Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Engine coolant flush

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 12:26 PM
rayycashh
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine coolant flush

I just drained my radiator and coolant reservoir tank but still have brown coolant. How do I drain coolant from engine? Or what should I do next? I have 3 codes come up wit check engine light. P010c MAF sensor, p0106 MAP sensor, p1217 thermostat. My car it’s over really overheating as much as it’s losing power and skips or jerks when I press gas to accelerate. I have a picture of what coolant looks like and I’m currently not driving and my car is a 11 G37 Sedan

Old 10-11-2022, 12:48 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,328 Likes on 1,075 Posts
Sorry, man, but that is a classic sign of a blown head gasket. That "brown coolant" is actually motor oil mixing in with the coolant.

Have you checked your engine oil? Is it milky/ brown as well?
Old 10-11-2022, 01:04 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by rayycashh
I just drained my radiator and coolant reservoir tank but still have brown coolant. How do I drain coolant from engine? Or what should I do next? I have 3 codes come up wit check engine light. P010c MAF sensor, p0106 MAP sensor, p1217 thermostat. My car it’s over really overheating as much as it’s losing power and skips or jerks when I press gas to accelerate. I have a picture of what coolant looks like and I’m currently not driving and my car is a 11 G37 Sedan
You have a Maf code that tells the ECU to lean the engine to maintain a proper air fuel mix
You have a Map code which can lean or richen the air fuels
Lastly you developed a thermostat code of overheating due to stuck thermostat prior or post to your overheating issue.

Sadly chocolate shake means engine oil (strawberry shake = transmission oil) has mixed with coolant. If you dont have coolant in your oil it means you blew the seals on the waterpump during the overheat and engine oil is entering the coolant system by the waterpump gaskets.

This repair might end up costing more than an engine replacement.

If your issues were MAF and MAP that lead to the over heat, the donor engine might include these. At worst you'd have spare parts for the next engine.

Trying to fix this engine will be more work, headaches and money than a new one.
The following users liked this post:
ILM-NC G37S (10-11-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 02:50 PM
rayycashh
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Sorry, man, but that is a classic sign of a blown head gasket. That "brown coolant" is actually motor oil mixing in with the coolant.

Have you checked your engine oil? Is it milky/ brown as well?
yes I checked it the oil isn’t milky I just changed it and checked it while doing a radiator drain.
Old 10-11-2022, 03:01 PM
rayycashh
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL
You have a Maf code that tells the ECU to lean the engine to maintain a proper air fuel mix
You have a Map code which can lean or richen the air fuels
Lastly you developed a thermostat code of overheating due to stuck thermostat prior or post to your overheating issue.

Sadly chocolate shake means engine oil (strawberry shake = transmission oil) has mixed with coolant. If you dont have coolant in your oil it means you blew the seals on the waterpump during the overheat and engine oil is entering the coolant system by the waterpump gaskets.

This repair might end up costing more than an engine replacement.

If your issues were MAF and MAP that lead to the over heat, the donor engine might include these. At worst you'd have spare parts for the next engine.

Trying to fix this engine will be more work, headaches and money than a new one.
So getting a new water pump seal would cost more than getting a new engine? How is this? Do you have to take engine apart to replace?
Old 10-11-2022, 03:07 PM
rayycashh
Registered Member

Engine oil isn’t milky
Old 10-11-2022, 03:08 PM
rayycashh
Registered Member

Engine oil isn’t milky

Old 10-11-2022, 03:42 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Reason why a seal might be cheaper than an engine is because the overheating is normally triggered after 230F which is pretty hot. So if you haven't hurt the engine yet, you might end putting money on a hurt engine.

For your cooling issues alone. The timing cover has to come out and the water pump has to be pulled and replaced and the coolant passages need a full degrease + prayers. Coolant hoses do not like oil at all and tend to swell up.
Your heater core is probably full of oil as well.

The amount of work you have to do to save this engine might end up being the same amount of money as used engine in better condition.

Youd be taking a huge risk trying to clean the coolant passages and get everything oiless.
The following 2 users liked this post by BULL:
ILM-NC G37S (10-11-2022), rayycashh (10-11-2022)