Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Code P0744 Torque Converter

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2024, 04:26 PM
TheWire
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Code P0744 Torque Converter

2014 Q60 Journey Coupe
Mileage 117,000

In May 2023 I had the Valve Body replaced by the dealer (very painful on the wallet)

The coupe is now throwing P0744 Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid code.
Tried to do a search on the code here, but didn’t see much.

I only have intermittent sluggish shifting in around town, low speed driving, no shuddering or jerking or noise from the automatic transmission. Normal driving at highway speeds.

Any info on have Torque Converter issues and fixes is appreciated, as the dealer looks very pricey
Print out from O'Reilys Auto Parts below

Old 02-12-2024, 05:05 PM
beefychicken
Premier Member

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Not sure if this helps, but here is an excerpt for that code from the FSM
The following users liked this post:
TheWire (02-18-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 01:33 PM
TheWire
Registered Member

follow up

My 2014 Infiniti Q60 has a P0744 trouble code for at least the past 3 months. The transmission functions normally at highway speeds and during hard acceleration. Cruise control also works fine. The only issue I experience is occasional sluggish acceleration in slow, city driving conditions.

The dealership replaced the valve body, ATF, gasket, and drain bolt washer in May 2023. Even after clearing the code, the check engine light returns with the P0744 code. (The car sometimes throws a MAF sensor code, but it clears itself and isn't present currently.)

I talked to my rep at the dealer, he says bring it in for a diagnostic check, after some discussion he adds “talked with my master tech he seems to think that code coming up PO744 usually means to replace the whole transmission he said Infiniti does not change torque converters”

I have found a local transmission shop with good ratings and reviews, $160.00 for their diagnostic. Thinking of bringing it in there.

Does anyone have any experience with this code?

Old 03-05-2024, 04:11 PM
beefychicken
Premier Member

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
No experience other than what was shown in the manual excerpt i posted.
Not sure where the master tech is coming from, but the manual says it could be a torque converter and I am sure somewhere at sometime , someone replaced a TC on an Infiniti and it fixed a problem.
Anyway, just ranting since the dealer changed basically everything except for what the code pointed to.
As for your local trans shop, try stopping in and talking to the counter rep and telling them your story. Ask if they are familiar with or comfortable with working on an infiniti and go from there.
Old 03-05-2024, 05:06 PM
TheWire
Registered Member

Originally Posted by beefychicken
No experience other than what was shown in the manual excerpt i posted.
Not sure where the master tech is coming from, but the manual says it could be a torque converter and I am sure somewhere at sometime , someone replaced a TC on an Infiniti and it fixed a problem.
Anyway, just ranting since the dealer changed basically everything except for what the code pointed to.
As for your local trans shop, try stopping in and talking to the counter rep and telling them your story. Ask if they are familiar with or comfortable with working on an infiniti and go from there.
When the Valve Body was replaced in May 2023 was a different Transmission code and severe trans problem, literally out of nowhere, had the vehicle towed to the dealer. Sorry that may have not been clear.

As far as the dealer, I mentioned all of the possible causes from the service manual in your reply for P0744, and he was adamant that Infinti doesn't repair or replace Torque Converters, they just want to replace the Transmission.
Have an appointment tomorrow with the Transmission shop I found for them to diagnosis, will post outcome.
Old 05-09-2024, 04:59 PM
Moe715
Registered Member

P0744 code right after changed valve body. any advice or help

So same exact thing happened with me, my valve body went bad i changed it about 5 days ago and now I am getting a p0744 code. Car drives fine and I was wondering what ended up happening with your situation because almost identical. 13’ g37x 79k miles.
Old 05-11-2024, 09:28 AM
TheWire
Registered Member

Dealer said they don't repair or replace anything to do with the Torque Converter, their suggestion, New Transmission, said it was "unrelated" to Valve Body going bad.

Took it to the most reputable transmission shop in my area for a full diagnostic test.
This was there conclusion:"Customer concern with P0744 torque converter clutch fault code has been verified. The code initially was found as a past status meaning it was history code. After clearing the code, shortly into the road test, the P0744 fault code did reset and a screen capture shows that it was now listed as current or active.

The additional screenshot shows data capture during the road test in 7th gear when the clutch is applied. The slip speed should be as close to zero as possible but it is registering anywhere from 300 to 600 RPMs of slip indicating the converter mechanically is unable to perform its job. Unfortunately this does mean internal problems for the transmission.

The transmission fluid temperature raises significantly as the converter continues to slip. This can also result in unusual shifting characteristics like the customer has experienced. The actual converter clutch slip may not even be picked up by someone driving it unless there is a scan to present to monitor the data.

The only corrective action for this will be transmission replacement. This would require programming."

I am still driving on it, both the dealer and shop want close to 9k for a rebuilt transmission, after spending to replace Valve Body, not going to spend that much, just haven't decided what to get next. Love my G and still shifting OK currently.
Not sure why this thread was moved to "Intake and Exhaust"?

Old 05-11-2024, 10:53 PM
Moe715
Registered Member

Thank you for the input I appreciate it!
Old 05-14-2024, 12:28 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 838 Likes on 716 Posts
Originally Posted by TheWire
Dealer said they don't repair or replace anything to do with the Torque Converter, their suggestion, New Transmission, said it was "unrelated" to Valve Body going bad.
Not sure why this thread was moved to "Intake and Exhaust"?
That was probably my fault. Sorry.
The following users liked this post:
TheWire (05-14-2024)