Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help Ticking noise coming from driver side near the exhaust manifold

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 11:10 AM
ATHENSG37
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ticking noise coming from driver side near the exhaust manifold

I recently started to notice a noise on my 09 G37S coupe w/72,xxx miles when the car warms up. On cold start there is no ticking noise but after it warms up I hear a ticking near the driver side wheel or when I get under the car it sounds like its near the driver exhaust manifold. The ticks are probably 3-4 per second. Under the hood sounds absolutely normal with no valve train noise. I've heard of people having issues with VVEL noise on some cars but those noises are typically audible on the top side of the engine but I'm not sure. Could this be a manifold leak? My exhaust has been making more "pops" when I let off the gas which makes me think its suckin in some air but maybe its in my head. Any ideas on where to start? Thanks.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:11 AM
BeeW
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by ATHENSG37
I recently started to notice a noise on my 09 G37S coupe w/72,xxx miles when the car warms up. On cold start there is no ticking noise but after it warms up I hear a ticking near the driver side wheel or when I get under the car it sounds like its near the driver exhaust manifold. The ticks are probably 3-4 per second. Under the hood sounds absolutely normal with no valve train noise. I've heard of people having issues with VVEL noise on some cars but those noises are typically audible on the top side of the engine but I'm not sure. Could this be a manifold leak? My exhaust has been making more "pops" when I let off the gas which makes me think its suckin in some air but maybe its in my head. Any ideas on where to start? Thanks.
Still have oem Y-pipes? Thoae are right under the driver wheel/floor. Mine made ticking noises when warm, right before they rusted completely off, blew my drivers cat too... The aluminum shields trap all the salt inside and just destroy them. They'll look totally fine, until they're not.
​​The pops could be coming from the pressure imbalance from a hole in the exhaust, as well as running a little rich b/c of it.

I went with an ISR for my xS. Sounds nice, no drone. Definitely use sealant when installing.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:33 AM
ATHENSG37
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BeeW
Still have oem Y-pipes? Thoae are right under the driver wheel/floor. Mine made ticking noises when warm, right before they rusted completely off, blew my drivers cat too... The aluminum shields trap all the salt inside and just destroy them. They'll look totally fine, until they're not.
​​The pops could be coming from the pressure imbalance from a hole in the exhaust, as well as running a little rich b/c of it.

I went with an ISR for my xS. Sounds nice, no drone. Definitely use sealant when installing.
I actually have a new Ypipe on the way. I have a suspicion its leaking, doesnt sound like it on idle but when I accelerate it does. We'll see i guess...