Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

VR30 trans in an x?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 09:46 AM
nonlinearedits
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
VR30 trans in an x?

I've got a 2010 G37X with a stillen/vortech kit and a snow performance meth system spraying post blower into the charge pipe. The car sat for a year and a half and is now stalling randomly. I believe an injector is just sticking. However I'm at a point where I'm too busy with work and kids to play with this car and I kind of want to get rid of it. I was going to list it for sale as is but I'm concerned about some kid buying it, blowing something up treating it like trash and then bothering me about it like it's my fault. So that being said, I've also been considering sending the injectors out and also doing a VR30 trans swap on it and selling it like a little more polished up. I see these VR30 swaps everywhere now but I have yet to find the details on doing an AWD one. Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 07-12-2022, 07:29 PM
14Q60awdSPORT
Registered Member

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Do the swap with the vr30 tailhousing, transfer case, transmission crossbar and trans mount.

Then it is a direct bolt on besides your rear driveshaft being 7/8 of an inch too short. The front shaft from the VQ trans fits perfectly fine.
So either
A. find a spacer to fill the 7/8” gap
B. get a custom driveshaft made. (My choice)
C. Get a shop to lengthen your stock shaft. Which means re-tubing, at which point a custom shaft may or may not be a better option.

And regardless awd or rwd you need to drill out the bellhousing for the crank position sensor.

pretty simple swap.

I can verify this for awd coupe.
Not sedan. However I don’t see sedan being any different.

Last edited by 14Q60awdSPORT; 07-12-2022 at 07:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 14Q60awdSPORT:
jarvond (03-23-2024), Nengchang (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 12:58 PM
Nengchang
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 14Q60awdSPORT
Not sedan. However I don’t see sedan being any different.
Will be doing this on my AWD sedan, so I'll be able to provide specific insight later this summer. AWD coupe swaps are the closest examples I have been able to find but I'm confident that it'll be pretty similar as you've mentioned.

Absolutely recommend finding a donor with its tailhousing and transfer case. The common DIY limit always comes down to shaft length, and having the full AWD assembly limits that headache to the rear shaft. Being shorter in the end gives you the freedom to choose between a custom spacer or the driveshaft based on budget. I agree with 14Q60awdSPORT that option C is not very sensible considering the alternatives.

I've been messaging Godzilla Raceworks about my options for a driveshaft solution since they seem to be at the forefront of consumer VR30 trans swap support.

Here's an image I found off a Q50 forum:
VQ37 AWD assembly on the left
VR30 AWD assembly on the right

The OEM front propeller shaft should be a direct plug and play.

Last edited by Nengchang; 07-13-2022 at 01:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nengchang:
jarvond (03-23-2024), The Pope (07-14-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 01:03 PM
14Q60awdSPORT
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Nengchang
Will be doing this on my AWD sedan, so I'll be able to provide specific insight later this summer. AWD coupe swaps are the closest examples I have been able to find but I'm confident that it'll be pretty similar as you've mentioned.

Absolutely recommend finding a donor with its tailhousing and transfer case. The common DIY limit always comes down to shaft length, and having the full AWD assembly limits that headache to the rear shaft. Being shorter in the end gives you the freedom to choose between a custom spacer or the driveshaft based on budget.

I've been messaging Godzilla Raceworks about my options for a driveshaft solution since they seem to be at the forefront of consumer VR30 trans swap support.

Here's an image I found off a Q50 forum:
VQ37 AWD assembly on the left
VR30 AWD assembly on the right

The OEM front propeller shaft should be a direct plug and play.
Those are mine, You can tell by the creativity in forum names. lol.
The following users liked this post:
Nengchang (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 01:54 PM
Nengchang
Registered Member

Those are mine, You can tell by the creativity in forum names. lol.
It is a really good reference picture for us guys that skip reading the FSM so forum names are out of the question hahahah
Old 07-13-2022, 02:19 PM
14Q60awdSPORT
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Nengchang
It is a really good reference picture for us guys that skip reading the FSM so forum names are out of the question hahahah
It was a joke but I guess I should have clarified.

Creativity for user name on the forum.

Old 07-13-2022, 02:23 PM
Nengchang
Registered Member

It was a joke but I guess I should have clarified.

Creativity for user name on the forum.

Haha I got you, just ribbing for stealing your picture and then showing it back to you 😄
14Q60awdSPORT (07-13-2022)
Old 10-18-2023, 12:03 PM
BillyTheMan
Registered Member

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
I know this thread is about a year old but i figured it wad better to ask here than start another vr30 swap thread. My transmission went out a few weeks ago, my charger is also up on jack stands waiting on a new differential, everything goes down at once. Anyway I'm gonna do the vr30 swap since i just wasted a quite a bit building the oem 7at. Had a few questions i didn't find answers too. 1. I know i need the put my tcu on the vr30 transmission, someone said you need to swap the valve body too, is that true? 2. Driveshaft spacer is what i was going to use for the shaft length, what Driveshaft spacer are people using or has everyone gotten a custom Driveshaft made? 3. I have a fast intentions flex plate, will that work with the vr30 torque converter or no?
jarvond (03-23-2024)