Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help 2009 G37x intermittent limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 12:10 AM
speedemn
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 G37x intermittent limp mode

I have had this issue for quite a while now where my car will not rev past about 3200 RPM. It hits that rev mark like it is hitting the rev limiter whether I am accelerating moderately or at wide open throttle. The complexity however is that this only happens once the car is "properly" warmed up - and what I mean is not just engine coolant temp. up to operating temperature but once the car has been on the highway for a solid 20 min or so. When the car is "cold" and even warmed up before being up to full operating temperature I am able to freely rev and have all the low end power that I expect. But after a while of driving the car feels "limp" in the low end and will not rev past 3200 RPM. If I was to moderately accelerate at a high gear, keeping the revs below 3200 the car will get up to highway speeds and more just fine but does so quite slowly relative to if it were accelerating normally.

The check engine light is also sporadically on/off and there is a code that comes on and off but seems to be unrelated - P0455 (EVAP Gross Leak) and only once about a month ago did I get a P0524 (Engine Oil Pressure Too Low) code but that went away on its own and hasn't come back. I have had this limp mode/rev limit issue for about a year now.

The other thing to note is that in the summer when the car expectedly gets to full operating temperature quicker, the limp mode/rev cutoff at 3200 RPM condition happens much sooner. Now in the Winter with temperatures being sub-zero I can drive for a whole 10-15 min normally before it likely gets to full operating temperature when the limp mode feeling/rev cutoff at 3200 RPM comes on.

Also to note, if I stop the car and park for a little while where it gets a chance to cool down just a bit and I get back in and drive it, the car freely revs and has full low end power too. That is also why it is difficult to reproduce when I take it to the shop. The techs test drive it and it drives perfectly fine for them in their short 5 min drive around the block.

There are many threads I have gone through in this forum but none that have experienced the intermittent limp mode condition that I have described above. Even for me to isolate this pattern has taken a long time and a lot of research. I hope that there are is someone here that might have experienced something similar who can help.
Old 01-09-2022, 04:02 AM
Said Amir
Registered Member

Received 139 Likes on 111 Posts
https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...0524-code.html
Old 01-09-2022, 10:46 AM
speedemn
Registered Member

I did read that thread before posting as well. The P0524 code that I got came and went on its own a month ago and hasn't returned. The issues I described have been persisting for over a year.
Old 01-09-2022, 11:39 PM
Said Amir
Registered Member

Honestly, best to do an oil pressure test do not want to mess up the engine any further
Old 01-10-2022, 06:42 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 275 Posts
When the weather is warmer the oil heats up faster and oil pressure drops quicker. That may be why in the summer is happens so much faster than in the winter.
As mentioned, an oil pressure test should be your next step.
The P0524 code only shows up when the target and actual cam phasing is off.

Here is a nice step by step video:

Last edited by SonicVQ; 01-10-2022 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-10-2022, 11:54 PM
speedemn
Registered Member

Great video and the voice sounded familiar and at the end where you see the creator - I know him! lol
I was avidly involved in the Nissan Maxima scene back in the day and he was a member of the club before creating Motorvate.
Wow, small world.

I will give that a try if we get a mild day one of these days... a lot of sub-zero days up ahead!

EDIT... is that YOU? :-D
Old 01-11-2022, 09:23 AM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

Received 329 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by speedemn
Great video and the voice sounded familiar and at the end where you see the creator - I know him! lol
I was avidly involved in the Nissan Maxima scene back in the day and he was a member of the club before creating Motorvate.
Wow, small world.
Hey speedemm,
You are brining back good memories of GTA Maxima and when I swapped your Maxima's Y-pipe so you could pass emissions
Good luck on figuring out what is wrong with you G.
Old 01-12-2022, 12:16 AM
speedemn
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MotorvateDIY
Hey speedemm,
You are brining back good memories of GTA Maxima and when I swapped your Maxima's Y-pipe so you could pass emissions
Good luck on figuring out what is wrong with you G.
There he is! Long time, buddy! Nice to see you (virtually) again! No more E39?? I didn't realize you were into the Infiniti world now!

-21 out there this morning... motivation was low to crawl under the car and get that switch off and gauge on. lol
Old 01-12-2022, 09:04 AM
MotorvateDIY
Registered Member

Received 329 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by speedemn
There he is! Long time, buddy! Nice to see you (virtually) again! No more E39?? I didn't realize you were into the Infiniti world now!
-21 out there this morning... motivation was low to crawl under the car and get that switch off and gauge on. lol
I still have the E39. It has 418,000 KM and it runs great. I picked up a G37 in 2016 and that is when I started MotorvateDIY youtube channel and OBD4Everyone.

Good luck with your oil pressure test!
Old 01-12-2022, 10:09 PM
speedemn
Registered Member

I also found this thread a while back and couldn't locate it but just found it again. Any value in exploring this (while I wait for temperatures to warm up a bit to get under the car)?

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ml#post4281919

Seems like my symptom is in this list... or am I chasing a ghost until I do an oil pressure test?
Old 01-13-2022, 03:22 AM
Said Amir
Registered Member

It is best to do the worst-case scenario which is having low oil pressure. If that checks out then you can look at the smaller problems that can cause the car to go into limp mode. You do not want to start throwing money/parts onto a car and then have it be a bigger issue than expected.