nope. I pulled off and put in park, the idle was all over the place accompanied by a not so good metallic sound. Then THUNK! It shuts off. Had it towed the 114 miles back to the shop that did the recent work.

They're telling me that they found transmission fluid in my crankcase along with my coolant. And my engine is seized. They know that these cars have a tranny cooler and if it burst inside the radiator that would cause the fluid to mix with the coolant. However they do not know how it could've gotten into my oil. They even suggested foul play, that someone may have put a quart of tranny fluid in my engine because it is almost exactly one quart over filled.

No one, not even me (as far as I know) has touched my car since their shop. And I don't have any enemies. I drive to work and drive home usually. Car stays in my garage and I live in a secluded area with no neighbors.

Any ideas on how tranny fluid could get into my crankcase otherwise?
This is a weird one, The only way I can think off doesnt apply to G37 unless it uses an oil cooler on the engine oil. Radiator bursting will cause ATF/Coolant to enter anywhere oil does so usually it's transmission.
Another weird perspective is that Oil and ATF can mix and not separate so it's weird that they were able to obtain an exact quart from the crankcase.

One suspicion is that the engine overheated a part of the block/head from lack of cooling which caused the HG to blow in that area, this then caused this coolant/oil mix to enter in the oil drain side of the block (if it didnt start smoking)

If your car came equipped with an engine oil cooler then that cooler might also be another culprit.
Old 06-26-2024, 10:59 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 472 Likes on 395 Posts
Occam's razor- someone at the shop sabotaged you to get more $.