Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

EPS discontinued their pcv breather kit, heres a video I found as alternative

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 11:10 PM
bread
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
admintuning + catch can questions answers concerns

update: just read the replies about the debates, the concerns, questions, and answers and feel free to leave your setups, opinions, questions comments concerns in the replies

Same kit, lower price. I'll be trying his method out because EPS discontinued it, and I need it with my admin intakes. Just need a drill with a very small drill bit

Last edited by bread; 10-07-2021 at 11:25 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by bread:
Bravo at (06-01-2021), jpowersjr2 (05-26-2021), The Pope (05-26-2021)
Old 05-26-2021, 09:12 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 732 Likes on 569 Posts
The most common mistake a lot of folks make is undermining the engineering of this system because it did not age well. Nissan engineers along with many know what they were doing. The issue is that we jump to conclusions on the first issue we find and fail to look at the bigger picture. Your video illustrates 1 of the many methods of achieving a result that benefits the owner and nothing else. In no way this should be taken as fact, just because it works for a couple of months or miles doesnt give it the stamp. Ask yourself if this mod would survive a decade. You have a Q50 so it would take sometime until you see for yourself, Folks with HRs and early VHRs are starting to find this out now.

So the PCV system for the VQ is similar to the standard PCV of most cars however it plays an essential role regardless of what you read. The main reason you see these bypasses and deletes is over time and engine wear the system stops working efficiently and leaks oil into the manifold slightly lowering octane from mixing oil vapors into the combustion. The VQ needs the least amount of blow-by pressure as possible to keep seals happy and provide the performance expected, pressure in the crank case means that the pistons slightly fight this pressure resulting in slight strains so adding some sort of vacuuming of this pressure will keep seals and pressure happy however this is not easily obtained without the oil contamination side effect. Manufacturers cannot install catch cans in vehicles, folks would never check/service them.

There is another benefit from the PCV system and it's this constant vacuum on the crank case relieves those vapors and has been proven to shorten the time it takes for oil to cool without the need of an oil cooler. Some VQs bring a Cooler/warmer but this is that, a cooler/warmer. If you monitor your Oil temps with OBD apps you'll find that in spirited drives oil can get up to 220s degrees really easily without a cooler and if you monitor this you'll see what I mean. In your basic street driving this effect might not be significant however if you are the type of individual who would love to his the circuit you'd see you'll probably only be able to make 2 laps before the oil is up to 240+ degrees. An oil cooler can solve this however the PCV in place would have helped extend that time as well. At WOT the PCV valve is closed but the Breather port which you blocked would be working fully, If you paid attention to the OEM plastic tube that goes into the intake pipe you'll see it's tapered to provide a Venturi effect to help scavenge these gases as they're lazy. A proper working system would be similar to the OEM just slightly bigger and oil separators on the feeds to the intake, draw backs of this is looks, another way is the typical old school way of adding a vacuum pump to pull to pull these gasses out of the engine the only draw back of this is you'd need to dump these gases out instead of benefiting from their composition which will help with efficiency which these cars already suffer from.
The following 3 users liked this post by BULL:
Bravo at (06-01-2021), bread (05-26-2021), socketz67 (12-09-2022)
Old 05-26-2021, 09:15 AM
bread
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL
The most common mistake a lot of folks make is undermining the engineering of this system because it did not age well. Nissan engineers along with many know what they were doing. The issue is that we jump to conclusions on the first issue we find and fail to look at the bigger picture. Your video illustrates 1 of the many methods of achieving a result that benefits the owner and nothing else. In no way this should be taken as fact, just because it works for a couple of months or miles doesnt give it the stamp. Ask yourself if this mod would survive a decade. You have a Q50 so it would take sometime until you see for yourself, Folks with HRs and early VHRs are starting to find this out now.

So the PCV system for the VQ is similar to the standard PCV of most cars however it plays an essential role regardless of what you read. The main reason you see these bypasses and deletes is over time and engine wear the system stops working efficiently and leaks oil into the manifold slightly lowering octane from mixing oil vapors into the combustion. The VQ needs the least amount of blow-by pressure as possible to keep seals happy and provide the performance expected, pressure in the crank case means that the pistons slightly fight this pressure resulting in slight strains so adding some sort of vacuuming of this pressure will keep seals and pressure happy however this is not easily obtained without the oil contamination side effect. Manufacturers cannot install catch cans in vehicles, folks would never check/service them.

There is another benefit from the PCV system and it's this constant vacuum on the crank case relieves those vapors and has been proven to shorten the time it takes for oil to cool without the need of an oil cooler. Some VQs bring a Cooler/warmer but this is that, a cooler/warmer. If you monitor your Oil temps with OBD apps you'll find that in spirited drives oil can get up to 220s degrees really easily without a cooler and if you monitor this you'll see what I mean. In your basic street driving this effect might not be significant however if you are the type of individual who would love to his the circuit you'd see you'll probably only be able to make 2 laps before the oil is up to 240+ degrees. An oil cooler can solve this however the PCV in place would have helped extend that time as well. At WOT the PCV valve is closed but the Breather port which you blocked would be working fully, If you paid attention to the OEM plastic tube that goes into the intake pipe you'll see it's tapered to provide a Venturi effect to help scavenge these gases as they're lazy. A proper working system would be similar to the OEM just slightly bigger and oil separators on the feeds to the intake, draw backs of this is looks, another way is the typical old school way of adding a vacuum pump to pull to pull these gasses out of the engine the only draw back of this is you'd need to dump these gases out instead of benefiting from their composition which will help with efficiency which these cars already suffer from.
not my video. should i go with a catch can then? bigger investment for sure

im running admin intakes, need something temporary until further notice, suggestions and advice helps!
Old 05-26-2021, 09:31 AM
projectpanda13
Registered Member

Received 279 Likes on 229 Posts
if you want to do a PCV valve delete, you can get these fittings from CJM and just find some -8AN lines and do a vented catch can.
https://www.z1motorsports.com/engine...RoCoE0QAvD_BwE

I run a closed system, I tapped my 3" intakes and put a threaded-to-barb fitting to keep the rear ports connected.
Old 05-26-2021, 10:35 AM
BULL
Moderador

Like I stated before it all depends on what you're looking for. If looks dont concern, catch them all pokemon style.
If they do I suggest you buy two of these, pull the plastic 90 degree off the Delco valve and fit them over your factory PCV.
This will let you run a 3/8s hose where ever you want in the bay.

This is how I would incorporate cans into the system. As you see it's similar to the stock system, reason why is because it works. Problem with Nissan's way is that it does not compensate for wear and increased blow-by which is why a can/separator is needed.
Old 05-26-2021, 12:10 PM
bread
Registered Member

Like I stated before it all depends on what you're looking for. If looks dont concern, catch them all pokemon style.
If they do I suggest you buy two of these, pull the plastic 90 degree off the Delco valve and fit them over your factory PCV.
This will let you run a 3/8s hose where ever you want in the bay.

This is how I would incorporate cans into the system. As you see it's similar to the stock system, reason why is because it works. Problem with Nissan's way is that it does not compensate for wear and increased blow-by which is why a can/separator is needed.
another way you can do it, instead of breathers, plug the purple line, and guide that line to the catch can from where you would put the breather, and red lines as well. question is, how do i know where which line goes where.
found a video to do a diy catch can setup with $25(each) cans and some tubing n stuff. might give it a whirl instead of spending $400 lol
Old 05-26-2021, 12:50 PM
BULL
Moderador

Negative. You need a vacuum source. More importantly Those specific ones.

I re-routed my setup to T from the Evap nipples in the manifold and ended up with too much vacuum being pulled. The ones from the front are pull just the right amount.

The system needs the vacuum, the breather is there to provided metered air which serves as entry and exit depending on throttle angle. If our cars did not have a MAF you could put filters on the breathers and it would be fine. Those that run the PCV with breathers will get misfire over time at idle when the since it's not metering this air. By moving all valve cover points to a single can you then introduce collapsing if you leave it on vacuum only without a relief and by not adding a vacuum source you're essentially atmospherically containing those lazy gases.

The size of the 6 tiny holes in the manifold + the size of the two barbs + the types of PCV valves all create a controlled air leak which the ecu compensates for. If youve ever looked inside of the breather you'll see it's just a tiny hole to prevent too much air going in and out.

Old 05-26-2021, 12:53 PM
bread
Registered Member

Negative. You need a vacuum source. More importantly Those specific ones.

I re-routed my setup to T from the Evap nipples in the manifold and ended up with too much vacuum being pulled. The ones from the front are pull just the right amount.

The system needs the vacuum, the breather is there to provided metered air which serves as entry and exit depending on throttle angle. If our cars did not have a MAF you could put filters on the breathers and it would be fine. Those that run the PCV with breathers will get misfire over time at idle when the since it's not metering this air. By moving all valve cover points to a single can you then introduce collapsing if you leave it on vacuum only without a relief and by not adding a vacuum source you're essentially atmospherically containing those lazy gases.

The size of the 6 tiny holes in the manifold + the size of the two barbs + the types of PCV valves all create a controlled air leak which the ecu compensates for. If youve ever looked inside of the breather you'll see it's just a tiny hole to prevent too much air going in and out.

take a look at admintunings catch can setup. pcvs are blocked off in the front and he has lines going to the side pcv's
Old 05-26-2021, 01:03 PM
BULL
Moderador

This is an example of how im running my setup.

As you see in green Im running Z1 hoses stuffed.
In red are the new hoses for my PCV
Orange is the T into the EVAP nipples
Yellow is vacuum.

I still have it like this and it's been this way for over 1 year. No oil burning confirmed by checking of oil levels however my engine was not one that had blow by issues. It's also confirmed by the clear hose attached to the throttles vacuum spot. They are slightly brown. I've always tried to use this hose for breathers or PCVs to visually see how much oil it sees. Dark brown quickly will confirm that it's seen it's share of oil.

To improve my setup I'll move the red hoses to a can by the brake fluid reservoir and recirculate it back to the manifold.

Old 05-26-2021, 01:06 PM
bread
Registered Member

This is an example of how im running my setup.

As you see in green Im running Z1 hoses stuffed.
In red are the new hoses for my PCV
Orange is the T into the EVAP nipples
Yellow is vacuum.

I still have it like this and it's been this way for over 1 year. No oil burning confirmed by checking of oil levels however my engine was not one that had blow by issues. It's also confirmed by the clear hose attached to the throttles vacuum spot. They are slightly brown. I've always tried to use this hose for breathers or PCVs to visually see how much oil it sees. Dark brown quickly will confirm that it's seen it's share of oil.

To improve my setup I'll move the red hoses to a can by the brake fluid reservoir and recirculate it back to the manifold.
so i wanted to run catch cans next to the coolant reservoir, how should i approach the green line. admin intakes dont have a spot for those, they just hang there, should i take it off and plug it, or run lines to where the green line is. and then the red line is where i'd also run lines to. thanks for the help
Old 05-26-2021, 01:33 PM
BULL
Moderador

So Admin's cans are Atmospheric and not recirculated my setup is recirculated.
Post a picture of the specific Can or Cans you want and where you'd like them and I'll draw something for you.
Old 05-26-2021, 01:34 PM
bread
Registered Member

So Admin's cans are Atmospheric and not recirculated my setup is recirculated.
Post a picture of the specific Can or Cans you want and where you'd like them and I'll draw something for you.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/113953459008 x 2 cans
admintuning intakes (so no side breather port)
cans to the left of the reservoir
Old 05-26-2021, 02:07 PM
Birdie
Registered Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by bread
Same kit, lower price. I'll be trying his method out because EPS discontinued it, and I need it with my admin intakes. Just need a drill with a very small drill bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dQv4QC3jXw

If you are being tuned by admin as well, seeing as you are installing his intakes I would go this route.
Old 05-26-2021, 02:08 PM
BULL
Moderador

You have to decide if you want to run Atmopheric (Open) or Recirculated (Closed) the ones you posted work but are terrible at the location of the hoses, mainly because twin cans are not "Mirrored" meaning the routing of the hoses wont look good even if you placed them on each ends

This was the only pic I found with those cans in a VHR. As you can see he still has his breathers which means this is a closed setup.

Old 05-26-2021, 02:09 PM
BULL
Moderador

In my opinion the breather holes in these engines dont leak that much oil in comparison to the PCVs but they do require to drill the intakes.
If you dont want to drill them you'll need more cans and you'll also need to choose whether Open or Closed setup.

Quick Reply: EPS discontinued their pcv breather kit, heres a video I found as alternative