Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

EPS discontinued their pcv breather kit, heres a video I found as alternative

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 12:01 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
I wonder if I could separate the halves of a HR and VHR manifold and use the bottom of the HR (for runner resonance tuning) and the top of the VHR with all the vac ports. Other than epoxy no idea how to weld them back together.
Old 01-21-2022, 02:07 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
I wonder if I could separate the halves of a HR and VHR manifold and use the bottom of the HR (for runner resonance tuning) and the top of the VHR with all the vac ports. Other than epoxy no idea how to weld them back together.
I've been contemplating at the separating of the manifold for a while now. I think I saw only one and it was at Z1 that was separated however it was a clean separation(unsure how they did it). I have a HR and VHR manifold at the house and from the bottom you can see how different they are. Runners are a different size and though they look similar on the outside as you sandwich them together internally many things wont align and might cause turbulence.

If I ever find a simple way of separation I might be willing to try it.
Old 01-21-2022, 02:30 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Z1 has a 4D cad milling machine (they use it for porting lower intake manifolds and prototyping) - I saw them milling a plastic copy of a LIM at ZNats.

I think they are friction-stir welded by the manufacturer - nylon based plastic probably won't do well with solvent-based glue. To me, they look like the runners and horns are attached to the bottom - the top just seals off the plenums on either side; there's cross-over between both sides but it's chaotic (IE not an airflow passage but just space between the castings).
Old 02-06-2022, 10:48 PM
bread
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
@BULL about a 10-20k mile update idk how long its been a while lol, tons of blowby on the driver side!!! im so happy with how well the ebay system works! The passenger side had like nothing though, is this normal or should I look into it?

Old 02-06-2022, 11:17 PM
2.2Lude
Registered Member

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by bread
@BULL about a 10-20k mile update idk how long its been a while lol, tons of blowby on the driver side!!! im so happy with how well the ebay system works! The passenger side had like nothing though, is this normal or should I look into it?
During my first check around 1,700 miles the driver side and passenger banks had caught the same amount. After checking again around 3,500 miles the passenger side was basically the same but the driver side had a lot more. I didn’t measure exactly how much but seems to match your results.
Old 02-06-2022, 11:21 PM
bread
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 2.2Lude
During my first check around 1,700 miles the driver side and passenger banks had caught the same amount. After checking again around 3,500 miles the passenger side was basically the same but the driver side had a lot more. I didn’t measure exactly how much but seems to match your results.
i mean it was like, not bone dry but enough to coat your finger. the driver side was about a 2 shots full
Old 02-06-2022, 11:25 PM
2.2Lude
Registered Member

i mean it was like, not bone dry but enough to coat your finger. the driver side was about a 2 shots full
This was my initial check at 1,700 miles, both sides about the same:

Didn’t measure or take a picture at 3,500 but passenger side stayed the same.
Old 02-06-2022, 11:35 PM
BULL
Moderador

it appears the drivers side collects a bit more from the general concensus. I have not given it much tought though I wonder if shape and form of the breathers have something to do with it.

I also wonder then if it could be that you're having pcv issues. We're they new pcv valves?

Monitor both cans during oil changes, see if you can dump some carb cleaner through the pcv holes to see if it's dirty pcv gallery inside the intake manifold.
Old 02-06-2022, 11:38 PM
2.2Lude
Registered Member

For another data point both my PCV valves were replaced a few thousand miles prior to the catch cans being installed.
Old 02-07-2022, 10:11 AM
BULL
Moderador

Originally Posted by 2.2Lude
For another data point both my PCV valves were replaced a few thousand miles prior to the catch cans being installed.
There has also been reports of levels being different between both cans.

I suggest for both of you to run a full can of carb/brake clean through the ports in the Manifold to discard as many variables as possible.

Lastly would be to determine if breather design has anything to do with can collection.

Pre conclusion: being that the VHR does not use a balance tube like the DE or HR might be the reason why the unevenness. Unless the breather plays any effect then it would solely reflect the vapors that each bank typically sees. They only share the timing cover area and once these lighter/hotter gasses leave the crankcase, they wont mix once they're in the head.

Thanks for the data guys!
Old 02-07-2022, 10:21 AM
bread
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL
There has also been reports of levels being different between both cans.

I suggest for both of you to run a full can of carb/brake clean through the ports in the Manifold to discard as many variables as possible.

Lastly would be to determine if breather design has anything to do with can collection.

Pre conclusion: being that the VHR does not use a balance tube like the DE or HR might be the reason why the unevenness. Unless the breather plays any effect then it would solely reflect the vapors that each bank typically sees. They only share the timing cover area and once these lighter/hotter gasses leave the crankcase, they wont mix once they're in the head.

Thanks for the data guys!
is it safe to use carb cleaner straight into the manifold? never heard of such thing. i know what carb cleaner is, i worked at advance for a while but never heard of any modern engine receiving it.

pcv valves were new, and gutted by yours truly (me, bread, and myself bread)
breather position might have something to do with it, or maybe position of the cans are either "too high" or in a location where it stays consistently hot so it doesnt have time to turn from vapor into liquid.

i didnt take a photo of my gunk cause i was in a rush, though its stored in a plastic bottle, and i was very much impressed by my ghetto ebay work!

will keep updated
Old 02-07-2022, 12:35 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Anyone have pics of the underside of the valve covers? It the PCV hole just open to the entire area, or is it shrouded in any way that could be different between the sides?

So... with the VHR they went to separate PCV breather systems vs the single vac port the HR has. I doubt packaging or cost reduction had much to do with it, so... what is the advantage? If we can know that, then we could determine what goes potentially down the hill if we incorporate a balance tube for the VHR.
Old 02-07-2022, 03:17 PM
BULL
Moderador

Originally Posted by rotarymike
Anyone have pics of the underside of the valve covers? It the PCV hole just open to the entire area, or is it shrouded in any way that could be different between the sides?

So... with the VHR they went to separate PCV breather systems vs the single vac port the HR has. I doubt packaging or cost reduction had much to do with it, so... what is the advantage? If we can know that, then we could determine what goes potentially down the hill if we incorporate a balance tube for the VHR.
They are shrouded and they look different, so possibility of the shape and it's condition that will determine.

I know back in the day DEs were common to clog PCV canals and when changing VCs when doing gaskets it would improve MPGs due to better flowing PCV
Old 02-09-2022, 11:54 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Interesting. Man, I *really* need to pick up a used engine.
Old 05-08-2022, 04:06 PM
bread
Registered Member

@bull update # idek anymore

you said use carb cleaner in the pcv valves, is this safe to do on the motor?

also, with doing my oil change, and its been like 3500 miles, i havent seen any signs of oil in the catch cans. I cleaned my filters too (lots of super clean and soapy water, then ran through it until it came out clear)
My catch cans are near dry, just very thin coat on the bottom.
Previous oil:
Liquimoly supertech
New Oil:
Mobil 1 Ext Perf. High Mile.

Also following this thread too:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/general...il-change.html

What do you think?

Quick Reply: EPS discontinued their pcv breather kit, heres a video I found as alternative